Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, currently im running straight pipes with a x-pipe, on stock headers, i still want a more of muscle sound, any suggestions, a looopy cam , headers, a ls7, what can i do to get a more bad as idle and sound all around

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can tell you with mine even straight stock headers and cats with NO exhaust whatsoever didnt seem very loud or mean to me...however I can tell you that if you do headers&high flow cats its MUCH nicer and how a car with SS in its name should be! My dad even commented once we had test drove it around that it reminded him of the exhaust sound of an old muscle car he used to have in the 70s!
...Also Clear Image Auto Gen II Tri-Y headers and cats FTW!!! Pricey but best out there IMHO

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I can tell you with mine even straight stock headers and cats with NO exhaust whatsoever didnt seem very loud or mean to me...however I can tell you that if you do headers&high flow cats its MUCH nicer and how a car with SS in its name should be! My dad even commented once we had test drove it around that it reminded him of the exhaust sound of an old muscle car he used to have in the 70s!
...Also Clear Image Auto Gen II Tri-Y headers and cats FTW!!! Pricey but best out there IMHO
I agree! I also have no muffs and an X pipe on both my rides. One has Tri-y with high flow cats. The other with stock manifolds and stock cats. Tri-y and cats made things MUCH louder. I have gotten many complements on how good my loud and raspy car sounds.

One other option would (at the cost of power) delete the X pipe and run straight pipes down both sides with no crossover what so ever. The X (as well as an H) knocks down some of the sound.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
If you want the car to be louder, eliminate the x-pipe and go to regular straight pipe.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Change the cam to a grind with more overlap. A good candidate for this is the LT4 HOT cam, installed two degrees advanced (for better low end). Set the idle at about 750 rpm, and the car will sound just like this:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts