Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

LS newbie with questions?

3K views 58 replies 10 participants last post by  95wagon 
#1 ·
Found a 04 6.0 with a 4l80 behind it that I want to install on my car. My questions are what are some things I can delete from the motor and pcm. I know I'm going to delete vats and my rear o2 sensors what else should I do? I know I need a low profile oil pan. Considering just leaving the stock headers on for right now unless I find decent mid length headers thats affordable. Motor mounts are dirty dingos the place to go? What are you guys doing for the transmission support bar for the 4l80? And also what do I need to do about the fuel system set up? If there anything I'm leaving out let me know

#44 ·
Why not go with an LSA intake? fits under the cowl and stock hood. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

#49 · (Edited)
I posted it as a joke but in all seriusness, , an 04 6.0 will definitely handle an LSA blower at lower boost levels without any modifications to the motor itself. You will need to upgrade the fuel system with a pump, injectors and fuel pressure regulator capable of working with boost. Accessory drive, there are over a dozen options out there that work depending on your needs. At low boost numbers you can easily get away with the simple drives that run everything off a single serpentine belt with factory accessories. Plenty of people are running LSA blowers on stock 6.0's making in the low 500whp range without issues. TBH it's not all that difficult but definitely adds some cost and complication to the build at the added benefit of a ton more HP.

Just my opinion, but to me using one of these cheap-ish blowers is one of the main appeals to doing an LS swap in the first place. Most guys going through all the trouble to swap stock LS motors in aren't making more power than a heads/cam/refreshed bottom end LT1 would have made for the same cost and less labor time. The ease and cost of supercharging an LS though with one of these LSA blowers is a huge advantage over an LT1 though as many stock LS series engines can handle boost much better than a stock LT1, you have ECUs much more capable of being tuned effectively on boost and LSA blowers can be found for $2500 complete if you shop around. It was also a factory forced induction setup that is fairly reliable and self contained so you don't have to deal with half the headache you'd need to deal with when building a low cost turbo setup with welding up hot side/cold side piping, running oil lines, turbo mount, figuring out what waste gates and BOV's to use etc...

#50 ·
Hypereutectic pistons can "get away" with some boost at the 04 6.0's low 9.5:1 compression, but this is not really safe. Personally, I wouldn't have forced induction without (at least) swaping in some forged pistons. Yes I cracked a few hypereutectic pistons in my younger days. Chances are you paid next to nothing for the LQ4; show it some love with parts that can withstand forced induction. You know that after six months or so, you will be looking to spin that blower faster!

#54 ·
I've broken more than a few hypereutectic pistons with forced induction games. Most recently, I experienced piston failures in two different LSA engines. Now days, I don't play with adding horsepower unless I am fully forged.

This is always a good rule of thumb: "If adding a power adder like nitrous, turbo, or supercharger, we recommend avoiding the use of a cast or hypereutectic piston."

People should take any risk they are comfortable with, but I can tell you that it is cheaper to build it right first; instead of breaking it and then building it right.

#57 ·
03-07 Trucks have an in-tank fuel pump and regulator. I don't know how they would all work in an LS swap though

Personally I am not a super fan of the in-tank regulator because if you have to swap it you are buying a new fuel pump and dropping the tank (doesn't happen often but when it does...)

#59 ·
Hum , depending on the power your are planning possibly consider this

Besides a better pump it addresses a bunch of issues in the B body fuel system that reduce the delivery of fuel .

If you need to step it up later with power upgrades the pump above can be used as a low pressure pump to a surge tank and a more serious pump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.