Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any opinions on what could have caused this. I check my oil dipstick regularly (once every 3 fill ups) and it remained in the operating range. Just changed the oil (2nd oil change on synthetic) and less than a quart of oil came out. I'm located in Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley to be exact. I've had multiple shops take a look at it ranging from Moorpark to South Central and so far none of them have the LT1 know how necessary to tell me what's going on. If any local Los Angeles Impala Club members could point me towards a good shop it'd be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
6,537 Posts
OP

George Bates automotive is in San Fernando IIRC.

if you lost 4 qts before 1st change...that's a lot.

a leak down test to see wtf compression you have and if there is a cyl, or more, not good

Did you contact whoever re-built the motor about this oil consumption?

Curious what shop in Moorpark you went to

Going through that much oil in 5k mi...could be multiple reasons on a "rebuilt" engine

were rings set (and installed) properly?

IMHO I would have stayed with dino but doubt the oil type is the problem if you lost 4 qts of dino before switching to syn

· Banned
3,437 Posts
any opinions on what could have caused this. I check my oil dipstick regularly (once every 3 fill ups) and it remained in the operating range. Just changed the oil (2nd oil change on synthetic) and less than a quart of oil came out. I'm located in Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley to be exact. I've had multiple shops take a look at it ranging from Moorpark to South Central and so far none of them have the LT1 know how necessary to tell me what's going on. If any local Los Angeles Impala Club members could point me towards a good shop it'd be greatly appreciated.
hard to understand how this went down. from what I get is you used conventional oil after the motor work. checked oil every 3 fuel fill ups. oil always was in the proper range. then you continued to operate the vehicle for 5K miles on this new engine with the same oil ???

then when you drained the oil only 1 qt came out ? you have the correct dip stick ? spilled a lot of the oil ? sorry but it don't add up ..

on the 5K miles then changing the oil I do not agree that is good. every new engine I had the first 1000miles I would use about 1/2-3/4 of a qt. . Then I would change the oil @ 1000/1200 miles. then run until 2500 miles on this oil and change it . new filters every change. by the 3rd oil change 3000 miles on the oil the amount of oil used would drop to about 1/3 QT over the 3K miles of use. Then after 10K miles on vehicle I would switch over to the mobil synthetic .......

· Registered
6,537 Posts
hard to understand how this went down. .......
yeah jcat...from this side of the internet, if I understand the OP's post, draining oil after the 1st 5k mi on new motor (WAY to long) he only got 1 qt in the oil change which shows 4 qts went "somewhere".

rebuilt motors need oil changes like after running engine 20-30 min after initial start-up, change oil, drive 500 mi, change oil, 1500 mi, change oil, 3k mi and 3k mi thereafter change oil.

synthetics can extend oil change intervals to 5k mi....although I don't use them in the LT1.

If Op is losing that kind of oil..there is a issue within the engine

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first oil change I did myself after 3,000 miles where I switched to synthetic. The second oil change I did myself after 2,000 miles. The most recent oil change was done by our good friends at "Skimpy" Lube (jiffy lube). This weekend I had the Corvette Shop in Canoga Park take a look and run a compression test all was well so we went ahead and drain the "fresh" oil. They never drained the oil pan, only swapped filters and threw another 5 quarts in causing the motor to burn and froth up the oil. Its fine now. Any suggestions for a reliable shop would be greatly appreciated considering that my check engine light stays lit now and I cannot pass my emissions tests. Thanks a lot and sorry for the confusing post.

· Banned
3,437 Posts
The first oil change I did myself after 3,000 miles where I switched to synthetic. The second oil change I did myself after 2,000 miles. The most recent oil change was done by our good friends at "Skimpy" Lube (jiffy lube). This weekend I had the Corvette Shop in Canoga Park take a look and run a compression test all was well so we went ahead and drain the "fresh" oil. They never drained the oil pan, only swapped filters and threw another 5 quarts in causing the motor to burn and froth up the oil. Its fine now. Any suggestions for a reliable shop would be greatly appreciated considering that my check engine light stays lit now and I cannot pass my emissions tests. Thanks a lot and sorry for the confusing post.
now if your first post stated the last oil change was done by jiffy lube that is your answer as to where the oil went.

just last week family member 2014 charger had oil dripping. guess what loose oil filter ...jiffy lube did it..

he always checks the oil level before leaving when the oil is changed so at least that was not screwed up.. I recommend you all to check your oil level before driving off after a fluid servicing.

had friend years ago get screwed like your problem ..repair shop did oil change but forgot to fill. half way on road trip engine starts rapping .. no oil ..

· Registered
6,537 Posts
Beyond the criminal charges against MANY Jiffy Lube shops for services not performed and charged....the work when done is always highly suspect to being done wrong

IMHO "general service" like oil changes does not take a high skill set so should be done by owner. This service gives you the opportunity to check many other things at least visually under the car while doing the oil change. Other oil leaks or finding other lose/worn parts being just one benefit.

If your schedule or lack of skill to do your own oil service is the situation...at the very least look at the fluid level after the service BEFORE you drive the car away....then look for oil leaks, specifically from lose drain plug and or filter

If I understands Op's last post...Sadly in the Ops case the Jiffy tech didn't even check fluid after the service to see if it was full. Saying only 1qt came out then adding 5 without draining oil from pan initially....WOW, just a F up job by Jiffy on several levels

· Registered
1,668 Posts
NEVER let a Jiffy Lube change your oil. The was a Jiffy Lube down the street from my shop that did an oil change on a Porsche 911 and after draining the required 12 quarts of fluid they proceeded to pour only 4 quarts of fresh oil into the engine then let the customer drive away, well at least drive about 4 blocks away before losing a 12K engine that Jiffy Lube had to pay for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.