Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out last year and picked up my first B body, a 96 B4U Caprice. After driving the car for about 3 days, it became one of the best friends I have ever had ! Wow, very impressed, loved it .... About 2 months ago I was offered a handsome amount of money for the car and sold it ... Great experience, I drove the car for a year, had a ton of fun with it and turned a decent profit.

Took me about a month and I found a 95 RMS , super mint, fully loaded, tow pack, posi,296 gears, and now its my daily driver. I will post pics soon, very nice driftwood colored car .

OK, so heres my situation now .... I just found a very nice looking, Dark Cherry 95 RMS, with 132K miles on it for sale, and I am thinking about buying it. Car is mint in and out . Great paint, no scratches or dents, well kept throughout the years and it runs very good. At the price its a no brainer, but the car does not have posi, has 256 gears, and FE1 suspension. Should i just pass on it ?? Both my Caprice and my RMS have had better gears, posi, and better suspension options, and I would love some feed back as to what you all think.

I love the dark cherry paint, and the burgundy leather on this car, and its super clean, but it lacks some features. I can buy it for $2200, but im on the fence right now. I dont know if I will miss not having the better gears and all the other features i've been used to having, so let me know what you think .....

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I think it depends on how you want to drive the car. I have a 92 Roadmaster and really like it as a daily driver. When I found it, I was looking for a 94 to 96 with the LT1. I found this one with super low mileage in great condition, and I couldn't pass it up. I don't regret the purchase.

I'm not racing Camaros from stop lights. I don't push it hard into corners. Driving it brings out the old man in me. Haha!

It really will go if I step on it, but I don't thrash it. It's a really comfortable reliable car, and I drive it gently most of the time.

Take it for a good ride on some different types of roads, if the seller will let you. You'll know.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
If you are getting it at a good price, you can have some of the issues fixed. You could change the gear ratio, and at the same time install a posi. It would require a computer tune to get the correct response from the car for the new gears. You did not state what other features are not there, so you will have determine what you will accept.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i love my 96 rms, it's like the one you're lookin at exept posi rear. I,ve changed some things, like a rear sway bar,(helped a LOT), ss wheels with sticky tires, and i have a set of 2.93 and 3.42 gears (haven't decided wich one yet)to put in , ss coil springs and headers. those things make a huge difference on the car, so if the price is good, it's easy to change littles things. With th 2.56 last year i averaged 28 mpg goin tho Carlisle pa to the gm nationals and won 3rd place full size buick:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess what my major concern is the 256 gears. I can install springs and shocks and upgrade that fe1 suspension without much trouble. However, I don't know if its going to be too slow without better gearing.

How bad or how much differ cw does it make ?? Anyone know difference in quarter mile times on a car with 256 and one with 293 gears ???

·
Registered
45 Posts
2 years ago, i've swapped an entire 3.42 diff in the car. That was pretty impressive for a big car, a world of difference between the 2.56..ended blowing the diff, o i swapped back the 2.56. Good 70+mph gear, not much else

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the RMS with 2.56 is a lot slower than the ones with that came with 2.93 ??

Anyone know the difference in 0-60mph time, or 1/4 mile time difference ? Would love to know what those numbers are ...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks great noe, what size wheels are those?

Maybe find an online ET calculator and plug it in? I would also like to know the difference.

Can you go drive the red one?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great noe, what size wheels are those?

Maybe find an online ET calculator and plug it in? I would also like to know the difference.

Can you go drive the red one?
wheels are 18's ... 255 /55 toyo proxes tires.

i passed on the dcm rms, it was absolutely gorgeous, but had rust on it. i drove 700 miles roundtrip to see it, and the SOB who was selling it didnt have the decency to tell me it was effin rusty. so i passed on it.

i did however, 2 weeks later, get a 94 impala ss ! i came across a guy who needed to sell his car cus he needed the money and got such a great deal....

the super sport is sooooo nice !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts