Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Looking for mid range/high end box body radio

911 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MWP 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the fourm, and recently picked up a 89 Caprice Wagon (I know this is really a 1991-1996 fourm, but I figured I'd start here).

I was wondering if anyone has a working mid range radio (one with tape deck) or high end (one with equalizer) radio for a box body Caprice. Looking for one with the wood grain (not burshed metal) face.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Before anyone jumps in with just go to the junk yard, the OP lives in a low population area of Canada that is coastal so picking may be slim.

If someone does not jump into this thread, do you know what type of electrical connectors are on the back? Your car may share connectors with the newer radios. If you have the dash apart a picture of the current radio front and back would help even just the front would help. If you have been shopping on the internet a rough year range would help.

If your radio is not smaller than the newer ones (I think it is smaller) and you do not mind electrical work, you would have a lot of choice.

#3 ·
I have:
  • 86-90 AM/FM only with woodgrain
  • 91-96 AM/FM cassette base
  • 91-93 Buick AM/FM cassette with EQ

I may have the correct woodgrain dash bezel so you could use the Buick radio in the Caprice dash. Somewhere. I had a single DIN in my old 88 Caprice (that the AM/FM is from). I'm sure they're still available, though. Like this:

#4 ·
Thanks jayoldschool, but I'd really prefer the mid or high range radio (high range is what I currently have).

I may get in touch with you in a bit if I can't find one with a tape player.

Attached is a picture of what I'm looking for. The midrange is basically the same thing without the equalizer.

Attachments

#6 ·
That parts search site is SWEET. I happened to find one through a semi local junkyard (3 hours away) for $40. $60 including shipping. Hopefully it works when it arrives :) Thanks for the tip

To answer your question, there are two things wrong with the current radio. The speakers only work on one side of the car, and a couple weeks ago I tried a tape. the take deck doesn't work (it doesn't play), and the electric eject function doesn't work, so the tape is stuck in it, makingthe radio inoperable.

Hopefully this junkyard one works. As the budget allows, I'll probably send the original away for a rebuild. There seems to be a lot of places that rebuild radios, however they do seem to mostly be the old 50s and 60s style.

#7 ·
Before sacrificing the replacement you want to be sure of two things: That if the speaker wiring does not involve chassis ground (negative) that no wire is frayed and/or broken and grounding out some where. Also make sure the speakers do work.

If you need help start a new thread with "speakers not working" and I will try to help. I have the FSMs I need so I usually google or use the library's account for Alldata for diagrams and pin outs for others. It might be harder to find right now.

Re carpart this is a starting point. If I need a part not listed I will search for other common parts on that car, and if they show at a close place I will contact them about the part I need. Some just list major parts but will sell anything that is on the car.

#9 ·
That's great news. Be sure to check the resistance value stamped on any speakers you want to replace. If your fronts are 4 ohms like mine, easy aftermarket. A common GM problem is the rears, which often need 8 to 10 ohm speakers, which are unavailable. Low-resistance ones can fry the radio's amp at high settings. If interested, here's a thread which talked more about the problem:
Fleetwood rear speaker new details + question

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.