Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a 94 Fleetwood.

It has 163K but runs and drives good.

The back window has fallen in the door(Window roller issue) and the trunk lock has been punched.

The interior is dirty but I can clean it. It is also missing the chrome on the rear passenger fender.

What do the fleetwood guys think that it is worth?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I couldn't get a couple grand for mine with a ton of new parts ready to go and only 100k on the clock. With new tires, SS mags and an excellent interior.

Call it $750

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't get a couple grand for mine with a ton of new parts ready to go and only 100k on the clock. With new tires, SS mags and an excellent interior.

Call it $750

That sucks! I guess I will pass

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He was looking for 800 and I was going to offer less. I planned on fixing the problems and selling it for 2000 obo or so. I figure the drive train is worth that. I wanted to flip it for some extra cash for my wagon build to help with paint costs

Did your car have any floor rust issues ?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
No, no rust...

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=339986

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=350746

This is definitely not a good time to be trying to flip these things, or so it seems to me. They have all, FWB, Caprice and Roady, entered that point where they are generally too old for daily drivers and too new to be collectible. Most cars go through it around 20 years old. For most that's it since they are never collectible. For these I think we'll just see a low point for a few years and they'll start to climb.

Good time to buy if you can sit on them, or the parts, anyway.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could get it cheap but I already have two projects that aren't finished.
Wish I could move it for 1500 bucks or so

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
depends on your market too for resale. Down here in FL or Cali, it'd probably go a for a bit more though not alot.

Much of public perception is that a car with over say 130K it pretty tired. We know otherwise, but that's general perception. Like Scott said though now is not the time to buy and flip. Buy and sit on for 10 years yes, but not many of us have the space or $$ to do that....

I just bought mine very clean with 140K on it for around 2500, but its no rust nice interior and eat off the engine clean. Needs a new top on it though otherwise it'd been a 3K car.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to look at the car and it was much rougher than I thought.
I got him down to 650 but it was missing a bunch of crap
It sucks but the car is going to a demo derby now :(

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Oh God, I hate demos. Offer him $500. If it runs right it's worth that. The rocker trim is valuable and the engine will certainly bring a chunk of cash. People occasionally pop up wanting the wheels, too.

Hell, if it's the neutral beige interior I'll buy the passenger seat from you if it's in good shape.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh God, I hate demos. Offer him $500. If it runs right it's worth that. The rocker trim is valuable and the engine will certainly bring a chunk of cash. People occasionally pop up wanting the wheels, too.

Hell, if it's the neutral beige interior I'll buy the passenger seat from you if it's in good shape.
I hate them too. Why smash up a good car

Its blue interior and it isn't that bad. I wish I had the time to part it.:(.

I don't have the time otherwise I would pay him the 650

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you are going to sit on one buy quickly. Over the past 5 years Fleetwood prices have almost doubled for low mile examples. When I bought my first in 08 it was not to difficult to find one within 500 miles of my home with under 40k on the clock for 5~k. Now try 8 or 9 for a rust free and clean car with that sort of mileage. Prices are climbing all the time and its now very hard to find one with under 30k for under 11g. I'm not saying they cannot be found for less. They can and that's how I make my living. But it's a full time job and you have to be willing to fly all around the country to find them in that shape. They are quickly eclipsing the Impala SS as the most expensive used Anerican 4 door from the 90s. And as well they should. They made 5x as many Impalas and everyone and their brother put one away because of the muscle car price spike that happend between the 80s and when the the impala hit the streets in the 90s. Because of that they really have no collectibility as they are about as far from rare as an LT1 vette. The Fleetwoods were not only made in much lower quantities but very very few put them away as collectibles. The Fleetwood and the B4U Caprices are the investment cars, period. Impalas have the value they do, not for its collector value, but because it was and is a unique and very desirable car.

Rare 90's cars to me are as follows:

1. A gen 3 Firehawk
2. C4 ZR1's (especially a 93; 40th anniversary, first year for 405hp, last year for the good bolstered seats)
3. 96-97 WS6's (especially formulas and convertibles)
4. Gen 4 LT4 Fbodys
5. C4 GS
6. Fleetwood (especially V4P's)
7. Caprice B4U

I am admitably a GM guy for the most part and only care for V8 and up RWD cars but I'm sure the 454 SS, Syclone, and Typhoon deserve to be on that list

My suggestion is if you find one with under 90k on the clock in good shape for 2500 buy it and it will not take but a couple of weeks to sell it for more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rare 90's cars to me are as follows:
6. Fleetwood (especially V4P's)

These LT1 Cadillacs are hardly rare... low mileage Cadillacs of any model year are not that uncommon. I know of three 1994-96 Fleetwoods in my area that have less than 10,000 miles on them, one of them (with the V4P trailer package) just a tick over 5,000.

The problem is they don't come up for sale very often. I've had my '95 since '96 and will not be selling it next year or in 20 years. The other 2 owners have had theirs since new as well and seem happy with them and baring any major mechanical problem or an accident I don't see them selling them anytime in the near future either.

My '95 has never been my primary car, nor has it been even my 2nd or 3rd... it's just another car that I have that I drive occasionally and I see a lot of cars like that not just Cadillacs.

The Fleetwoods you see for sale are either a dead man's car or been 'round the block a few times. The majority of car buyers fall into the "we trade them in every 3-4 years regardless" category and now after 20 years they have had multiple owners and/or have been well used and are completely worn out and fit for the crusher. But don't think for one minute that there aren't a handful of low-mileage examples in garages all over the country!

·
Registered
63 Posts
With roughly 12k total built we will have to agree to disagree.

Only sedan built in my lifetime that's rarer is a 03/04 Marauder at roughly 11k total production, if memory serves.
The marauder is also a rebadged grand marquis. It shares the same body panels and chassis. The fleetwood is completely unique besides the front doors and drivetrain.

Could you explain which 4 door your think is more rare?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also buy from the original owners quite frequently, with my business that is based off of these cars. Mostly Fleetwoods and I have traveled the country buying them for the past 7.5 years.

Maybe a serious and well known collector such as Matt Garett can explain in better than I.

http://www.mcsmk8.com/96-BRHM-BLK/96-BRHM.html

Follow that link to the last owner of the last brougham ever made.

It listed at 120k (no not a typo) and he proved to me that he had payed 80k for the car when he bought it. Great info from a great collector. It has sold within the last couple of months and I am unsure of to whom. But if he was asking 120 do you think he took 12k ? With the collection he has aquired (look at his other cars on the same site) I doubt it. Now can you name one other 4 door or even any other car at all from the 90s decade that commands that price? What's the most you have seen a brand new impala ss (yes there are a bunch out there still) sold for recently?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I suppose there's a niche looking for low-mile stock units. Personally I can't imagine paying a premium for a car at the lowest ebb of its value which is never going to have a big collector following. If I had thought there was any serious value in these things I'd have not racked up miles on my two owner car. I'd have kept any of the half-dozen I've had over the years. I just don't see it.

There's a niche who'll trade them around among themselves. Otherwise, they are just a fairly nice car to turn into something more interesting.

As for Marauders, I know where there are two small-town cop cars heading for retirement soon. Had another low mile one thru auction recently. Brought a whopping $2800 or so.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes the car was for sale. With a 120k price tag.

The cars are already crossing the auction blocks at both Barrett-Jackson and Mecum. I do agree that the cars are as low as they will be but were much lower 5 years past. I buy a lot of them and have seen the decline in numbers of both low mileage and well kept examples.

You have to remember this car signifies the end of the Cadillac in most traditionalists eyes and most serious collectors are traditionalists.

This was the last American car with exposed steel bumpers, the last car to have the tank fill behind the license plate (along with others B's), the last car to have the fiber optic headlight monitoring system, the last full size body on frame Cadillac (a recipe that built Cadillac), the last 6 passenger RWD Caddy, presumably the last car to ever carry the Brougham nameplate (which was the longest running nameplate in American history at that time), it was the first Cadillac to ever recieve a Corvette derived engine, the car was startlingly and unexpectadly fast when it was new (especially V4P's) with little competition at the time for quick, full size, 4 doors, and lastly it was built and sold in very low numbers ~12k between 4 years at a time when Lincoln sold well over 100k Town Cars PER YEAR! So ~12k versus ~400k plus. Doesn't say much for Cadillacs profits at the time but these are the kind of rare oddball cars that collectors will be nuts over in 20 years.

Ill have to agree to disagree. I want it to be clear, I am not saying that this car will be a multi-million dollar car (in todays dollars, such as a hemi cuda comvertible) that you could bank your retirement on. It is simply a car that if kept original, with low miles, and in pristine condition, will appreciate and would be a decent investment. You have to remember that 3k per year (so 9k LT1 cars) would have been very low numbers for a trim line in the 60's (never mind the 90's) and we are not talking about a trim line we are talking about a seperate model altogether. For example how many 1970 Lemans were built? I do not know the answer but its a huge figure. Now how many were GTOs? Well in 1970 there were 40k built alone. That's one year. Not 4 years and that is over 3x the number of Fleetwoods built in a 4 year period. There were just shy of 3800 Judges built in 1970 which is greater than the average number of Fleetwoods built per year. Now that is a special package on a special model of a mass produced car that shared almost everything besides trim and badging with one another. So now if we could dive into the number of Broughams (our gto haha even though I bet more cars were broughams than weren't) built out of the roughly 9k LT1 cars and then how many were V4Ps (our Judge).

Idk maybe I am the only one who sees it but the numbers do not lie. Especially when you consider the population expansion between 1970 and 1994 and adjust for that disparity.

The 1994-1996 is an extremely rare and unique car. What will make it very valuable is if people continue to not see it making them more rare by the year. As they say nothing that's built as a collectible (impala ss) is ever collectible. It's the ones that you didn't see coming that makes a collectible and from the responses I am hearing I would say we are well on the way!

Sorry to ramble on again haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts