Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What' sup guys so i just got my 95 impala ss back from the shop and had it rebuilt, car drives and runs great so far but for some reason over the last couple of days it has started to have a really low, idle like i would crank it up then pull out of the drive way and get to a stop sign and it seems to want to cut off, and it actually did one time. the tune is the same on the car, i had it dyno tuned just the bottom end rebuilt. I went over the car a noticed a sparkplug was loose on the number 1 cylinder i could turn it with my hand, so i adjusted it and told my builder and he said to adjust the throttle body blades. I did a couple of half turns and it seems to be fine, but it idles too high not like it was before the rebuild . I'm just wondering that if it ran fine at ilde before the rebuld how could it seem to want to idle soo low afterward. The throttle body wasen't touched, so i'm not sure any ideas thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Scan the PCM for any codes. You probably won't find any, but it's a good first check. Then, set the throttle blades back down, and try the IAC reset. If not, pull the IAC and make sure it is clean, and the ports in the TB are open. If everything checks out, you may need an IAC.

I'm having similar problems, but it's on a 160+K engine.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
2,800 hits googling "how to reset iac lt1"

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
hahaha Sleep and coffee makes my reply look a little snottier than intended. I just google everything nowadays - spelling, goofy acronyms, searches.....

Here's the best thing I found on the topic:

Put key in and put to start, do not run engine, floor gas pedal a couple times to WOT. You will here(sp) the IAC cycle.

Or, you can do this:
Turn on ignition
Wait 10 seconds and disconnect IAC connector
Start engine
Adjust Idle screw to minimum idle speed (550rpm)
Turn off engine
Reconnect IAC
Start engine

Or finally the IAC reset procedure:
Reset IAC valve pintle position:
a) Depress accelerator pedal slightly
b) Start end run engine for five seconds
c) Turn ignition "OFF" for ten seconds
d) Restart engine and check for proper idle operation

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK guys this past weekend i took the throttle body off, completely cleaned it with gum cleaner, and replaced the TPS, and the IAC sensor, car seemed to run fine for a little while then when i parked it, it and tried to start it and run to the store it would start fine and when i get to a stop sign it would get really low at idle and cut off just like before. I noticed that my sparkplug on cylinder Number 1 was loose so i tried to tighten it. So i took it all the way out and tried to put it back it just to make sure it was tight and can't get the spark plug in, i just wont thread up to the cylinder head i backed the sparkplug out with my hand just fine but i can't get it to go back in for what ever reason. I swear it's always something. I can't get this car to run right to save my life and be reliable. Any other ideas guys. Just like i said it idled fine with my dyno tune prior to the rebuild. What could it be guys help thanks.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
You're not including the MAF in any of your discussion. That thing is important too - worth combing all the stickies and searches you can. Word.

On the plug thing you're just tired. Check it out with a mirror and clean it well - swap in a known good plug.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya i havent' cleaned the MAF at all, i'll try that, and as far as the plug goes ya the plugs are brand new, maybe i'll try another one if the MAF dosen't work, and ya i am tired LOL

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
is your cam stock on your "rebuilt" engine?
No his cam is a custom cam from LE. The thing is he didn't have a problem prior to the rebuild with this exact cam. Sorry for jacking...he's been calling me about this too.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
had same issue, check all vacuum lines, "ALL"!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts