Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but... I'm starting on a build. Purchased a nice 96 Caprice with the LT1 and tow package suspension. I purchased a set of springs from ST Suspension that was supposed to be a 2x2 drop. I could be wrong, but it looks to be like it dropped it more than 2". Anyway, I was going to replace the shocks as well but had issues ordering because they were out of stock due to the whole Covid mess. Well, the issue I'm having is absolutely horrible ride. If I bounce the car on any of the corners it feels like I have suspension travel. On the other hand, when I drive, it feels like the car literally bottoms out on every little bump.
I'm willing to spend the money to do it right. I've considered throwing away what I've already done and going with a full lowering kit but before I do, can someone shed light on this that has had experience? Is it necessary to replace control arms and sway bars for a 2" drop? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
6,172 Posts
IIRC the STs are among the lowest of the low for springs. Also, I'll bet they are 2" for SS, that means much more on Caprice.

My advice: SS (equivalent) springs (slight drop over Caprice height) paired with Bilstein shocks. Either the heavy duty or the sport (lots of threads on here about the difference).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply @jayoldschool. I'm guessing you're correct. They were sold as a 2" drop on Caprice Classic but there is no way. It's slammed. I'll probably take your advice and go with stock SS springs. I wouldn't mind just slightly lower like maybe 1/2" but this is way to low. I've attached a couple of pictures.
Side Note!
The car has 60k original miles. It goes into the paint shop next month and a 6.2L L92 LS is under way.. I'm sure I'll spend more time on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
First we do not know you so some information/suggestions are based on the idea you may not know things.

First have you been back under the car. Some people who have lowered too much have the axle or drive shaft hit the body?

Second do you have adjustable upper arms? Your pinion angle may be off by a significant amount.
Tell us what tires you are running or go to a tire calculator and tell use the difference. Measure your car and report the numbers.

It sounds like you might need special shocks but I do not know. What is on the car now?

There is a full chart in the FSM if you have it supply the J and K measurements as per the FSM.

The pictures are from a set of Hochkis lowering springs. 1.25" front and 1" rear
Tape measure Yellow Ruler Finger Hand

Tire Automotive tire Tape measure Measuring instrument Ruler

Ruler Tape measure Measuring instrument Wood Number

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Do some searching and define your goals. My setup is near Impala height but has nearly twice the spring rate.

I have not driven a car with less than 4" clearance in years. It is just to easy to hit things.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I removed the Hochkis lowering springs. The pictures are old.

I went with these as I was tired of the hitch receiver hitting the pavement on ramps.

Moog 7268 Front Ford 150 97-03 Dodge Van 79-80 750Lbs
Moog 5419 Rear Caprice 79-96 173Lbs

Close to normal height, Handles well, and not as stiff as you might think.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Thanks. More data points. I ran the moog 199lbs rears for a few years. Just swapped the rear SS springs back to compare again. And still sitting in the box, i have the 710lbs crown vic fronts. They'll sit a little higher than the 7268s. Looking like they'll go into the 95 now instead of the 91.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the reply @jayoldschool. I'm guessing you're correct. They were sold as a 2" drop on Caprice Classic but there is no way. It's slammed. I'll probably take your advice and go with stock SS springs. I wouldn't mind just slightly lower like maybe 1/2" but this is way to low. I've attached a couple of pictures.
Side Note!
The car has 60k original miles. It goes into the paint shop next month and a 6.2L L92 LS is under way.. I'm sure I'll spend more time on here.
Go with all the Impala SS components and you will be happy with the ride and height. Get the extended upper and lower axle control arms and center the wheels in the wheel well opening. Also, will need a longer driveshaft too, but looks so much better.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Go with all the Impala SS components
There are a lot of companies re branding or making generic Caprice springs and selling them as Impala SS. Few will disclose spring information and some do not match factory specifications. The easy tip off is you will find the same spring listed for other years and models. The factory springs for Impala, base, sport Caprice, and 9C1are all different.

The last time I looked for real specification Impala springs I did not find any.

·
Registered
611 Posts
An all aluminum L92 engine in a B body with Eibach Pro Kit springs and Caprice wheels/tires will sit at about 26.5 - 27.5" in the front and you can level the rear with Airlifts in the springs for ~100 USD. Whatever diameter wheel/tire F+R will change that, 275/40-17's will lower the car a bunch compared with 235/70-15's

·
Registered
1 Posts
Side Note!
45Midlife, I’m absolutely in love with your car. I have a low mileage 94 in the same color myself. I’m currently looking to lower mine 2” all the way around and get some torq thrusts on. Are yours 17”? I’m having trouble finding what rims fit these cars just right. I think 17x9.5 will look great, I’m still trying to figure out the backspacing though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts