Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just proved to myself how important an alingment is after lowering your car. I lowered my car 1" and I did not get it alinged because it still tracked correctly and did not look like (that is scientific) it gained any camber. Well I'm sure you know where this is going. I got a flat this morning, both front tires are completly destroyed and I will no be getting an alingment and putting on 2 more Pirrelli's (not to mention towed home).
Expensive lesson, maybe I will save one of you from learning it the same way.

Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After changing springs an alignment is a MUST. Drive it for a week after the spring swap to let them settle, then take it in. Even though it doesn't look like the camber changed, it did and will cause excessive and uneven tire wear despite how little of a change it may have been.

Also, I'm moving this thread to the Suspension section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: After getting the car towed home last night I took the front tires off to look at things a little further. This may not me a camber issue.
The first 1" on the inside of the tire is completely destroyed but I measured tread depth at the first point that was ok on the inside and at the same spot on the outter part of the tread. Inside depth .110" outside depth .130" That is pretty even tread wear.
It was pretty late by the time I got to looking at this and I have other cars to drive so I figured I would wait untill the weekend to keep working on it. What are commom areas for tire rubbing at full lock on these cars.
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because of your wheel tire combo it is anyones guess what might be hitting , but I am betting you are going to find the car has a bunch of toe out when you check the alignment. A toed out front end will smoke the first 1 - 1 1/2 inch on the insides.
Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to put two more tires on it this weekend and then use the caster camber gage from the race car to check it. I will also check the toe and see what it looks like. Thanks.
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So took the car into a reputable place yesterday to have the alingment done. I go to pick it up and everything is ok.
Left side.........Right side
Camber -.3 deg -.7 deg
Caster 3.9 deg 4.2 deg
Toe .02" .02"

I had them put it back on the rack to see if I could find any rubbing and there is none that I could see. Something has to be wrong with this thing to destroy both fronts in 5k miles like this. Does any body have any suggestions of what to check next? I was thinking about just driving it and taking off the tires off every weekend and looking for problems. If they are ok then maybe go to once a month.

Thanks
Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.