Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How extensively can you mod the engine in an OBDII car and still pass emissions? Is passing emissions only a matter of things working properly or not (meaning if I have lots of mods and everything works, then I pass emissions)?

I want to make my car an "In-the-12's" daily driver but I'm not sure if I can do this with OBDII. Anyone have any advice on what mods would help me achieve my goals or what PCM option I should go with?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a OBD 1 conversion from Bryan Herter, and keep your stock OBD 2 for smog. This way you have two computers for your car. A daily driver computer and a stocker OBD2 for smog. BUT be careful of what mods your doing,, even WITH programming some mods will cause you to fail the emmisions test,, or possibly even the visual.
Examples: a big cam, or long tube headers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Nine-C-One:
I want to make my car an "In-the-12's" daily driver
Nitrous would help a little

alot of non-engine mods will make your car faster without any problems with emission testing.

Get a good suspention setup, a good trans/TC, 3.73 gears with eaton posi, etc...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys

Originally posted by blingin96:
BUT be careful of what mods your doing,, even WITH programming some mods will cause you to fail the emmisions test,, or possibly even the visual.
Examples: a big cam, or long tube headers
So what type of mods should I stay away from? I don't think they do visual here in MD but I'm not sure at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the best thing to do is email Brian at PSMforless and tell him what mods you have and what you want next. He is very good at modifying ODB II to pass smog.

Shawn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I know that's the best way and I was gonna do that anyway, I just figured I should ask other individuals who have had experience with this sort of thing first. Thanks though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.