Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. You may have seen several posts from people talking about getting a "Low Oil Level" warning, car stumbles, shuts down the AC, then resumes. Well, I am happy to report I was able to fix mine with a rebuilt AC Delco Opti from Rock Auto. Car is running like a beast once again.

Opti went out on me a few months ago, replaced it with a Duralast from Auto Zone.

Started getting the "Low Oil Level" warning at 2500 RPM, car stumbles, AC dies, then car resumes driving normal (but no AC)

Replaced that Opt with a Spectra from Oreileys, same thing but the stumble happened at 3000 RPM.

Ordered the rebuilt AC Delco Opti from Rock Auto and all is great. I am able to hit 5500 RPM when getting on it (I have aT56).

I hope this helps someone that is having this problem. Just suck it up and buy the AC Delco Opti.

Oh, FYI......the AC Delco Opti from Rock Auto comes with the wrong connector, save your old connector! The plastic tabs inside do not line up correctly.

Hope this helps,
Matt

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
IIRC you can cut/grind the offending tab off the connector on these new Optis so they plug in the stock harness

Good you got the problems sorted with a working Opti

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at that, it was guides inside the clip that was stopping it, would have been VERY difficult to make that happen.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
[CUT]

Opti went out on me a few months ago, replaced it with a Duralast from Auto Zone.
Thanks for update to the forum. I don't recall reading this on your previous posts for diagnostic help. And now having this knowledge would have back-upped the armchair diagnostics of a distributor.

Glad you got her fixed and rolling again!

Did you happen to test for vacuum on the line to the distributor for venting while you were at it?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for update to the forum. I don't recall reading this on your previous posts for diagnostic help. And now having this knowledge would have back-upped the armchair diagnostics of a distributor.

Glad you got her fixed and rolling again!

Did you happen to test for vacuum on the line to the distributor for venting while you were at it?
No, i did not.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I looked at that, it was guides inside the clip that was stopping it, would have been VERY difficult to make that happen.
From what I have read people do Matt is use a dermal with a drill bit and just "shave" off the offending plastic guide.

Certainly popping the pins out and using the original connector body would work as you did

WTF the new plugs have this IDK

EFI Connection would likely have the correct plug body also if anyone needed one

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the update Matt. I haven't done mine yet, no time and no money. When I replace it I will post the results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the update. I pasted a link to this thread in the other similar post regarding the Low Oil Level light issue. These are good data points that may benefit someone scratching their head over this issue in the future.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I finally replaced mine. No more problem. I got the new Cardone unit based on a recommendation. This really should be a sticky with all we have learned, like:

"Low oil" level is a yellow indicator. It only means your oil level is low. This will not stop the engine from running, or throw a code.

Low oil pressure is a red indicator, usually the universal "tea pot" symbol. If the oil pressure drops below 4 psi, it will cut power to the fuel pump. It will not throw a code. The 4 psi stat came from the manual.

Now here's the tricky one which I confirmed with a friend who does diagnostics for a living. There is a glitch in the OBD1 software. If the OPTI loses the high res signal, the engine will stumble and the low oil light will come on. The ECM should start running the engine on the low res signal. The low oil light goes out, and the check engine light comes on. Find out what the code is! If it's hi res failure, replace the opti! Don't go chasing the low oil thing. It will drive you crazy.

You should still check your oil though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts