Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about putting an LS1 motor in my 95 caprice. Does anyone have it in their car or what else do you recommend. Or should I stick with an LT1?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm thinking about putting an LS1 motor in my 95 caprice. Does anyone have it in their car or what else do you recommend. Or should I stick with an LT1?
just to do the swap is going to cost you anywhere from 3500-5000 and that aint including upgrades. whats the advantage of spending that much for a stock ls block swap instead of just putting that money into a lt1 block and heads and making way more power? is it just to say that you have a ls block? i never understood the reason for this other than peeple do it just because thats what they want to do. but if you doing it for more performance isnt it a waste of money?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
just to do the swap is going to cost you anywhere from 3500-5000 and that aint including upgrades. whats the advantage of spending that much for a stock ls block swap instead of just putting that money into a lt1 block and heads and making way more power? is it just to say that you have a ls block? i never understood the reason for this other than peeple do it just because thats what they want to do. but if you doing it for more performance isnt it a waste of money?
Look at the LS aftermarket, and look at the LT aftermarket. Big difference when it comes to support and engine options. That is why i did mine...pure options. I have idk how much into my swap, but mine was trial an error for some things. If I could go back and do it again, would I?...Hell yes...but with a nasty stroker. It's all up to personal preference on what they want to do. Oh and BTW, my stock LS block ran 14.4 half tuned with the SES light on, stock 3.08, and no stall.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Before making statements like that do your homework. My low mile Ly6 engine with all accessories posted $1500. Swap the cam out and you have an instant 500 plus HP. There are other things needed for the swap but compare that price to a 500 HP Lt1 and you will be surprised. Don't get it twisted the Lt1 is still a good engine but sky is the limit on the ls stuff.

·
Registered
382 Posts
BTW you do know the stock l92 heads on the 07 and up 6.0/6.2 engines flow better than any lt1 head available (330 cfms)?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I say go for it, I have 6.0/ 4l80 in my 06 pickup and love it. Looking for the same setup to put in my 95 ss now. Like they said look at the thread at the top of this section, It's good info for you to reed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Look at the LS aftermarket, and look at the LT aftermarket. Big difference when it comes to support and engine options. That is why i did mine...pure options. I have idk how much into my swap, but mine was trial an error for some things. If I could go back and do it again, would I?...Hell yes...but with a nasty stroker. It's all up to personal preference on what they want to do. Oh and BTW, my stock LS block ran 14.4 half tuned with the SES light on, stock 3.08, and no stall.

Before making statements like that do your homework. My low mile Ly6 engine with all accessories posted $1500. Swap the cam out and you have an instant 500 plus HP. There are other things needed for the swap but compare that price to a 500 HP Lt1 and you will be surprised. Don't get it twisted the Lt1 is still a good engine but sky is the limit on the ls stuff.
Can you guys please post some pics of your swaps? There is info here to look at, It would just be cool to see pics of builds that are complete and running.You too guys are allways here replying to questions that are asked, Just would like to see under hood pics to how they are set up. Unless it's a secret :D

Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here are a few:

·
Registered
787 Posts
eshaw301,, No waist of money.. If done using correct resources and planning.. GREAT SWAP!! I would do again !! Roger

·
Registered
382 Posts
If I would have known you were going to post your pics I wouldn't have posted mine! Seriously, you did a hek of a job on your swap. Thats why I will be making mine a little neater over the winter.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If I would have known you were going to post your pics I wouldn't have posted mine! Seriously, you did a hek of a job on your swap. Thats why I will be making mine a little neater over the winter.
Nahh that is what happens when u get bored and broke... I have a paint gun and paint so I just painted stuff til I got more money. lol ..
Roger

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
bhop, what drive by wire pedal are you running? Did you modify it much? Are you happy with how it fits?

2TONCHEVY, how much engine cradle work (if any) did the AC compressor require?

·
Registered
787 Posts
2TONCHEVY, how much engine cradle work (if any) did the AC compressor require?
It was maybe 1.5" to clear back of compressor. This is mainly for the connection on the lines. There is another AC compressor that will work with the F-Body accessories and the lines come out of the top rear of compressor and the eliminates that issue. If I remember the compressor that is on SHARP96s (LS2) is the compressor.
Roger

·
Registered
654 Posts
ok now that makes sense but i was just curious as to why dump so much money into a block swap when you could get that much power ouf of a lt1. and for the aftermarket for the lt1, what is available for the ls1 that isnt there for the lt1 motors? i mean you have unlimited amounts of heads, cams, intakes, iginitions, tuning options, etc. isnt that all that you need? i mean dollar for dollar from what i have seen, i really havent seen much of a difference. what i mean is that one could spend about 2-3k on some heads for both blocks and they both will make generally the same amount of power. and to say you ran a 14.4 with a cam swap and half tune, arent there guys here that have run mid 14s with just bolt ons and no gear/tq converter swaps? correct me if im wrong but im certain there are guys here that have done that with bolt ons without a cam. im just trying to get a understanding of the performance advantage that the ls1 offers over the lt1. not bustin your b*lls or anything, just trying to get better knowledge as to why to do the swap other than for personal preference. if you doing it because thats your thing, i truly understand that...just wanna see the advantages of performance.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The reason for my swap was not solely a performance choice..

My guess is this swap would not be a "choice" that you would make for you 96. As a matter fact I see you are doing mods to your LTx motor now. Nothing wrong with that as many LTx cars run fast and fine. Most who have done this swap are motivated by different reasons.

My Reasons: Car originally had a 4.3 (L99)
LSx options = many
Price of 6.0 = 1k ,, Included Trans, PCM, Wiring,,Motor had less then 20k miles
I wanted to install a motor that was easy to make horsepower with and the variety of mods just keep growing.. (Looking at doing a LS9 blower=future )
This GM LSx platform continues to be the engine of choice going forward.
Part of my reason for doing it was to do something a little different (at the time).

If you get a chance and feel like reading, you may want to go over to LS1 tech and read up on some of the LSx motors.. Some of these folks are making some amazing HP levels with that platform..

Roger

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The LT1 can make more power than most could handle with their cars, and do it reliably and with good street manners when done right. Heads like AI can make big power, good cranks/rods/4 bolt mains on a SBC will support big power. There isn't a whole lot you CAN'T do with an LT1 and it will be easier and probably cheaper than going to LS

With that said, as mentioned earlier, the sky is the limit with LS stuff. If you want to build a 800+hp blower setup, an LSX or LQ9 block is going to be better up for handling that task than an LT1 block. If you want to make 550+hp all motor and still have good street manners, the awesome flow of a set of CNC'd L92 heads on a big cube LS stroker will get you there.

This is hot rodding, there is always more than one way to do something. LS seems to be the way to go to surpass the limits of the LT stuff (which a lot of guys are blind to the fact that the LT1's limits are actually pretty high) but at the same time, guys like Mike Harris do things that most wouldn't think was possible with an LT1.

It's really just a matter of figuring out what you want and do your research and price things out on both sides. The LT1 can make some big power, LS can make bigger power but probably more power than most peoples street machines can use. You could make 400whp with a heads/cam LT1 or you can make 400whp with a bolt ons LS2....obviously the LS2 will be more streetable but whether or not it's worth the difference in cost/work is up to you.

I am considering an LQ stroker motor right now actually, doing a lot of research but I am not so sure if I will go in that direction. My 396 with the D1SC and AI heads should make more power than i'd be able to use on a street car...so the LQ could make more, but what would I do with it? It will, without a doubt cost me more money. Even considering dropping the blower for a big cube, all motor LQ motor...the sale of the blower stuff would make up for the cost difference but which is cooler, blown LT1 or all motor LQ? these are the questions I ponder....

·
Registered
452 Posts
nice information here guys. I was wondering, aside from the basic tune up stuff in qualos handbook. If i purchased heads from LE for my pretty much bone stock impala, what other things need to be upgraded? i have an auburn posi with 373s waiting to be installed but are there other things that need to go along with when adding new heads?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts