Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this isnt a complete rebuild but i am in the process of swapping a LS 5.3 into my car 95 ss. tight budget isnt the word im trying to see how low i can go. the stock LM7 cost me 450 missing starter P/S pump intake, and ac compressor. i got it home and started the harness pics in a few minutes

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i ended up getting some parts i needed for 135, heres the beginning

getting the engine off the farm u prob cant see but these are ****in cows it was like 30 of them that walked up when the guy started the tractor to lift the engine he also broke like 3 coils in the process

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok now that the engine is at my house i examine parts and realize the guy cut the damn harness in half at the thickest part and i wasnt going to mess around trying to figure out what went where (now i know i can fix it after doing mine) but at the time i wasnt trying to bother it so i sourced another harness

getting the engine off he trailer

a old engine stand that was never put together was used

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HA! got the motor on the ground

time to wire stuff... FUUUUUUUUUUU

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i used info from this site to get started. lt1swap.com
1st you number the pins that are used there are 2 connectors to the pcm red/blue each have 80 pins but not all are used. i took a red and blue marker and a piece of paper. numbered the paper for the pins i used and wrapped them around the wires. red for red blue for blue then cut off the c2 c100 c202 c205 connectors might have one of those connectors named wrong im going off of memory. i then labeled some of the wires as remove... that came in helpful later...

the new harness, PCM and truck intake i also got 4 coils 3 plug wires, oil pressue gauge, n stuff

i then pulled the wires out the PCM that i didnt use and labeled them

strip the loom off the wires

then AFTER you label the wire depin everything on the pcm connectors

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
then you plug up all the connectors and starty moving the wires to where u want the PCM, im doing mine in the factory location so they were right by the ALT.

the injectors 1,3,5,7

then i zip tied them in the position where i want them

then pulled the harness back off and sat it down how it was gunna be setup those white tabs are labels for the plugs there are list of the plugs and what they do online lt1swap.com

i looked into getting a megasquirt but said NAH! after seeing that price and knowing that i deal with wires on a daily i could do it.

i then shortened the wires to fit in the stock location. LOOK AT THE LABELED PINS one of my labeles fell off but i just looked up what color the number it was and put it back

got wire loom that i had already gunna wrap it better but only had a lil E tape left

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i fu cked around and bolted the engine stand bolts backwards and had to sit a jack under it and take the bolts off one at a time to turn them around. THEN i bolted the flexplate to the engine and attached the starter. i had to change 3 coils, and 4 plug wires. and seeing as the PCM isnt able to be bypassed from the circuit 226 vats bypass the injectors wont fire so i used starter fluid to get it going. it scared the SH IT outta me i wasnt expecting it to be that loud. but hey it ran for 3 seconds then died. to get the engine to start you have to connect all the pink....pink/black and orange wires to pos battery, ground the engine, ground all the black....black/white wires then the thick purple is starter solenoid wire.

so now that i know that there are no real grimlins in the wires i can start the rebuild of the engine. im changing the bearings, rings, seals, and gaskets, porting the heads, headgasket, making the 4l60e to work with it, efans, 3.73 gears, and maybe rebuild trans.

stay sexy people thats all for now. this process was about 3 days from start to now. my 190k DD engine is for sale also 500$

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if anybody has any info on the engine mounts , or oil pan please feel free to reply

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Looks like a good start. Love the pics. Most people would say check the stickies in engine performance..But brp sells kits-mixed results on that. s&p i think makes them too.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that LS swap thread is full of fu ck, 100 pages of..... WHAT? over complicating a simple task. it really is simple now that i actually tore one down. and that whole thread can be compressed into like 4-10 pages

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm looking into doing this sswap in the next month. My opti went in my wagon and so instead of replacing all yhe acessories I'm thinkthinking about going with the lm7 and hopefully a t56

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went and got some stuff from advance auto part then immediately took it back seeing as ALL the gaskets, bearings, and bolts are less then 200 on ebay and i paid 108 just for headgasket, head bolts, and rod bearings... so ill b ordering the kit today, also sent my pcm off to get tuned and vats removed 2 days ago. REMEMBER ON THE TRUCKS THE VATS WIRE IS NOT IN THE PCM

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
that LS swap thread is full of fu ck, 100 pages of..... WHAT? over complicating a simple task. it really is simple now that i actually tore one down. and that whole thread can be compressed into like 4-10 pages
LMBO!! Yeah, the LS sticky is FULL of useless crap that doesn't need to be there.I don't remember how many copied and pasted pages there are of engine specs. cwm3cwm3cwm3cwm3

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sending my pcm off, i worked a deal with the guy trading another one for a lil more tuning

dropping off the pcms listening to hootie and the blowfish with one of my girlfriends

removed the rockers and pushrods

took the head off, dished pistons came on the 5.3 the 4.8 had flat tops along with the 6.0, and 6.2

the stuff that i took back

PURPLE POWER IS A BEAST!!! i sat the top rocker in purple power for 8 hours didnt even touch it no scrubbing just took out and washed off the rocker

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Any progress on the leaves or yard work ??? :Dcwm2 My neighbors would lose their minds .:D

Awesome work guy! I'm megasquirting a 455 buick and it looks a lot simpler than what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how would you know whats simpler if you never tried it. there are lot of people on here that just say "itll b too expensive so im not gunna try it" how would they know i seen someone on here say 5000 for a swap. LIES! i shoul b at 1000$ after all said and done seeing as im not "afraid to try what no one else has" as common as these engine are the people on this forum are stuck in the stone age. some one ask about a swap an they say just make the lt1 faster. im just thinkin thats not the question they asked lol. ill post a better thread in the engine performance about the actual wiring the harness. the tear down is surprisingly simple there are videos all over about how to do it and NOT a single video or thread about the wiring on this forum. its sad really

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
how would you know whats simpler if you never tried it. there are lot of people on here that just say "itll b too expensive so im not gunna try it" how would they know i seen someone on here say 5000 for a swap. LIES! i shoul b at 1000$ after all said and done seeing as im not "afraid to try what no one else has" as common as these engine are the people on this forum are stuck in the stone age. some one ask about a swap an they say just make the lt1 faster. im just thinkin thats not the question they asked lol. ill post a better thread in the engine performance about the actual wiring the harness. the tear down is surprisingly simple there are videos all over about how to do it and NOT a single video or thread about the wiring on this forum. its sad really
I'm liking your work! I've thought about doing this a lot also. Researched the [email protected] out of it. My LT1 only has 105 k on it now though so I have a while. This is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger. Are you going to use the stock transmission with the crank spacer?
I don't know what is simpler. That wiring looks kind of confusing. The megasquirt is like a 10 wire hookup. I'm using TBI for fuel delivery etc.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
An LS harness is only about 10 wires too. It's pretty easy. You need to weed out the ones you don't need, and then you have a few 12V and 12V switched wires, and grounds.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.