Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up an Lt4 intake In future I would like to do the full Lt4 Heads ,cam, intake swap. What is a Lt4 intake worth so I dont Over pay? I can not use intake untill I do the head swap I think is this right? Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, let's just say you are unable to bolt the LT4 intake up to LT1 heads, using oem thickness gaskets, unless material is removed from the intake itself, in the area above the port, at the mtg. flange, or clearance is machined on the intake mtg. surface of the head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get the intake new from GM for around 195-200...so don't pay that for it...if it's in perfect shape though it is worth a bit more than an LT1 manifold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not better just meant for use with LT4 heads. The ports are higher, so an LT4 intake on Lt1 heads both being stock should partially block the ports causeing a real restriction. There really is no better intake for the LT1 Lingenfelter and Edlebrock both tried and didn't come up with anything that made enough of a difference to bother with production. A few guys have custom modified intakes that increase plenuim volume and that can help, but is a big project.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't mention if the intake has the LT4 fuel rails and injectors. The LT4 injectors are pricey pieces.

Jose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
The ports are higher, so an LT4 intake on Lt1 heads both being stock should partially block the ports causing a real restriction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dwayne, with due respect, that really is NOT an accurate assesment of the LT4 intake. The port size and height of the LT4 is, (within a 1/32") virtually identical. In fact, the earlier LT1 intake has (overall) LARGER ports. The LT4 has extra as cast material, ALLOWING the port to be raised, but is NOT raised as cast. Also, the ports, aside from the extra as cast material externally, above the port, will internally, line up acceptably with LT1 heads. (on an ealier LT1 oem setup, actually better than the oem intake) However, because of the extra as cast material, the LT4 intake cannot be bolted up to LT1 heads without experiencing interference on the intake mtg. flange of the head.

Dwayne, I realize you are tapping into the mainstream info that has been readily available, however this info is very inaccurate. I have posted here in the past, replying to various threads, attempting to set the record straight. For the most part, my info is ignored. :shrug: The inaccuracies have become so deeply entrenched, that it is difficult to get people to put aside what they believe to be true, and accept something that goes against the grain. The LT4 intake is a very misunderstood piece. I own such an intake. I have accurately checked, compared, measured, and layed out said part. What I present is not repeated hearsay, it is fact based on first person contact with said piece. I'm challenging those with hands on experience to dispute what I have stated here. As for others, well, I am still allowing them to believe what they want. :shrug:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read countless times that the ports will not line up due to the LT4s being higher, but have never read that it would not bolt up. I will take your work for it though since I do not have an LT4 piece to go look at and you do. Either way it is not an upgrade for an LT1.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dwayne.

Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
I have read countless times that the ports will not line up due to the LT4s being higher,....
I believe you have, cuz I have read that also. That is why I am as understanding as I am here. The problem is, THAT info apparently is based on something theoretical. It also, originated, very likely, from one of just a few relevant sites. Info gets read, and taken at face value, not considering it may be less than factual, or 100% accurate.
http://home.tir.com/~steveher/lt4.html gives cutaway views of the ports, and comparos to LT1 head ports. Although it has been very helpful, it is not what one sees in real life. The site ironically has gone down, (or changed addreses). I referenced the site several times in the past.

...but have never read that it would not bolt up.

How ironic. With the additional as cast material, it is a given it will (or at least could) interfere physically preventing assembly with LT1 heads.

I will take your word for it though....

Consider yourself in the minority.

Either way it is not an upgrade for an LT1

As cast, no. With some mods/work, it can be, but not cost effective.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it worth modifying? Hmmm. The one advantage of the LT4 intake, is the extra as cast material above the roof of the port, AT THE FLANGE. I stress that phrase, cuz there is not enuf additional material further up the port to alter the full length of the port without adding additional material. So, as far as changes to accommodate a raised head intake port, I do not consider utilizing the extra as cast material above the port, in the LT4 intake, as a worthwhile raised port mod. To me, it defys (from my perspective) logic in shaping an effective port.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by ReeseSS:
Some info for you to look over www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/LT4.htm
www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/lt1lt4.html
And your point being? Remember, these pix and info are not anything new, as in, I've seen it B4, and in different locations on the web. Don't understand your point, IF you've read my post(s) thoroughly.

I could have added the following in a previous post. Either you believe me, or you can believe the site you referenced. I know as well as you do, we (the site and me) can NOT be both correct.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots to think about. Thanks. But in the future if i was going to build a 383 or a hopped up 350. I see the LT4 package is a good Idea. But thats alot of cash 2400.00 I think. So I will pick up the intake and save till I get the heads and cam to go with it. Thanks for all the info I am open to other Ideas if any one want to put in teir .02 Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gary, relax man, no point, just sharing info on differences between the LT1 and LT4 for general information. My post followed yours, but was not addressed to you! There are a lot of new people on this board that don't have this information!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm relaxed, no problem. Having followed my post, I apparently incorrectly calculated the 'you' in your post, to be addressed to me. :shrug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.