Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the car from a friend I used to work with. It has about 98000 on it, and the 305 is done for. I got the engine from KDB50SS on the forum. He even brought it up to my mom's house in Winterset Iowa for me.

I know there is a few guys wondering about swaps, and HuSSker did a good swap too, but will post up progress on this one too to try and help out. HuSSker said his swap was lost in the crash.

If you have any questions, ask away. If you want any pictures of something, let me know.

Starting out.

Got most of it all stripped off and ready to pull.

305 out.

Most of the engine compartment is nasty. I'm planning on cleaning it up and repainting.

Got the engine set in to check the fit.

HuSSker said that he needed to add notch the frame by the passenger side motormount for the A/C compressor........on this 85, it had PLENTY of room. I put the lines on the back too, and they worked perfectly. It's just a drop in swap.

That's how it sits right now. The 700R4 that was in it only has about 200 miles on it, so I think I'm going to keep it in there for now.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I am going to try a step by step. I'm usually gone all week though, with a day or so home at a time. I will try to keep a quick pace on what I do get done.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow along, and you'll know. Its just wiring.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really. Especially if you don't take out un-needed wires.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of work today. I LOVE wiring. Started off by taking out the ABS wiring.

Trace the wires from the plug through the harness.

Here the ground goes to a common ground. There are a few common grounds and powers throughout the harness.

Most of the wires went to the other side of the harness to the body connector.

Cut out the wires, and that was it. On the ground.

Next was the AIR pump.

Here's the plug

Again, just follow the wires. Ground...............

Tracing wires from the fuse box.

Use your plug pinouts, and you see that one comes out of the ECM plug. Snip.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More plugs to remove. If you don't know what the plug is for, just follow the wires to where it goes. This will tell you what it's for.

I didn't know what this plug was for, but just tracing the wires told me that it was the wiper wires.

Here is the back of the body connector. Many wires went to this connector. You can also use the pinout diagrams to tell you what to remove too.

And last but not least was the stinkin goop in the dang through body whatever it was. I had to cut and pry, and whatever I could to get the wires out.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do. I removed the stock 85 ECU and related wiring too. I had to drop the inner wheelwell to remove the plug. Pulled the engine again, and cleaned up the frame.

I leave to go to New Albany, MS tomorrow, and will probably be back Friday or Saturday for more updates. I'm gonna try to paint some of the frame black.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
HuSSker said that he needed to add notch the frame by the passenger side motormount for the A/C compressor........on this 85, it had PLENTY of room. I put the lines on the back too, and they worked perfectly. It's just a drop in swap.

You don't have the motor mount in the right place. That is why you "have room" on the frame.

As a result, your engine is sitting crooked in the engine compartment. See below:
Got the engine set in to check the fit.
Once you try to bolt up the transmission, you'll notice it much more, assuming you can even get the motor mount bolts in at that angle.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the motor mounts are crooked, they've been that way since new. I noticed it sat a little wierd, but the bolts were in, but I didn't have the transmission bolted up to it.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
If the motor mounts are crooked, they've been that way since new. I noticed it sat a little wierd, but the bolts were in, but I didn't have the transmission bolted up to it.

The motor mounts are straight.... For a 1st gen small block.

LT1's with A/C have the mounting location 1/2 the width of the mount back on the passenger side, which makes moving the frame mount, and notching the frame necesary.

You may want to study up on this swap more before you get too much further along. I think you'd agree that you would have been pissed if you had gotten this about wrapped up, and found theat you had to pull the engine, and undo a bunch of your work.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Must be a B body LT1 thing then. The 79 had an LT1 in it before the LS1, and I didn't change anything. It wasn't crooked either.

Thanks HuSSker....guess I need to take a look.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Must be a B body LT1 thing then. The 79 had an LT1 in it before the LS1, and I didn't change anything. It wasn't crooked either.
Yes, you're right. The B/F bodies have the mount moved back, I'm pretty sure Corvettes don't. If you delete the AC, you can put the old engine's mount on the passenger side of the LT1, and then it will sit straight.

EDIT: Here's a pic that illustrates the motor mount bolting options.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hussker is right

Your motor is crooked, i know, been there with the Gn. The way i solved the problem, i got another clam shell mount from the drivers side, removed the ac support bracket and bolted the clam shell on, motor dropped in just like it should, ac compressor still fits.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts