Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided here would be neat place to post this...
What I have is 1983 Jaguar xj6, that I recently put a 94 lt1 from a Pontiac firebird in.
Kits abound to put a abc in a jag so this was easier option than an LS swap
It was a lot easier than I anticipated. I modified the firebird harness using shoebox website.
Engine itself was dismantled and block, crank and heads sent out, during reassembly I decided to go with the lt4 hot cam , so heads went back to shop for better springs, got it all back together along with scorpion narrow body 1.6 roller rockers, so didn’t need to modify the valve covers.
I had to use corvette style ram horn exhaust manifolds to clear the steering column, and purchased premade down pipes so exhaust shop didn’t have any excuses on not being able to bend a tight curve. Exhaust is 2.25 front to back with H pipe and cherry bomb turbos, has a nice rumble but not obnoxious and no drone.
Ok now for some pics.....

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice, indeed. And, lucky you--the Jag evidently has much better access between the engine and firewall than our cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is a very special ride. I like it. Great job! May you enjoy your LT1 sedan for many years. 👍🏻 Thanks for the pictures, Dezrat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments guys, she’s a blast to drive! I think rear End will be next project, she’s already posi, but gears are a bit tall. 2:88. So she’s a bit slow off the line but once rpms hit about 3 grand you better hold on! Lol. The tune is from Moe Bailey

·
Super Moderator
5,877 Posts
T56 and 4.10 gears would be a hoot in that. There should be manual pedals available, did they come in stick?

·
Super Moderator
5,877 Posts
Makes sense. At the school shop, someone donated a late 70s Mercedes sedan. It was a German import, we are a capital city and get a lot of leftover embassy cars. It was a straight six, but a manual trans. I pulled the engine/trans, and made sure to keep the complete pedal assembly. Someone claimed the pedals quickly. Fast forward a few years... shop teacher just picked up a nice mid 80s 380SL. Should have kept the trans and the pedals, would have made for a nice swap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for posting this as I'm looking for just the right Jag at just the right price to swap my 95 LT1 into, this has been a dream project of mine for decades. I've been eyeing a Majestic Sedan in my area that's not getting any bites and just waiting for the price to drop some. May I ask which installation kit you used and what the final cost was? Also is the ac and cruise control working, did you have to swap the front springs, and have you overcome the stupid dual gas tank issue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my kit from suncoast, included the motor and trans mounts, the adapter to hook jag trans linkage directly to the. 4l60e, then purchased separately the down pipes, o2 sensor bungs, and adapters to use the jag sending units in the lt1 again from suncoast, cost was right around 700
Had to also purchase a driveshaft, that was 300 online. Other incidentals include new AC lines and new power steering lines, had them made at pirtex hydraulic shop. 300 for all. Yes AC and cruise work, but had to purchase a cruise module from a camaro, as the jag one refused to play nice with the vss!
Wiring the cruise was actually harder than the wiring of everything else, as all jaguar cruise wiring is based on breaking and making grounds, whereas the gym module needs hots!
I my dual tank system works fine, I had replaced the valves a couple of years back when left tank would overflow while running on right tank!
When. You buy the car, check for rust at top of rear wheel arches and around front and rear glass ( if 79 -87). It’s a massive issue and it’s never surface rust!
I got lucky previous owner of mine kept in garage, so it hadn’t rusted anywhere, if you look back up at photos you will see the floor pans in exhaust shot, O ok sky issue I had was up under passenger seat, I hit something and it poked a hole!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to answer about front springs.... haven’t done anything there yet, but new jag springs are hit and miss even with stock engine, most are using spacers in the spring pan, 1/2 inch spacer is supposed to put ride height back to stock, I have the spacers, but it’s just too hot in garage right now, besides I’m enjoying driving it right now and doesn’t look too nose high unless you are looking for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info Darren. Living in the northeast we're well aware of how Jaguars rot out. It's sad to see some of these beautiful cars reduced to dust but it is a common occurrence here. I have the matching cruise unit from the engine so it looks like I'll be using it. It seems cost wise Suncoast is more reasonable than Jaguar Specialities I'm going to have to check their website. The actual car I'm interested in is an 89 so the rust issue still exists but not as severely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It looks like that site supports the older stuff. Jags only up to 86 and Chevys only up to TBI, TPI and 700R4. They're cut off just before our technology of an LT1 and 4L60E. Granted the mounting should work for any 58 and up small block and 700R4 mounting should be the same as a 4L60E but they will leave us scrambling to makeup for the electronics ect. The prices seem reasonable though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also when I looked up that site, they pretty much only had the mounts, you had to get everything else yourself.
I started by just buying the conversion manual from suncoast, then when you buy the kit they subtract the cost of manuals. I will look when I get home, but if I’m not mistaken. Even the suncoast tpi manual wasn’t much help, like I said earlier, most of my electrical harness stuff I found on shoeboxes website, also be aware that you will need the s57 jag wiring diagrams, certain circuit are hot when ignition on , but not while cranking, I chased a no start for weeks before I got smart enough to hookup the scan9495 and saw that voltage to pcm was zero while cranking!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, that's a nitpick allright. I thought I typed 58 but thank goodness the internet police are there as always. I can sleep better tonight knowing my post is corrected. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, never mind on the s57, an 89 is an jx40, unless it’s the xj12 then it would still be a series 3 87 was last year of the curvy lines went more boxy and all electronic in 88

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah the Majestic is a 4.0 6 cyl XJ40, it was the highest level interior option package on top of a Vanden Plas package and was a one of 527 built in 89 and 90. Even with its rareaty nobody seems interested in the car. The price has been dropped $1k every 6 months or so. It will be at the price I want to pay fairly soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts