Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Low Beams do not work

26K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Whats going on people haven't a headlight problem my low beams will not come on. every thing else works except the low beam headlights. Parklights are on high beams work but no low beam. i was tryin to find the headlight relay but I can't seem to locate it does any one know where this relay is. If not i'll probably just replace the dimmer switch and see if that works.

#3 ·
it's the dimmer switch, auto zone has it for about $20,

#4 ·
Before you change anything make sure your bulbs are good. As a parts guy, I've had a number of people want to buy relays, switches etc when in reality they just needed to new bulbs. Check the easy stuff first.

#6 ·
yeah i just check out the wireing diagram and noticed the relays are before the dimmer switch which means the dimmer has a heavy current load going throu it. I"m going to add 2 new relays after the dimmer switch this weekend, which will make the dimmer just a switch to run on the relays instead of the headlights. Is any one with me on that, that might be confusing to sum but i do this to all my project old school cars, to keep from buring out headlight switches and dimmer switches.

#7 ·
Sounds like a great plan......... We definitely have a weak wiring system for the lighting on our cars.

You should ACTUALLY think about upgrading the entire harness. DO a <search> for Whisperjet... quite a few threads about it.

#8 ·
josephchevy5596
you fix the problem, change the dimmer switch or haven;t got to it yet? just wondering what was the out come

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.