Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Premium Member
5,523 Posts
Answering what pump , what regulator at this point is difficult because no one knows at this point , your planned power output and whether you will end up return or returnless type fuel system.
Both work , both have pros and cons.

Example , my system is more than the average swap requires , but it would not be sufficient for some of our more loony toons members here.

· Registered
3,110 Posts
... thought that the truck intake would fit though? Especially since most run the truck FEAD.
How much room one has above the engine vs how much room under and/or in front of the engine are each separate and distinct.

Most B- & D- cars have more than enough room on top of the engine for a TrailBlazer SS intake.

Reactions: BIGBODY9SIX

· Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm all about the 6.0L / 6.2L truck intake manifolds in B- & D- cars.
What's point in settling for a lesser OE intake that does not perform as well?
Plenty of room under the hood.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Answering what pump , what regulator at this point is difficult because no one knows at this point , your planned power output and whether you will end up return or returnless type fuel system.
Both work , both have pros and cons.

Example , my system is more than the average swap requires , but it would not be sufficient for some of our more loony toons members here.
Ok I see. It's going to mainly mild stock build rite now as far as I know or think I know. Headers,intake and stage 2 cam is what I'm going for

· Registered
1996 Impala SS
817 Posts
Well I heard it does and seen from other it do but I just don't like the look of it at all
Get over it. It works the best out of any intake especially in a big beast like the Impala. Just buy the beauty covers lol The NNBS ones look good, the NBS looks alright.

Yes same height as LQ4 truck intake. The TBSS intake is just the updated truck intake.

· Registered
3,110 Posts
Is the 2004 silverado 2500hd 6.0 motor have the dod/afm???
No V8 before 2005 had V4 mode. By 2010 most V8s had V4 mode, but not quite all.
2500 or 3500 6.0L V8s (L96 / LY6) should not have V4 mode hardware.

If you find a 'good deal' on 6.0L or 6.2L V8, with V4 mode, change the cam, lifters, and roller rockers, so as to avoid the V4 mode wear issues.

· Registered
105 Posts
No V8 before 2005 had V4 mode. By 2010 most V8s had V4 mode, but not quite all.
2500 or 3500 6.0L V8s (L96 / LY6) should not have V4 mode hardware.

If you find a 'good deal' on 6.0L or 6.2L V8, with V4 mode, change the cam, lifters, and roller rockers, so as to avoid the V4 mode wear issues.
Don't you also have to plug the oil passages to the lifters and replace the valley pan to one without the DOD control solenoids?
And confirming, L96 does not have DOD but does have VVT. Which I'm a fan of.

· Registered
3,110 Posts
Don't you also have to plug the oil passages to the lifters and replace the valley pan to one without the DOD control solenoids?
And confirming, L96 does not have DOD but does have VVT. Which I'm a fan of.
Truthfully I'm not sure.
What I was getting at was that every V8 with V4 mode ENABLED wears out the valvetrain.

Oughta know. Drove a YukonXL with V4 mode as livery for about 5 years / over 125,000 miles.
Actually had it custom-tuned to INCREASE V4 mode duty cycle time (pcmperformance).
Helped improve both city AND highway MpG! For two years it was pretty frickin great.
BUT y'all likely guessed, oil consumption became an issue.
After that, every winter, oil consumption got a lil bit worse. ≈ 1qt every 2000 miles near the end.

Should've
disabled V4 mode entirely
then calibrated the schidt out of spark and fuel and TCC locking
to improve MpGs instead of V4 mode. Learned the hard way.

Is merely disabling V4 mode in the software enough to avoid the valvetrain wear?
If not then do whatever needs doing. I simply figured to START by replacing the worn items.

· Premium Member
8,761 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: Marky Dissod
21 - 40 of 54 Posts