Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 9c1 and I will be getting some stock ss wheels soon. I want to drop my car like the ss so what size springs would I need to have it sitting right with the stocks?

·
Registered
428 Posts
ss springs , and whats a good shock to get...? not trying to jack this but im in the same boat

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
bilsteins r worth it, I have monroe ss and already replaced the frts once with in 12k, I also had hotchkis too, so who knows. I also concur on ss springs for a daily driver.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
yes stock SS springs, you can check the for sale section to see if there are any used set for sale, or you can check with your autoparts store see what they got

·
Registered
21 Posts
just chop a coil and a half out of the stock fronts, and heat up the rears til theyre even
thats what i did, its an old hot rod thing to do, but my car isnt spectacular and i wasnt gonna pay a ridiculous amount for new springs

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for the help fellas. My boy also mentioned something about the suspension on the imp was longer/extended in the back where the tire is. Is this true, because if you notice on the caprice the tire is kind of tucked and also is not center with the wheel wale leaving the tire more closer to the front.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ss springs , and whats a good shock to get...? not trying to jack this but im in the same boat
Nah u got it homii. I like good ?s that stay on topic. This is a good 1 to ask. So if I change my springs I should change my shocks to then huh? And wut about the struts?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Our cars do not have struts.

If you replace the springs you do not NEED shocks, but it's a good idea. You will notice a much bigger handling difference.

Get the Bilsteins, you won't regret it.

Impala suspension is not longer. They are physically identical other than the spring height. The Impala axle is wider but that's it.

SS springs are a great way to lower the car on a budget. Hotchkis/Vogtland are an even better way if you want a more aggressive stance and improved handling.

and heat up the rears til theyre even
Whatever you do, do not take this advice.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
L
Our cars do not have struts.

If you replace the springs you do not NEED shocks, but it's a good idea. You will notice a much bigger handling difference.

Get the Bilsteins, you won't regret it.

Impala suspension is not longer. They are physically identical other than the spring height. The Impala axle is wider but that's it.

SS springs are a great way to lower the car on a budget. Hotchkis/Vogtland are an even better way if you want a more aggressive stance and improved handling.

Whatever you do, do not take this advice.
Thanx for the advice this is what I needed. Sorry about the question on struts! Lol. As you can see I'm no mechanic and don't know too much on suspension but this right here was very helpful. Thanx again. Oh and lmao on the heatin the spring qoute!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Like Fishah said, the control arms are the same length but the axle is narrower. So get some Hotchkis extended control arms and some 1" wheel adapters and post some pix!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like Fishah said, the control arms are the same length but the axle is narrower. So get some Hotchkis extended control arms and some 1" wheel adapters and post some pix!
Ok that sounds like a plan. Where are some spots to buy that? And you mean for the rear end right? And as far as the control arms lower or upper?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Ok that sounds like a plan. Where are some spots to buy that? And you mean for the rear end right? And as far as the control arms lower or upper?
Here are the places that I have found with the most inexpensive prices, if anyone has some better recommendations, please advise. These are just the opinions from someone who is relatively new to B-Bodies.

For the extended control arms, look here for details and part numbers (the BMRs are also a good choice):
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/ImpalaSS.htm

Some will say that you need to extend your drive shaft but I have been told by various shops and BMR techs that you do not have to (provided that you don't do a lot of racing).

While you can order them from that site, I believe summit is cheaper on shipping, just make sure you get the right part number:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1995/Make/CHEVROLET/Model/IMPALA-SS/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Part-Type/Control-Arms/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Go here for the shocks:
https://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make='CHEVROLET'&model='Impala%20SS'&year='1995'

HDs for the SS stock height and Sports for Eibachs, Hotchkis, Sprints, etc lowering springs.

I have yet to find a place that sells the wheel adapters for cheap, so if anyone knows a place, please let me know.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are the places that I have found with the most inexpensive prices, if anyone has some better recommendations, please advise. These are just the opinions from someone who is relatively new to B-Bodies.

For the extended control arms, look here for details and part numbers (the BMRs are also a good choice):
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/ImpalaSS.htm

Some will say that you need to extend your drive shaft but I have been told by various shops and BMR techs that you do not have to (provided that you don't do a lot of racing).

While you can order them from that site, I believe summit is cheaper on shipping, just make sure you get the right part number:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1995/Make/CHEVROLET/Model/IMPALA-SS/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Part-Type/Control-Arms/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Go here for the shocks:
https://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make='CHEVROLET'&model='Impala%20SS'&year='1995'

HDs for the SS stock height and Sports for Eibachs, Hotchkis, Sprints, etc lowering springs.

I have yet to find a place that sells the wheel adapters for cheap, so if anyone knows a place, please let me know.
Thanks again man this is some very helpful info. One more ?... lol. Don't be mad I just like to get all the great info provided here. The wheel adapters. Are they to make the rim and tire stick out more or what exactly is it for? I'm assuming the suggestion you gave me is what you have done to your car and if so post some pics so I can get an idea of what it looks like;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Vogtland Springs/Bilstein Shocks for the Win.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Peoples please post a pic of this if you have it so I can get an idea. I would like to see pics of the ss rims with the stock ss springs and some lowered.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts