Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most common used pan and mount combo being used on swaps? I'm thinking about getting kds mounts and f body oil pan?..What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am currently using a Holley 302-1 GM and it fits great with energy suspension SBC mounts, the pan fits the cradle just like the 350 pan did. I was using the GM muscle car oil pan but it hung to low and my wagon is lowered. Sorry my phone keeps uploading the pics upside down. One is of the Holley from the rear and the other is of both.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
What mounts are you using? I'm using KDS mounts. I used a factory F body pan I purchased from Improved Racing then purchased their baffle kit for better oil control. It fits great, no issues.

the baffle kit is a must for the F body pan IMO if you are making any real power. F body guys have lots of data on LS1 tech of pretty significant oil pressure drops caused by starvation upon acceleration on cars that were cutting decent 60 foot times (we're not talking about only 9 second cars here).

I talked to Improved Racing about the baffling on their F body setup vs the Holley with optional baffle kit. turns out they were contracted to design the trap door kit for the Holley pan so the only real difference were pan dimensions.

Since the holley pans are similar in shape to the F body pan, I would imagine any oil control issues an F body pan would have, the holley pan would have too. When you add the optional baffle kit with the holley pan it comes out to a bit more $$$ than the F body pan with Improved Racing baffle kit which is why I went with the latter.

You could probably ignore all the oil control stuff if you're just doing a budget LS swap with 400hp or something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning on kds mounts...Car has a 6.0 swap already...But has a modified truck pan that has seen better day's...Transmission is from the donor truck also..Oil pan is close to suspension, and transmission crossmember hole has been slotted for trans mount to line up...Almost like engine sits a few inches forward...Hoping kds mounts can remedy this?..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am currently using a Holley 302-1 GM and it fits great with energy suspension SBC mounts, the pan fits the cradle just like the 350 pan did. I was using the GM muscle car oil pan but it hung to low and my wagon is lowered. Sorry my phone keeps uploading the pics upside down. One is of the Holley from the rear and the other is of both.
Last pic is muscle car pan?

·
Premium Member
20,288 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the full holley kit with baffle and all, I'm also running a high flow/high pressure melling oil pump so I dont have any oil starvation issues has of now, almost 10k miles and my little turbo 5.3 is still kicking butt

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm planning on kds mounts...Car has a 6.0 swap already...But has a modified truck pan that has seen better day's...Transmission is from the donor truck also..Oil pan is close to suspension, and transmission crossmember hole has been slotted for trans mount to line up...Almost like engine sits a few inches forward...Hoping kds mounts can remedy this?..
If you are planning on swapping to KDS mounts, the mounts were designed to work with the F body pan so that will work fine. The holley pan also fits so it's just a matter of preference at that point.

Just keep in mind that a lot of LS swaps I've seen with adjustable mounts place the engine a decent amount forward from where the factory drivetrain would have sat. The KDS mounts retain the stock drivetrain angles, engine placement (front to back) crank centerline height I believe which to me was a big selling point because I don't like the idea of moving the single heaviest component of your car even an inch more forward or higher than where it was before. Issue with this is if you swap mounts, there is a good chance your current headers may not fit and you may run into some other minor clearance issues from the change of positioning.

As far as the slotted X member goes, this is more than likely because of the mounts you currently have, and with the KDS mounts you should be able to run a factory crossmember IF you are still running a Gen2/LT1 4l60e. I swapped over to an LS 4l60e and the trans mount position was WAY further forward than the LT and I had to do some extensive modifications to my tubular X member.

Another note, KDS mounts provide 3/8ths of wiggle room by having slotted holes to account for chassis to chassis variations. To clear the F body pan I had to run my motor in the furthest to rear position. Aside from some clearance issues I had to address with my LSA supercharger and tall style valve covers, everything fit fine and this actually helped give me a little more clearance to the K member of my 1 7/8ths TSP headers.

Depending on what headers you have now, it may just be easier to find a pan that works with your current mounts rather than risk running into header clearance issues and possibly AC compressor clearance issues by swapping to KDS mounts. KDS mounts work great with a very specific part selection (F body pan, F body headers, truck accessory drive) but if you don't already have all of that, it could be troublesome to switch over to them. I can't remember if a truck AC compressor clears without notching the chassis either, you may have to run a mini compressor.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Ls1 fead is what I'm running..
With the compressor up high, I can't see you having a problem but you may want to check with KDS first about the alternator clearance as the KDS mounts will be changing the height and forward to back positioning of the engine.

What headers do you have now?

·
Premium Member
20,288 Posts
Ray…..I do have a new F-body pan that I won't be using.

PM your email for pictures.

KW

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are planning on swapping to KDS mounts, the mounts were designed to work with the F body pan so that will work fine. The holley pan also fits so it's just a matter of preference at that point.

Just keep in mind that a lot of LS swaps I've seen with adjustable mounts place the engine a decent amount forward from where the factory drivetrain would have sat. The KDS mounts retain the stock drivetrain angles, engine placement (front to back) crank centerline height I believe which to me was a big selling point because I don't like the idea of moving the single heaviest component of your car even an inch more forward or higher than where it was before. Issue with this is if you swap mounts, there is a good chance your current headers may not fit and you may run into some other minor clearance issues from the change of positioning.

As far as the slotted X member goes, this is more than likely because of the mounts you currently have, and with the KDS mounts you should be able to run a factory crossmember IF you are still running a Gen2/LT1 4l60e. I swapped over to an LS 4l60e and the trans mount position was WAY further forward than the LT and I had to do some extensive modifications to my tubular X member.

Another note, KDS mounts provide 3/8ths of wiggle room by having slotted holes to account for chassis to chassis variations. To clear the F body pan I had to run my motor in the furthest to rear position. Aside from some clearance issues I had to address with my LSA supercharger and tall style valve covers, everything fit fine and this actually helped give me a little more clearance to the K member of my 1 7/8ths TSP headers.

Depending on what headers you have now, it may just be easier to find a pan that works with your current mounts rather than risk running into header clearance issues and possibly AC compressor clearance issues by swapping to KDS mounts. KDS mounts work great with a very specific part selection (F body pan, F body headers, truck accessory drive) but if you don't already have all of that, it could be troublesome to switch over to them. I can't remember if a truck AC compressor clears without notching the chassis either, you may have to run a mini compressor.
was a custom driveshaft needed when running the LS based 4l60e?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Not 100% on this but I think the output shafts are the same for LT or LS, just the input shaft diameter that changes. Both trans should be the same length end of end so i don't see why the stock driveshaft wouldn't work if you are using the LS 60e with KDS mounts that keep the driveline angles/positions the same but I can't confirm because I don't yet have a driveshaft in my car and I was going with a custom shaft anyway (longer aluminum shaft for 3/4 extended LCA's and 1350 pinion yoke).

As far as I know, there were only two types of LS 4l60e's; one was a longer tail shaft version found in 4wd vehicles only and the other is the short output shaft version found in all 2wd vehicles.

I want to post on LS1 tech and see if there were variations in the case for the trans mount though between LS and LT F bodies or if maybe my trans was from something else, as I never heard of LT F bodies using different crossmember from LT's but the trans mount mounting point on my LS trans was a good distance off from the LT.

·
Premium Member
20,288 Posts
1. Pictures sent.

2. I used the 4L60E already in my Impala. If you use stock length lower control arms, but a driveshaft for extended control arms......you'll have a perfect fit!

KW

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
TSP headers.

(F body pan, F body headers, truck accessory drive) but if you don't already have all of that, it could be troublesome to switch over to them.
What year F-body were the headers for?
Also, what truck and model year for the FEAD donor? Do I take the brackets and all accessories from the truck?

Also, will an F-body pan clear a 4" stroke?

TIA

·
Premium Member
20,288 Posts
.......Also, will an F-body pan clear a 4" stroke?.....
I'm gonna say...."Yes".

The LS3 F-body pan is the same as the pan that came on the LS3 Chevy SS.

When I did my stroker install, we transferred the pan from the OEM LS3 to the stroker LS3. My stroker has a 4.1" crank.

KW

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Without wading into the "is a 10+ Camaro an F body?" pool,

I think when most speak of LS "F" pans, they're are refereing to 98-02.

KW, doesn't your SS have the great long 9 quart pan that my G8 has?

Think the same as 10+ Camaro?
Cant see that fitting a 94-96 impala.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,288 Posts
Without wading into the "is a 10+ Camaro an F body?" pool,

I think when most speak of LS "F" pans, they're are refereing to 98-02.

KW, doesn't your SS have the great long 9 quart pan that my G8 has?

Think the same as 10+ Camaro?
Cant see that fitting a 94-96 impala.
2010+ LS3 Pan......8 quart.

The LS1 pan is about 1/2" deeper....but is about 1 1/2" shorter (length).

https://www.improvedracing.com/tech/LS-oil-pan-dimensions.php

KW

1 - 20 of 26 Posts