Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will an ls t56 work behind an lt1? is it just as simple as changing bellhousings?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you sir for the speedy responce!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Lol, thanks Travis. BTW, picking up some 1 7/8 longtube headers when I got back home for a week :)

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
I for one would use the LS trans and figure out the clutch.
The extra length allows room for a push clutch and already has the internal hydraulic throw out.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have used an LS trans behind my LT1

To make an LS trans a "real" LT1 trans you would have to change
Input
Bell housing
Front end or "adapter"

If you do buy the LS trans and real want to change it over (personally, I would make it work) contact me as I will buy your LS parts.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I for one would use the LS trans and figure out the clutch.
The extra length allows room for a push clutch and already has the internal hydraulic throw out.
Hey Gerry C. !!

My setup uses a push pressure plate with an 'LT' T56 but I used that big honkin bell housing from Weir Hot Rod. Bob Weir includes the push style slave and a Tilton master in his 'kit'. His bell housing also has enough clearance so you can use a 14 inch flywheel, and as such a 12 inch pressure plate and clutch disc. My flywheel, PP, disc are all Mcleod BB Chevy pieces.

:)

Gerry M.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Hey Gerry C. !!

My setup uses a push pressure plate with an 'LT' T56 but I used that big honkin bell housing from Weir Hot Rod. Bob Weir includes the push style slave and a Tilton master in his 'kit'. His bell housing also has enough clearance so you can use a 14 inch flywheel, and as such a 12 inch pressure plate and clutch disc. My flywheel, PP, disc are all Mcleod BB Chevy pieces.

:)

Gerry M.
isn't this what Doug Woods set up is....?

still LT1 T56 behind it not LS

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
I believe Dougs is something else.

The two Weir housing-throw out "B" cars with LT1 T56 I am aware of are
Gerry M
Gerry C ( mine no longer as the LT-LS swap is underway)

The Weir housing is 5" which give room to sneak in a push clutch.

Back to the original question, with some creativity the LS trans can be fitted and I think be a better combo

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
isn't this what Doug Woods set up is....? still LT1 T56 behind it not LS
Sorry, did not intend to jack the thread.

Dougs setup is different, I believe he is still using the pull type PP, and the high end Mcleod slave and master if I'm not mistaken. Last time I checked... which as about a year ago. I'll ring him up and have him reply. I'm using a BBHP pedal but with a 1 1/16 Tilton master inside the BBHP pedal. Gerry C. and I are using the same housing. It is sweet, but massive!!

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
All LT1

McLeod Flywheel, Master Cylinder and their discontinued 'Over-the-Snout/Slip-On Slave". They offer another version of this slave and T/O bearing now.

SPEC Stage IV push-clutch assembly.

All the above going into the wagon once I get a 4.56 diff built up.

Wagon with a T56 is going to be a hoot; have missed the stick these past couple of years.

Also to put a certain Lifer of the Navy and his... ahem... FIVE-SPEED in their place.

"Is that thing running?" Sux when he asks me that now.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Used the SS/LT1 bell housing. Plenty of room for a push clutch and a slip on slave assembly with room to spare. I did trim off the bell housing 'bulge' for the slave cyclinder and t/o arm - only because it was hanging out in the wind and not needed. Couple minutes with a hack saw and a file - and no more slave bulge. I ran my slave pressure hose thru this opening, then notched the bellhousing at the engine block at about the 10 o'clock position to route the bleed hose up to the firewall next to the clutch reservoir. Makes for REAL EASY bleeding while standing over the fender vice being under the car. Bubbles can't resist moving UP.

Ain't done sqwat to the wagon Gerry except keep her roadworthy. She does wear SS rims and 255's - with a MoMo steering wheel. Couple FAT front and rear sway bars too.

Got my hands on another wagon diff, and have all the necessary parts to dump the chunk for all new Eaton and gears. Sometime over the coming winter months this diff will get 4.56'd. THEN.... give me a long weekend and I'll be banging gears by sun-up Monday AM.

Diff is the holdup. Can't do the swap until the diff is done. And can't do the diff until I get a few of the irons out of the fire as we go into 2011.

With the drivetrain done - Bob Borschers Beware! Already have one of the two needed surfboards on hand for the roof rack. Then some minor body work and lots of fresh paint!

I want to hear the magic word outta Bob once it's done and he sees it [parked right next to the finest looking wagon on the planet - his!] - and that word would be "SSWEET".

And NOTE - not one disparaging word about that cc pos valeo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts