Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple and probably dumb question: Do the lower control arm bushings need to be pressed out or can I replace them without removing the whole thing from the car? In other words could I do it on my lunch hour on the shop floor? Blew one out yesterday after work (heard a clunking) and I have an 8 hour trip planned to tennessee tommorow after work.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not that easy.
Yes they are a press fit and it can take a little time... especailly if you're working on a garage floor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you may have already have gotten this solved, but from my experience, I can't see any way this could be done with the LCA on the vehicle.

If working without a hydraulic press, the bushings can be removed by drilling out the rubber all around the bushing and the deforming the metal sleeve and walking it out with a chisel (the LCA pretty much has to be in a vise for this).

Installation can be achieved with a bearing installer or pipe fitting of appropriate size, a block, and a big hammer. Again, a vise or suitable work surface is necessary.

Maybe there's a way to do it on the vehicle with an appropriate screw press / installer, but I think even with that tool it would be a b*tch.

-- Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...made the trip anyway. Ive got a hydraulic press at home. Im gonna go ahead and rebuild the whole front end, or at least the rubber, instead of just fixing the one....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.