Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me for starting a new thread about this. I've done a couple searches, but the more I read, the more confused I get.

I have a 95 Caprice wagon. I have a Z-28 cluster installed. Lately I have the issue where the low oil light comes on, and the car cuts off. What's driving me crazy is the OP gauge shows a steady 60 PSI. So I'm not sure why the low oil light is coming on. Oil level is good.

I found what the manual calls a fuel pump switch and oil pressure sender. I think this is the sender on the back of the block. Is this the sender that drives the gauge, or is there another sender?

When I got the Z-28 cluster the seller (I don't remember his name, but I did get it from here) also had a new sender option, that would give a more accurate reading, but I never installed it. Would changing the sender help?

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
my 96 uses the PCM to control the fuel pump IF the engine does not run PCM using the OPTI signals so the PCM knows the engine is running so the fuel pump keeps getting power ..

on the 95 OBDI the fuel pump is controlled by the oil pressure switch . on back of engine . so when the light comes on and low pressure the fuel pump will shut off switch will open no power to the fuel pump..

if you do read more than 5 psi oil pressure then change out that oil pressure switch contacts worn also will do it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
These great cars are so rare, that I ask that you have your oil pressure readings verified by a mechanic.

It's very possible that the problem is just the sender, in which case, of course go for the more accurate one.
(We don't need an 80psi gauge, a 60psi gauge provides more useful resolution.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts