Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some comparative comments between these (2) cams, as the LPE 211 is written about much. I was pretty settled on the 227, but found a decent deal on the LPE cam and had considered it in the past.

LPE 211 Specs: 211/219 530/560 112 LSA
Crane 227 210/224 479/518 112 LSA

I'm not a regular drag racer, but do have the occasional freeway encounter or hastened stoplight departure that I enjoy. Perf. mods are SLP headers, SLP TC, Borla, 3:42's, split rockers, ported heads and intake soon, stock TB.

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It really depends on your head flow numbers if you are having them ported. Ported heads flow a much better percentage exhaust compared to intake, but it depends on who ports them. If they are average porting and you don't have plans for N20 or a supercharger later, I'd say the LPE is a better choice, but many people run the 227 with great results. Bottom line, both will work great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That LPE has some HIGH lift.. Screw in studs will be a must.. You probably won't hear much of a lope from it either due to the low duration. And 1.5 rockers will probably be all you can use..

-Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Charlie,
I don't know much about the LPE cam, but I do know several people who run the "227" and have had excellent results with it, and no drivability issues.

Another good cam to throw into the mix is the Comp 305:
63-07-305-8 Comp Cams "305" LT1 Camshaft, 220 / 230, .510 / .510 114 LSA.
It has fairly agressive duration, and acceptable lift #'s, but being ground on a 114 lsa, it is also very streetable, and keeps the rpm range around 6000 or so. It will also work well with a power adder if you decide to go that route in the future !!
Just a thought. I run this cam, and have been very happy with it. If you run the split rockers, I would definantly go with screw-in studs, as the 1.6 rocker will put you at .544 lift. It can be done, but for safety sake I would do the studs. Also dont neglect the valve springs with any cam upgrade, the stockers ar at their limits with anything over about .500 lift ;)
HTH, Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I get a quick lesson on duration and how that impacts performance/driveability?

Since the first (2) numbers (210 vs 211) are close, I'll assume no difference.

Second set 219 vs 224, difference getting bigger, followed by significant differences in the last set. I assume that's the big duration factor?

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey Charlie, how's the Bel Air coming along?

FYI- With split rockers the 227 has a lift of .511/.518 vs .530/.525 for the LPE.

Of those two, I'd go with the 227. The extra exhaust duration will give maybe 10-12 more horsepower and will help out if you ever decide to go with nitrous or a supercharger. Plus it is a very well known cam to the big name RCM tuners out there. Karl E. went with this cam because Ed Wright said it was his favorite with the B-bodies.

As a reference, here is the stock 96 Impala cam specs. Big difference :D
191/[email protected], .418/.430 with 1.5 rockers, .446/.459 w/1.6, 111 LSA, 106.5 ICA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a look, you can see I have a little way to go! It's tough to make the first weld bringing it back together since all of the alignment has to be just right, the first time!! I've been measuring, fitting, measuring, fitting, etc.....
http://www.thecomptons.net/57

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.