Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added a pair of SS Springs to the SSuperwagon and are surprisingly a little high.
Need to lower about and inch maybe inch and half.

Can you cut the Spring a Coil to Lower it or use another set of springs?
Where can i got to search for a good selection.
Want firm not stiff as the wagon is for towing.

Dan

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The Impala springs probably resulted in about 1 inch of drop. Most of the aftermarket lowering springs are about the same rate. The stiffness will be determined more by your shocks than the springs. Stiffer springs will keep the car from bottoming out the suspension. You should also use softer, or shorter bump stops to allow for more suspension travel. A 2 inch drop is a lot, and there is not much suspension travel left. Don't forget to remove .030 shims from all stacks for each 1/2 inch of drop measured from the top of the rim to the high spot on the wheel opening. Measure and record before and after installing the springs. If you forget, I guess you will be going to an alignment shop.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Added a pair of SS Springs to the SSuperwagon and are surprisingly a little high.
Need to lower about and inch maybe inch and half.

Can you cut the Spring a Coil to Lower it or use another set of springs?
Where can i got to search for a good selection.
Want firm not stiff as the wagon is for towing.

Dan
Guessing you're talking about the fronts. Yeah the front weight because of the wagon's weight bias is lighter. There was a thread a few months ago where someone posted measured wagon front weight. I'd guess 1/2 coil. Better yet, shorten the free length of the spring by half the amount of drop you want. eg. 1/2" for 1" drop. Since the spring gets a little stiffer when cut, it will actually be a tad less than 1" So if you go 3/4", you'll be somewhere in between. Then adjust shims like Fred said for quick adjustment.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Guessing you're talking about the fronts. Yeah the front weight because of the wagon's weight bias is lighter. There was a thread a few months ago where someone posted measured wagon front weight. I'd guess 1/2 coil. Better yet, shorten the free length of the spring by half the amount of drop you want. eg. 1/2" for 1" drop. Since the spring gets a little stiffer when cut, it will actually be a tad less than 1" So if you go 3/4", you'll be somewhere in between. Then adjust shims like Fred said for quick adjustment.
I wrote that, and it may be more like 1/3 than 1/2 coil. The aftermarket springs will be close to the 2 inch drop they advertise. The small amount of bias is not enough to make a noticeable difference in how the aftermarket springs affect the stance.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Its a tow vehicle, Dan. Don't lower it anymore.
I bet it will settle on its own another 1/2" since the
springs were just installed.

Nab

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its a tow vehicle, Dan. Don't lower it anymore.
I bet it will settle on its own another 1/2" since the
springs were just installed.

Nab
Not going to settle an inch. They were out of an SS.
Replaced the Eibach's because a half coil snapped off the bottom.
The SS Springs were thinner diameter thinking they would lower the front a touch.
For normal driving the height though higher looks ok.
Put the Trailer on it the Front end rises another inch.

Options:
Cut a Coil from the SS springs and reinstall - not optimal because the end sticks out.
Cut a coil from the Eibach's balancing the two and reinstall. Same issue.
What is an optimal replacement front spring?

D

D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
First step would be to ensure you've got the upper and lower ends seated correctly in the spring pockets. If the upper end is hung up on the "tangs" that hang down from the frame it'll definitely cause the car to ride high.

If you do decide to cut the SS springs, do not cut a full coil. It will be very low if you do that. I'd go with the 1/3 of a coil recommendation to start.

Since one of the Eibach springs snapped a coil, I'd toss them in the scrap bin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts