Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 94 Roadmaster I only got one ignition key, previous owner couldn't find the door keys.

I've had it a few months and have been really careful but now I locked myself out. At least it's parked in my driveway and not somewhere strange. cwm1

Can I take my VIN (title) down to the local dealership and will they be able to make door keys to a '94 Roadmaster? Or is a locksmith my only hope?

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Lost keys. Can Dealership replace?

Copy of the title,or insurance policy cover sheet (where vehicle/owner info is) should suffice. I've done this a couple times,and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
title and insurance

I have the title in my name and a copy of my insurance card. Yeah, the registration is in the glove box. But sounds like I should still be OK. I'll report back. :) Thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
I work in a GM parts dept and deal with this 3-5 times a day. You MUST have either title or registration in your name and a photo ID. The manager is the only one that can request it. The only problem is, it's too old. You have a 10% chance that GM still has it on file. If they do, they will probably only have the ignition on file, not the door key. You're better off either having a locksmith get in the car or do it yourself. I have an old antenna with the tip bent over just for this. use small, rubber door stops (50 cents at dollar store or lowes). You need about 3 of them. Pull top of door out enough to get antenna in without ripping weatherstripping. pop up on lock.

·
Registered
531 Posts
BTW, here's life in the Parts dept and dealing with customers that lost their keys.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha OK

Thanks for the tip, Streetcar, I tried again with a wooden dowel with a coathanger piece duct-taped to the end of it. Took a couple minutes but I got it! I think I'll buy some keyless entry fobs.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
I have seen a few RMs in the yards with keys. If you want me to get a set, I can look around. They do show up occasionally. the entire lock set should be about $60 plus shipping. I would get both doors, trunk and glovebox locks. The 94-96 cars have different glove box locks than the 91-93s.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
One more note...some locksmiths have a tool to open locks that will give them the key shape as a result. If you can not get the keys from GM, it may be another option.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Also, if you take out one of the cylinders, either door or trunk, a locksmith can take it apart and get the code from it, then cut you a key to that code. That way you dont have to have all cylinders rekeyed or buy all new cylinders. Still gonna run you about $50 with a couple of keys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unless I read it wrong, OP got in the car. I have an extra door key slipped in my wallet, a spare set of keys in the house. Keys are cheap (even the ignition keys with the chip,) locksmiths are not. When I bought my car the seller didn't have a door key, said the key fob was enough. Car batteries die, key fob batteries die, remotes can even lose programming. Luckily for me, the original spare key credit card thing was in the car and I got keys made of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts