Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to get some information from someone If they know of any reasons why the L T1 motors are losing oil pressure really low of right around 100,000 miles. I have 2 Impallas in one Corvette that both are losing oil pressure really bad At low rpms. I would really appreciate any help somebody could give me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is that verified with an oil pressure gauge screwed in? Then you have engine problems.
But, if you're basing this on the oil pressure light or "gauge" maybe the oil pressure sensors are bad, especially if they are original. Try a new one on one of the engines and see what happens.
Also, if you're judging this problem based on the dashboard, is it low oil pressure or low oil level? Both have sensors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All 3 cars had been verified of a mechanical gauge Screwed into the engine block. And they all it had mobile one oil in them since they've been new. And at idle sometimes we dropped down to 2-3 pounds oil pressure. And some tims after you run it hard and come to a stop light the car will die and start backup Until it cools down and oil thickens up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm new to the Lt1 game but maybe try thicker oil ? I know they call for thinner oil than most older Chevy's due to tighter bearing tolerances.

·
Super Moderator
8,392 Posts
What RPMs are these motors running at when you measure oil pressure? What oil are you running in them? What's the history on them? All stock, or modified? Maintained or no?

One thing to keep in mind - oil pressure represents the difference between supply and leakage, so even with 3psi you're still getting oil into the bearings. If there's very little load on the motor during this time, I'm not sure it's lethal. Are the motors getting noisy when this condition occurs?

Are you sure the gauge is right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am needing to get some information from someone If they know of any reasons why the L T1 motors are losing oil pressure really low of right around 100,000 miles. I have 2 Impallas in one Corvette that both are losing oil pressure really bad At low rpms. I would really appreciate any help somebody could give me.
Service duty vehicles (9C1 especially) used a "real" oil sender & gauge, while the pedestrian (SS, Corvette, Camaro) used an electrical signal style oil pressure switch. In other words, the pedestrian models have gauges that are the equivalent of having an idiot light. After all, wouldn't you prefer seeing a "real" gauge in your sports car? There is an inline diode in the engine harness that the actual wire from the switch to the gauge contains, I believe it's routed above the glove box, which if removed and you change out the engine pressure switch, will allow your gauge to actually read "real" oil pressure. This "new" oil pressure reading will be much lower than the fake one that was previously displayed, but it's still within the norm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts