Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have gen 5 ls3 with 4l80 had to use e38 with t42 I think or 43 trans controller only had vats deleted.. car starts i can get it to hold idle once it warms up but when I put it in gear nothing happens I fill up trans let it warm check it a couple of times its saying full now on the stick I ran it through the gears while idle but trans still not working or even feeling like its going into a gear.. is this a tuning issue or..?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
was the LS3 pcm from a manual car ??

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
My limited knowledge of that trans, should still have reverse and one forward gear ( think second ? ) with no power at all.
Did you put the trans on the engine ?
Any chance you broke the pump with a non seated convertor ?
Does the oil level change from off over night and running ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My limited knowledge of that trans, should still have reverse and one forward gear ( think second ? ) with no power at all.
Did you put the trans on the engine ?
Any chance you broke the pump with a non seated convertor ?
Does the oil level change from off over night and running ?
I didn't put it in... I have a tci converter .. i filled it up I've been seeing that it could take 10 quarts so I let it run and ran through the gears and checked the levels it was at full on the stick

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
What I was trying to say,
Check the level cold after sitting overnight NOT running.
The level for this check doesnt matter just note what it is.
Start the engine and check running after a few seconds.
The level should go down.
If there is not change at all, it may indicate the front pump is not working.

From what I read, 12 to14 on dry trans , convertor

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do first thing ...and on another note I would like to thank you for all your help i really appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
8,835 Posts
You have a mechanical problem. Even with no power to the transmission you should still have 2nd and reverse.

I'm going to ask the dumb questions because it's usually something dumb.
  1. Is it making any strange noises? (if the torque converter wasn't fully seated during install, tightening the engine and transmission together usually breaks the pump rotor)
  2. Are the torque converter bolts installed and tight?
  3. Hook a hydraulic pressure gauge (0-300psi is best) up to the pressure test port and see if you're getting pressure.
  4. Is the shift linkage hooked up?
  5. Is the internal shift linkage hooked up? (inside the transmission)
  6. Is the manual shift valve in the valvebody in place?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. No noise runs smoothly i can see the tc converter spinning.. I didn't install the tc it was at a shop they couldn't figure the ecm out.
2. I would say they would but I'll double check bc things where loose when I went and got the car from the shop
3. Will do
4. Its hooked up
5. I didn't know there was 1
6. Idk about that 1 either so I'll have to get help with 3.5.6

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I was trying to say,
Check the level cold after sitting overnight NOT running.
The level for this check doesnt matter just note what it is.
Start the engine and check running after a few seconds.
The level should go down.
If there is not change at all, it may indicate the front pump is not working.

From what I read, 12 to14 on dry trans , convertor
Check it let it run a few seconds i checked it off but the levels was still at the same spot 😤

·
Super Moderator
8,835 Posts
Are you're sure you're reading the dipstick right? Fresh fluid on an automatic transmission dipstick can be very difficult to read. I normally just look for the lowest dry spot I can find.

If the level does NOT change from running to off, then you have a pump failure. I would call KSD and ask them what they think too.

And for God's sake, DON'T do any modifiactions. I hate it when people modifiact things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you're sure you're reading the dipstick right? Fresh fluid on an automatic transmission dipstick can be very difficult to read. I normally just look for the lowest dry spot I can find.

If the level does NOT change from running to off, then you have a pump failure. I would call KSD and ask them what they think too.

And for God's sake, DON'T do any modifiactions. I hate it when people modifiact things.
top is cold check ..bottom after start

·
Super Moderator
8,835 Posts
You need to find the actual location on the dipstick where the fluid level stops. From the photos, it looks like the level in both cases is above the marks on the tab. Clean and dry the cable and try again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update ......
I gave up for a couple of days but today I went and grab another gallon of fuild I took the line off at the cooler started it and the trans fuild flew almost across the street 😅 so I had pressure.. put it in drive let it roll down my drive way hit the gas and she moves... didn't have enough fuild .. bout to get a tune done on it and will get back with you guys ... thank yall to for the help cause I was gonna say fk it..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts