Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across information on this site comparing the LT4 to the LT1. I'm guessing the LT1 they are using as a reference is the F/Y-Car motor.

The part that caught my interest is: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>-Head Gasket
* The LT4 also features new composite head gaskets necessitated by higher compression ratio. Rather than the "impregnated surface" of the LT1's gaskets, the LT4's are "graphoil" with stainless steel fire rings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ran the part numbers listed and the AL LT1 head gaskets are the same price as the LT4 pieces.

I'm assuming the compressed thickness is the same for both gaskets. So for the same price, is there any real gain with the LT4 parts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brick B-Body:
.....So for the same price, is there any real gain with the LT4 parts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doubt it :rolleyes: .....

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what the dimensions are, but I beleive that the LT4 gasket has a greater compressed thickness than the LT1 gasket. If I'm correct, you'd get slightly more compression using the LT1 gasket on a given setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are most of the choices:

0.026" Mr Gasket P/N 5716
0.029" Impala SS P/N 12553160
0.039" Fel-Pro P/N FEL-1074
0.046" Mr Gasket P/N 5715
0.049" LT4 P/N 10168457

The LT4 gasket will lower your CR and increase your quench height.
Here is a CR calculator: http://www.rosspistons.com/ Click on "Calculator"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the lt1 iron head gasket is thinner when compressed than a lt1/4 alum. head gasket.

i use the iron head gaskets on my lt4 heads w/o problem though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.