Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost ready for the final step of my car, which is rockers/springs/cam. I want a cam that will rip the balls off from Lord Jesus himself in the top end. I am going with 1.6 RR (pro mags) and 918 beehive springs. My first thought is to go with the LT4 hotcam because I have the drivetrain to back it up (4.11s and Edge 300). I have heard that it screams up top and I have extensively studied the ET page. A few guys have hit high 12s on stock heads. And I don't want a custom grind either.

Anyone else who has suggestions as to the best cam for my needs, let me know. Or if you have a different valvetrain suggestion, feel free to throw it out there :)

Tom

· Premium Member
9,136 Posts

Crane 227 if you can find one.

· Premium Member
8,750 Posts
With your drivetrain, you can go with the HOT cam or the CC-503 if high RPM power and everyday drivability is your priority.

The Pro-mags and the 918 Beehives are 'most excellent' upgrades ;) .

KW

· Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Be aware that the 503 is very hard on the valve train but is a great cam.

I had it in my first 383. Great performance in the mid range however, I felt that it ran out of breath on the top end.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
On stock unported heads, you're going to start seeing diminishing returns after about 5500-6000 rpm, so find a cam that hits its peak about 5500 rpm. 227 as mentioned would be fantastic. HOT cam would work too, but it should probably be installed 2 degrees advanced for best results.

· Registered
4,090 Posts
Be aware that the 503 is very hard on the valve train but is a great cam.

I had it in my first 383. Great performance in the mid range however, I felt that it ran out of breath on the top end.
Well that sucks to hear I just put a CC503 in my car. I put on some Ported aluminum heads with some beefy springs and 1.6 RR.

· Registered
344 Posts
Call Ron at AI and I'm sure he'll give you the same cam I got. It's a similar grind to the LT4 hotcam but will make more power up top.
I've only got about 200 miles on my setup, don't ask, but it pulls nicely up to my 6200 shift point.

· Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Be aware that the 503 is very hard on the valve train but is a great cam........
Really, Lance :confused: ?

I have about 70K miles on my custom high-lift version of the CC-503 cam......just under .600" lift on the intake and exhaust with 1.5 rockers. Got the CC-918 beehive springs for the past 62K miles with no issues at all.

This is my 9C1 we're talking about.

KW

· Registered
560 Posts

I have about 70K miles on my custom high-lift version of the CC-503 cam......just under .600" lift on the intake and exhaust with 1.5 rockers. Got the CC-918 beehive springs for the past 62K miles with no issues at all.

KW
Whether a cam is hard on springs is not just about lift, compare duration at .200 and two cams with the same .050 duration and total lift and if one has just a few degrees more duration at .200 then it is a steeper lobe, harder on parts.

· Premium Member
9,136 Posts

KW
I had 1.6 rockers with the old CM 612(14?) springs. So, I should of said if you do not have the proper springs & rockers the 503 can be hard on your valve train.

It's a great cam but aggressive for an the average valve train.

My Ai cam (234/243 .575/.580) is actually very easy on the valve train.

· Premium Member
9,136 Posts

· Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Whether a cam is hard on springs is not just about lift, compare duration at .200 and two cams with the same .050 duration and total lift and if one has just a few degrees more duration at .200 then it is a steeper lobe, harder on parts.
I know that Dwayne.

But my high lift cam has the XE lobes just like the CC-503 cam.......but with 15% more lift. Again, that's same generation lobes + 15% more lift......

Like I said earlier; my cam IS a higher lift version of the CC-503.......and I would say my lobes are a bit steeper than the CC-503.

Is this the "ramps"?
Yes Lance......when he says "lobes", he is talking about ramps ;) .

KW

· Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I had 1.6 rockers with the old CM 612(14?) springs. So, I should of said if you do not have the proper springs & rockers the 503 can be hard on your valve train........
OK.....I get your point and absolutely agree with you there!

The single-coil CM-614's were supposed to be rated to .600"......but I broke two with my high lift '503' at .567"/.584" lift.

That's why I went with the Beehives.

KW

· Registered
2,684 Posts
847 w/ supporting mods

· Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I had AI custom grind me a cam. It pulls very hard up top IMO for a stock head car. Fastest I have trapped is 106, but feel the car would trap 109 in some good weather and a cool motor. Be aware though, I'm pushing the limits on the clearance of the valves...

It'll actually pull the wiper fluid out and up the windshield as it pulls. Pretty neat...

· Registered
2,505 Posts
CC 503 = SUCKS

-Sam Sneed

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Anyone have any hp numbers/ETs to back up which one will work best with stock unported heads? All I want is low 13s, maybe very high 12s on a chilly day. Of course the faster I go, the better ;)
I have a GM846 cam (Crane 109831) and went 12.49 @ 110 on a VERY good day. It usually ran 12.80's @ 106-108.

My motor is a basic/stock rebuild, stock unproted heads, 846 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, good springs, 52mm TB, F-MAF, 1-5/8 afterburners, pcm tune, etc...

Torque converter stalls at around 3200 rpm on motor, shift at 6200 rpm, 4.10's in the back with 28" Hoosier slicks, reverse/manual 700r4.

I love my 109831, nice idle, pulls strong, great on nitrous and with boost :)

· Registered
2,684 Posts
I have a GM846 cam (Crane 109831) and went 12.49 @ 110 on a VERY good day. It usually ran 12.80's @ 106-108.
Maybe I should go race where you race...cwm7cwm5:p

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Maybe I should go race where you race...cwm7cwm5:p
you should!! :D

the best is in october/november... a few degrees above freezing point, zero humidity and at sea level cwm4

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.