Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maaaaaaaaaaan, this problem just started. My steering is way too loose. Like, I have alot of "play" or "slack" in the steering wheel. On top of that, somewhere in my suspension on the front passenger side something has developed an annoying squeek to it, when going over bumps, or even when someone gets out of the passenger side of the car. OR when I turn my loose a** steering wheel to the right... Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Maaaaaaaaaaan, this problem just started. My steering is way too loose. Like, I have alot of "play" or "slack" in the steering wheel. On top of that, somewhere in my suspension on the front passenger side something has developed an annoying squeek to it, when going over bumps, or even when someone gets out of the passenger side of the car. OR when I turn my loose a** steering wheel to the left... Any ideas?

I had the same problems on my 95 SS. I change the inner and outer tire rods on both sides and changed the center link and alder arm. Then I add some new swaybars endlinks with poly bushing. Tighten it right up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problems on my 95 SS. I change the inner and outer tire rods on both sides and changed the center link and alder arm. Then I add some new swaybars endlinks with poly bushing. Tighten it right up.
How much did all that run you?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will this "tighten" my suspension and steering back up? I bought the car used so I'm not sure what it's suppose to feel like...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Basically your entire steering resides from your steering box, through the inner/outer tie rod ends and idler arm. Your best bet is to put the front end on jack stands and move the 9 and 3:00 positions on the tire back and forth and feel for play, also grab the tie rod end itself and push it up and down. If it moves or you can feel it click then it is loose. If you replaced these parts and had it properly aligned, you would definately feel a difference.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically your entire steering resides from your steering box, through the inner/outer tie rod ends and idler arm. Your best bet is to put the front end on jack stands and move the 9 and 3:00 positions on the tire back and forth and feel for play, also grab the tie rod end itself and push it up and down. If it moves or you can feel it click then it is loose. If you replaced these parts and had it properly aligned, you would definately feel a difference.
Where's a good place to get all the parts? Gm parts direct?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Where's a good place to get all the parts? Gm parts direct?
Almost any where Advance autozone or olreillys. but I would go to NAPA if you have close to you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's whats up. I just like to buy quality parts...I don't wanna buy crap and have to change it all again soon...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I recommend sticking with Power Performance parts or Moog, I have had nothing but good luck with them. I get all of my parts from Advance Autoparts (buddies a manager)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moog? Good parts? 10-4

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Check your control arm bushings too. The squeek when a passenger gets in or out sounds more like suspension than steering, and a worn out bushing can cause the loose steering as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Power Performance stuff is great, thats what I ran on my last Blazer. When Im done cutting up my Caprice I will be replacing all front suspension components with PP

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
300 Posts
Man my ss it has al loose loose steering, i mean it is soo loose when i turn my steering it takes it time to turn, would this whole kit should fix it ??

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Rock Auto has Moog parts and they are very reasonably priced even with shipping. There is usually a 5% discount code on the forum as well.

http://www.rockauto.com/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts