Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the track other day and saw a z28 with a gear and stall and a lpe 219/219 cam.. and he was haulin... i mean he was in the 11 sec territory .Ran an 7.70 at 92 MPH Idled like stock no nitrous i checked.. Why do these LPE camshafts the 219 219 in particular perform like larger split duration camshafts.. Do some research on corvette boards.. people step up to larger comp cams 224/230 and go SLOWER!!!!

Lingenfelter amazes me.. i read that he had a philosophy against large camshafts insteas preferring large lift short duration.

Any thought lets start a good discussion

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LPE definitely did their home work on cam shafts.

The "duration" #'s are important and mis leading as well.

Once the timing events (IVO, IVC, EVO, EVC, overlap, etc) are worked out, the cam will work well regardless. A small spec'd cam will surprise you if the events are dead on.

I am surprised about the use of the same int/ex duration. I am a big believer in a split duratuona nd most cam designers feel the ame way.

You can't argue with the results though. I am sure that they have a reason for using the same lobes. Maybe this allows the same overlap with a larger int. lobe as opposed to using a smaller intake lobe or larger exhaust lobe and changing some of the timing events or overlap. For what ever reason, their cams all seem to work well for the duration #'s used.

Lloyd Elliott
Eportworks.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't pretend to know much tech about cams, but I read that the split duration cams were designed to "crutch" the relatively weak exhaust port on the gen1 SBC. If the exhaust is worked to flow better, the need for a split duration goes away.

Interesting to hear how well the Lingenfelter cam works, thanks for posting this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The split duration is a crutch for the SBC including the LT1, I have actually read about other motors where they split the duration the other way. Porting the heads helps even out the flow difference and should then require less duration split.
I think we need to know more about the car, look at what Karl, Pat, and stumpy(and many others) have accomplished, and guys at the track are also not always fully honest. I do think that often times people are still overcamming cars, from looking at the E.T. page the big Comp grinds do not seem to fare as well as the "milder" Crane/GMPP grinds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 94SSman:
Most of the LS1/LS6 high performance cams seem to be "crutched" the other way.
They also have drastically different heads...so thats comparing apples to oranges...or at least oranges to clementines.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL just a few more post whoring mike.
I liked 4dr LT4's the most. It's hard to find an intelligent post over there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish the LT1 heads and LSx heads were like Coke vs Pepsi when it comes to stock airflow! More like beer vs. whisky :(
There are dumb kids posting on camaroz28, but knowledgeable people posting good info too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just read a recent Popular Hot Rodding (I think it was part of their Engine Masters series), and they had a review of the Edelbrock heads/cam package. I noticed that their specs are very similar to this Lingenfelter 219 cam. Anyone else see this?

BTW - it was a good 40hp gain on a '94 Z28 with lots of miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.