Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1283 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Quick question about LS swap with ABS. Does anyone know if they had any issues with fitting the factory ABS and factory brake lines to the ABS module/pump on a 96 with an LS swap? Any given FEAD that works or doesn't work with ABS? Reason I ask is because I was going to order a set of stainless brake lines but I'm not going to waste money on a pre-bent kit if the ABS module/pump needs to be relocated or if the lines need to be drastically altered.
thanks!

The ABS unit gets pretty cozy with the Corvette Alternator .
I moved my down, forward and left a bit. ( pictures in thread)
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/885/2389/2211194280_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/885/2389/2211194137_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/885/2389/2211194138_large.jpg

Can not say positively if production lines would survive the move as mine were already redone because of the useless routing in a 95-96.

If I recall, they didn't even clear the headers in an LT1 car!!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Quick question about LS swap with ABS. Does anyone know if they had any issues with fitting the factory ABS and factory brake lines to the ABS module/pump on a 96 with an LS swap? Any given FEAD that works or doesn't work with ABS? Reason I ask is because I was going to order a set of stainless brake lines but I'm not going to waste money on a pre-bent kit if the ABS module/pump needs to be relocated or if the lines need to be drastically altered.
thanks!
No clearance issues with truck, 2010+ Camaro accessories. Not 100%sure on Corvette.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
No clearance issues with truck, 2010+ Camaro accessories. Not 100%sure on Corvette.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Well the plot thickens...after calling about 6 crate engine retailers inquiring about what balancer pulley the B15 LSX376 comes with, I was only able to get one fairly unsure sounding answer from a Scoggin Dickey tech stating that he believes the engine uses a Y body balancer.

Because I'd rather not swap the balancer out on a warrantied motor, it looks like I am going to attempt to use the Y body accessories with KDS mounts. I'm hoping I won't have to notch the K member too much, I don't mind notching it at all but I'm a stickler for chassis rigidity and if I have to take more than a small chunk out I am going to have to get OCD in regards to reinforcing...and that's more fabrication work that I don't feel like doing LOL

It is sounding like I am just going to have to find out the hard way, but if anyone has any experience with Y body accessories please do chime in!

I'll be picking up a cheap LM7 bare block and heads later in the week for mockup and ordering the KDS mounts, so looks like this B15 swap will be moving forward.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
anyone has any experience with Y body accessories please do chime in!
Ding ?

The AC will be deep into the crossmember .
You will note on my build I spaced the AC WAY ahead so the belt is actually in front of the production accessory pulley instead of behind it

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Thanks Gerry! My brain is so friend from this I forgot to check your thread. Trying to rush this project finished before I possibly close on a house, so between that and the holidays I am in overdrive researching lol. I think I'll find more info on the gen 4 swap in your thread than anywhere else so I'm going to have sit down after work tomorrow and read it in its entirety. Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
108 Posts
hello all had a question regarding the ls swap wiring for the altenator.

I have 3 wires I'm unsure of how to wire up on the LS altenator plug. (were on the altentor plug does it go out of the 4 wires)

on the LS harness I have only one wire coming from pcm which is signal to PCM

on the LT1 harness I have 2 brown wires a ALTENATOR EXCITER WIRE & ALTENATOR GUAGE WIRE

how do I wire these up on the 4pin LS style altenator connector???

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
We need to know the exact application of the alternator.

Reason?
Well, an "F" body four pin ( and others) I believe you can get your alt warning on the "B" body car to work .
2006 Corvette Alternator, won't control a lamp , no matter where you put the lamp wire .

I have the E67 controlling the Vette alternator through the one wire.
It works perfectly but to get the battery lamp on the dash to work I had to fit a voltage controlled ground relay to the Impala-Caprice lamp circuit .

·
Registered
108 Posts

Reason?
Well, an "F" body four pin ( and others) I believe you can get your alt warning on the "B" body car to work .
2006 Corvette Alternator, won't control a lamp , no matter where you put the lamp wire .

It works perfectly but to get the battery lamp on the dash to work I had to fit a voltage controlled ground relay to the Impala-Caprice lamp circuit .

0411 PCM truck altenator truck accessories.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Reason?

0411 pcm 2002 truck altenator 140amp truck accessories

·
Registered
2 Posts
So looking for a little help just picked up a 1996 caprice 4.3 baby lt then I picked up motor transmission computer pedal and wiring harness I have everything from an 2003 tahoe with 5.3 so my question is what all modification do I need to do to make it fit and run I'm very new to 5.3 swap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I have swapped LT1/4L60E's into older vehicles, but LS swaps are new to me. I picked up an LY6 6.0 out of a 2007 Suburban with a long range plan to swap it into my 1996 Impala SS after I collect all of the pieces. It came with a harness, PCM, and controller, and a rebuilt 4L80E trans, but unfortunately it was for a 4 wheel drive setup. I had read here that you could use the original LT1 4L60E with a spacer arrangement. My LY6 setup came with a 24235340 transmission controller. Can this controller be used to shift my 4L60E? If so does it need reprogramming? If not, will a GM transmission controller for a 2007 4L60E be used to shift my LT1 4L60E. The aftermarket transmission controllers seem pretty expensive (more than I paid for the engine/ transmission drive line).

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
You can reflash the T42 TCM to run a 4L60e, but you will also need to have some functions turned off. The 06+ 60e's got an input speed sensor, which an LT1 trans won't have. I would consider calling a trans shop and see if they'd convert the 80e to 2WD.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the information!
It might be cheaper to just sell my 4wd 4L80E and buy a used 2wd one. Will the 4L80e fit into a B-body without tunnel rework?
From info online the 4L60E is rated for 360 ft.lb. and the LY6 rated at 383 Ft. Lb. I had to rebuild my 4L60E twice since I bought car in 1998. I don't flog it regularly. Maybe using a 4L60E is asking for trouble with the LY6.
Pete

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Thanks for the information!
It might be cheaper to just sell my 4wd 4L80E and buy a used 2wd one. Will the 4L80E fit into a B-body without tunnel rework?
From info online the 4L60E is rated for 360 ft.lb. and the LY6 rated at 383 Ft. Lb. I had to rebuild my 4L60E twice since I bought car in 1998. I don't flog it regularly. Maybe using a 4L60E is asking for trouble with the LY6.
If you're trying to save EVERY penny and have the time, a 4L80E is still acceptable for talented DIYers, but in the end, no one can change the fact that for any two otherwise identical cars, the 4L80E will always be slower AND will get worse MpGs due to inferior gearing compared to the 4L60E, so eventually, any money you initially saved will just pay for gas.
Yes, you will need to rework the tunnel for a 4L80E.

If you can afford a decent rebuild, ask sherlock9c1 where to buy a properly rebuilt 4L60E; the info ratings you've cited are seriously outdated and only apply to crappy rebuilders.
Search sherlock9c1's posts, you'll find stickyworthy advice that might actually manage to help you understand why there's very little 4L80E info here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As recommended I checked Sherlock9C1's posts. Lots of good information, My car won't be a race car, just a fun driver. Maybe I'll sell the 4L80E 4wd trans and watch for a later gen 2wd 4L60E to make my life simpler.
Thanks for your input.
Pete

·
Registered
44 Posts
It may be buried somewhere in these 1200 posts but don't forget to upgrade your fuel pump. The stock Imp SS fuel pump won't support the fuel requirements of a slightly warmed LS2. Dyno HP was less than expected and the thing gets hot and burns out wires. Not good around gasoline.

1261 - 1280 of 1283 Posts