Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I'm looking at buying a 95 9c1. I've never had a b-body before, but I always did like the Impalas ever since seeing them on the dealer's lot when I was in middle school. So with that, and the desire to own something fast that can fit my wife and two kids, I started looking on Craigslist for a regular Caprice. What I found, that I'm very interested in, is a 95 9c1, rust free Alabama car, with a 383 and t56. My first question is, what do I look for or check out on these? How is a 383 for a daily driver? I hear that mileage is good on stock cars, how good or bad is it with a stroker? It's got 4.56 gears, which seems a little high for a driver, what do you think? It is likely to see highway miles.
I haven't contacted the owner yet since I have a house to close on first but I'm certainly going to ask him/her questions before I drive 3 hours one way to see it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Using that car as a daily driver is not recommended.

I think you're better off finding a plain jane Caprice. Most 94-96 will still have the LT-1 (check!) Keep an eye out for a low mileage one owner car. They can still be found, but it will take some work.

And just remember these car are over 20 years old.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'd guess that a 383-T56-4.56 combo would get low 20s for highway MpGs so long as you kept your foot out of it, but better than 13 metro-urban MpG would be very impressive and very unlikely.
(My idea of 'metro-urban' is the 5boros of NYC.)

With a 4L60E, 3.42 & 3.73 are usually great axle gears.
With a T56, 3.73 becomes the absolutely barely adequate minimum, except MAYBE for the crazy person who needs highway MpGs very badly; anything under that is just plain DUMB.
4.10 & 4.56 are much wiser choices, even with a 383. (You MIGHT consider 4.10 for a daily driver unless most of your mileage will be metro-urban.)

Ask about the condition of the fueling, ignition, and ancillary electrical systems.
I'm also always concerned about the brakes, steering, & suspension.

Unless it's in very impressive condition, I pretty much agree with jiml. I'll add that I think you may wish to widen your vista to include RoadMasters & Fleetwoods as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of my driving is to work and back, about 20 minutes of back roads, not much stop and go. Same with going to any store, I'm surrounded by farms.

What makes it not suitable for daily use?

I looked at a few Fleetwoods, I just don't care for them. Originally I wanted a wagon, but they are few and far between where I am.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
They said not suitable for daily use, from the perspective of you will be pissing thru fuel like crazy cuz of the hungry motor and rear end gears.

I suppose you could change gears and have the PCM tuned again for MPG and the gear change obviously.

you have a good amount of things to weigh with the car, its not stock LT1 and has T56 no a 4L60E. The manors of the car are great weekend warrior and drag car.

Good Luck and have fun !
-ALF out...

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I would not run anything less than 4.56's with a t-56. I say have it checked out by a mechanic and if it is in good shape, go for it. Read up on these cars here on the forum. You will not use gobs of gas unless you get on it a lot which you will be tempted. If you drive that little to work and back, get out on the weekend and drive it. Short trips like that are bad for your car. Also, both 5th and 6th are overdrive gears so your 4.56's will be fine on the highway. I wish I had that setup. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When considering B-Bodies... Remember Lt1 only came in 94-96.

Also remember that the Civilian Caprice normally came with the "red headed step child" 4.3 and was very unlikely they came with the Lt1.
For 9C1 Caprices the LT1 was an option but I have seen 9C1's with the 4.3 as well.

The Impala SS only came with the LT1 and I am unsure about the other sedans if they came stock with Lt1 or not (Buick, Cadillac). The Wagons I drove when I was a taxi driver all had the Lt1's so I don't know if the wagons were standard or not. You will want to look at the VIN to see what engine it came with. The 4.3 and 5.7 engines look identical on the external.

Rodney

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Only two Caprice wagons ever came with a 4.3L L99 V8. 1G1BL82W1RR100027 is the VIN for one of them, I never found the VIN for the other one.
By now, odds are no one ever will.

Apart from the above exceptions:
ALL 94-96 B-wagons and ALL 94-96 Buick RoadMasters came with LT1, and either 2.56 or 2.93.
ALL 94-96 Cadillac Fleetwoods came with LT1, and either 2.56, 2.93 … or 3.42.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
35% of 9C1's had the l99. Not all civilian cars were L99's. All B4U's came with the LT-1 and Posi and have other nice features. Try to avoid patrol cars and taxis.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Daily? Wife and kids? You want a wagon. Speaking as someone that has owned a 9C1, an SS with a T56, and a bunch of wagons. Go buy the cleanest lowest mileage rust free one you can afford. Buy smart, and you'll drive it for free (value will hold).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We've got a minivan too, it's the wife's ride. We usually take that when it's the four of us, my current ride is a 99 Grand Cherokee, lifted and converted to stick shift. It's a trail rig also, so not the prettiest.

Another question, it's listed for $6500, is that about right? He says the conversion was done by Three Pedals (has the shift knob and engine nameplate) and cost $10k.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
35% of 9C1s had the L99. Not all civilian cars were L99s.
What percentage of civilian Caprice sedans were L99s?
What percentage of Caprices were wagons?
What percentage of RoadMasters were wagons?
All B4Us came with the LT1 and Posi and have other nice features.
So far as I know, ALL civilian LT1 Caprice sedans came with B4U, G80, GW9, KD1, V92, V08.
Try to avoid patrol cars and taxis.
Obviously, avoid ALL 9C6s, because ALL 9C6s had 4.3L engines.
2 out of 3 9C1s had LT1s, but after 22-25 years, they're likely in worse shape than most civilian Caprices, which is the other reason why I suggested including RoadMasters & Fleetwoods.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
....I looked at a few Fleetwoods, I just don't care for them......

Well ok, but let me offer that with advancing age one acquires more refined taste and appreciation for classic lines. Just heads-up you could be turned. This is why I decided on a FWB as my daily driver. Twice. Having said that let me also offer that there is no guarantee of attaining the maturity associated with this same advancing age. That's why I also have an Impala SS.

Cliffs: Fer cryin' out loud. Just buy the dam stroker and be done with it. Whatever silly gas mileage you get or don't ain't gonna mean $YHI when you're in it. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stupid phone sent the post before I was done... I was going to say my main reason for the post was to ask if there are certain problems with these I should look for.
Unfortunately I can't just go buy it now, I'm in the middle of selling a house and when that's done and the money is in my account is when I'll be contacting sellers.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Cliffs: Fer cryin' out loud. Just buy the dam stroker and be done with it. Whatever silly gas mileage you get or don't ain't gonna mean $YHI when you're in it. ;)[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with Bob. It's nice looking car though (except interior needs clean up). Just be prepared for the old "other person's trouble" quote.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Regardless of what came in what, the car I asked about has a 383. https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/1995-caprice-9c1-383stroker/6590213775.html
If it was on E-bay with a "buy it now" button you should.
Half the customizing that people do is already done.

maybe the guy will hold it for you with $500 deposit. Otherwise just start looking when you have cash in hand.

AFA problems, just test drive first, touch all buttons and knobs to see what will need fixing...A/c, power seats, etc.....
The rest you will have to deal with no matter what B-body you buy. This one is good too cuz low rust.

-ALF out....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts