Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What direction should I go?

I'm dropping in a 6.0 LQ4 LS V8, with around 400hp into my 94 caprice wagon.

I'm looking for least amount of headaches and bullshit.

Definitely want to keep driveshaft and linkage.

Tell me where to spend my money smartly.

· Super Moderator
4,828 Posts
400hp is an easy 4L60E build to support by a shop that actually bothers to learn what causes 3-4 clutchpack failures. If you ask them about the things in this article and about if they have the tools to replace the pressure regulator valve, they should be OK. BestBuy Transmissions has a good build list for their 4L60Es; IF (and that's a big if) you can find a local shop, I'd always recommend that route. Go ask the local racers, plow trucks or delivery fleets who does their transmissions. Heck, if you were close to Huntsville, AL, I could build you one. It wouldn't be cheap, but it would meet all your criteria.

EDIT - I only say that because now that the cores have 150-200k miles on them, you really have to check every valve (doesn't take long with the right tools) and have specific tools and reamers to correct internal leaks to build one that will last.

The other option is to buy one from a big name from the Summit Racing catalog, but I have no idea what's inside those. They do ask a pretty penny for them; I don't know if that's from parts, union labor, or warranty. Nor if the units are new or remanufactured.

· Premium Member
8,761 Posts
Reactions: sherlock9c1

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,780 Posts
400hp I'd go with a built 60e. I'm at 700whp and I finally caved and went 80e after going through several built 60e's. At that point, so many parts are being replaced and so many modifications are being made to the trans that IMO the complication of the build makes for a lot of room for error. an 80e will take much fewer parts replaced and a much more basic build to handle the same power.

I'm sure there are 60e's out there that could handle my setup but it wasn't worth going through any more to find one. I wonder if on a drag car that sees consistent 1-2-3 passes with relatively consistent traction the 60e would hold up better, but on a street car seeing hard downshifts, heavy spinning then sudden traction etc...I was breaking them in no time with the violent torque delivery of the PD blower.

If you plan to add forced induction down the line, I would save yourself the trouble and go 80e now. If 400hp is all you'll ever want, I think you'd be fine with a built 60e. There are a couple of benefits to a 60e for a 400hp car. The steeper 1st gear gets you off the line harder (it becomes detrimental with more HP, but at 400hp IMO it's still beneficial). The .70 OD will get you about 150-200rpm's lower on the highway, it's a little lighter and probably has a little less parasitic loss although that last part I think is way over exaggerated by some people.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info...

I know I can fit the 60e on my stock transmission crossmember with an ovaled mounting hole and sliding motor mounts.

Will a 80e fit the same, or do I need to pop for a new crossmember, or fab one doesn't sound too hard ... but I'd prefer easy.

· Premium Member
280 Posts
80e or bust! Throw in an hd2 kit and it will be more than sufficient for your build plus an extra 200hp

· Registered
442 Posts
HD2 kit is not worth the money. if the trans is out just dual feed it the right way. run a sonnax LB1 boost valve with the stock spring (dont use the one supplied). drill out the shift holes on separator plate. if you dual feed i would block the 3rd accumulator. if you're running a small diameter TC, I would block the 4th accunulator. more importantly is to make sure the AFL valve and TCC valve are in good shape.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HD2 kit is not worth the money. if the trans is out just dual feed it the right way. run a sonnax LB1 boost valve with the stock spring (dont use the one supplied). drill out the shift holes on separator plate. if you dual feed i would block the 3rd accumulator. if you're running a small diameter TC, I would block the 4th accunulator. more importantly is to make sure the AFL valve and TCC valve are in good shape.
Thanks. But bro. I'm a bodyman. I'm not drilling or rebuilding a transmission to save $400.

I just want to know where to spend my money... 4l60e or 4l80e to support 400hp

· Registered
3,108 Posts
Re-read these:
sherlock9c1 knows his schidt.

After re-reading this post, remember that every LQ9 came attached to a 4L65E, which is a better-built 4L60E.

· Premium Member
280 Posts
Just because the lq9 came from the factory attached to the 65e doesn’t mean diddly! They could barely handle the 365hp made on a stock lq9, and he’s upping the hp and (I’m assuming) he’ll be getting a tune. The 80e would be the wiser choice for peace of mind as well as room to grow. As for the guy telling you to bypass the hd2 kit, just do a search.

· Premium Member
280 Posts

· Registered
3,108 Posts
Just because the LQ9 came from the factory attached to the 65E doesn’t mean diddly!
They could barely handle the 365hp made on a stock LQ9, and he’s upping the hp and (I’m assuming) he’ll be getting a tune.
So how's the 4L60E in your '94 SS doing?
What did you do to get it to take more power and torque?
Why didn't you go with a 4L80E instead?

Seriously, the answer might help Alpha_numeric44.

· Premium Member
280 Posts
So how's the 4L60E in your '94 SS doing?
What did you do to get it to take more power and torque?
Why didn't you go with a 4L80E instead?

Seriously, the answer might help Alpha_numeric44.
My stock 94’ 60e was sold with the Lt1 12 years ago, it had been rebuilt 1x. The 65e that was behind the LS been gone for 8 years now, it was still running when I sold the setup, but that was a built tranny with a yank converter. Knowing what I know now, it’s 80e or bust as far as od trans go, unless I can find someone who truly knows how to tune the newer 6L, 8L or 10L. But my current ttbbc that’s going in my 94’ will be backed by an 80 or 85 unless I hit the lottery and decide to shell out $ for a full billet built 200-4r.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts