Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 SS with a stock LT1. The only modifications are a K&N intake, throttle body bypass mod and a Flowmaster exhaust. The car has 125K miles on it. The opti spark, plugs and fuel filter have all been replaced within the last 10K miles. Under WOT the car has a popping noise coming from the engine. Under all other driving conditions the car runs great, no idling problems and acceleration is good unless I have the pedal on the floor. All vaccum lines appear to be OK.

Any thoughts on what the root cause could be?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have a 95 SS with a stock LT1. The only modifications are a K&N intake, throttle body bypass mod and a Flowmaster exhaust. The car has 125K miles on it. The opti spark, plugs and fuel filter have all been replaced within the last 10K miles. Under WOT the car has a popping noise coming from the engine. Under all other driving conditions the car runs great, no idling problems and acceleration is good unless I have the pedal on the floor. All vaccum lines appear to be OK.

Any thoughts on what the root cause could be?
Bad Coil Wire
Good idea to have a fresh Opti Harness installed

D

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Have you had a similar experience?
I have on 2 B bodies, and both times the coil wire corrected the matter. Time for a new set of wires all the way around.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
So under WOT within 3-5 secs after I have the pedal to the floor I hear a pop, pop, pop, pop pop, pop quite loud from under the hood.

Yep, that's the symptom. It's coming from the intake.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
So under WOT within 3-5 secs after I have the pedal to the floor I hear a pop, pop, pop, pop pop, pop quite loud from under the hood.
in the exghst? or just under the hood?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
What RPM's are you turning when it pop's....if your anywhere around 6k it could be the rev limiter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have come across this before and i got $100 bucks bet on the solution . a friend of mine with a 94 9c1 had a shop put msd wire on his car and after under hard accel it would pop but only under hard accel so i went with him to the shop and talked to the mechanic who did the tune up and asked why he bunched the wire togetter instead of using the looms and he said there msd you can put them anywhere and they should be good so i bet that if the you undo the zap straps the the poping would go away so the mechanic got mad at me and called me all kinds of names and i said to him what could it hurt so he undid the zap straps and what do you know it stopped poping so long story short check your leads make sure there not touching each other

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I just replaced all of the plug wires and the coil wire and it is still popping under the hood at WOT. I would guesstimate the rpm's to be at least 6000.
If you're guesstimate is correct, that isn't a defect, it's a feature called the Rev Limiter.cwm6

Stop doing that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Popping at WOT

Then how come I never heard this noise before? My foot is heavy and I am always on the pedal. I have owned this car for 11 yrs. and just recently started hearing this popping sound...

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
If you're guesstimate is correct, that isn't a defect, it's a feature called the Rev Limiter.cwm6

Stop doing that.
funny as **** but i though the rev was 6.5k

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.