Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of a new caprice have two I’m looking at can’t decide if I should get the 93 5.7 caprice ltz or a 96 lt1 caprice what would you do oh by the way the guy is claiming the ltz has a lt1 not sure about that what do you guys think I thought the weren’t offered until 94

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
i think a visual is enough to tell LT1 from the 5.7 in a '93.

depending on your goals with the car/motor we can only give suggestions.
I would take 96, it's a V8 and get 20mpg.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda what I was thinking also just curious about the ltz and the upgraded parts I would be putting a floor shifter in this car would be pretty much doin the whole car over

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well either the '93 is not really a '93, it doesn't have an Lt1 or it was transplanted later. LT1 ONLY came in 94-96 model years. Previously would have been a Throttle body equipped 350 but NOT an LT1.

Also be aware that other than the Impala VERY few cars actually came with the LT1 outside of the 9c1's and instead came with the 4.3L v-8 that looks just like an LT1.

Without checking the numbers off the engine it is hard to tell the difference between the two other than stock the 4.3 came with single exhaust and 5.7 comes with dual. But certainly not difficult to put dual exhaust on a 4.3

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Depending on your location's emission testing requirements might sway you to the easier cheaper 93. But if you're more tech savvy, the 96 can give a wealth of diagnostics.
For NY, the 93 would be just a safety check starting this year. And even cheaper inspection fee.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I was comparing the upgrades on the ltz was wondering if they were worth it over the 96 knowing what I plan to do with the car I want disk breaks on the rear end that would be getting rebuilt along with the front suspension also thinking about bagging it I would also be changing the motor to a lq4 motor trying to push 400 pony’s to the rear wheels z28 cluster she will be one sweet caprice when finished just want a solid car to start with don’t want to start the build and be like damn I should’ve got the other you know

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
If you'd provide Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) & pics (the more the better, ESPECIALLY of the RPO stickers on the underside of the trunklid!), we'd have even more and much better info to help you make your choice.

Based on the very little info above, I think I'd get the 93 if I was interested in changing the engine to any Gen 3 or 4 6.0L V8 OR 6.2L V8.
6.0L V8s: LQ4, LQ9, L76, L77, LS2
6.2L V8s: L92, L9H, L94, L99, LS3

Since I personally would not get into swapping upgraded engines & transmissions on a car old enough to rent another car, I'd get the 96 myself, though these days I'd probably prefer a Roadmaster or a Fleetwood over a Caprice.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If the Z28 cluster is a must-have, then you're stuck with a '94-96 car. The '91-93 dash has a completely different shape.

If they're in similar condition and you're going to be tossing the engine, pick whichever interior and quarter window style you like better. It doesn't really matter which you start with as far as the LSx swap goes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn I totally over looked that z28 cluster option I almost wanna say that’s a must option too that just about made me decision rite there good point sir

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
You can adapt a 91-93 Roadmaster or 91-92 OCC cluster into a 93 Caprice. They both have tachs. The OCC looks a little better in my opinion. Make sure the dash is not beaten up on the 96, they are really easy to break when removing them, and nearly impossible to get.

The value depends on the price as well. How much is the 93 vs. the 96. Since you are doing an engine swap that can make a difference as well. Do you want the door mounted RV mirrors or the triangle mounted ones? Once you have the car you will probably want the triangle mounted ones, because they look cleaner, and are a little bigger. Another visual is the rear quarter window. The 96 looks more modern in design, but there is nothing wrong with the 93 style.

Check thoroughly for rust! It is a big deal. We do not know where these cars are from, so be careful.

Put your location in your signature so we know where you are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts