Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I do not see what is to be gained by general observation and discussion. The "Vette" starter made by Denso was a good product. A gear reduction starter made by company "X" may be better or worse than the stock LT1 starter. A good new or rebuilt LT1 starter may be better or more reliable than another "Vette" starter that may not be a Denso.but will start a "Vette".

The Denso was a quality part that used less electrical power and delivered more crank power. If you do not get a Denso you need proof it has the same qualities. As the "Vette" was low production there are fewer and fewer real Denso on the market and more knock-offs.

The Denso starter and alternator on my 92 dodge truck are OEM and work after a life in the federal park service. They wore out the driver's door hinges. I have replaced the solenoid contacts (under $10 CD) due to it's high use. I doubt a knock-off could handle the high use for long.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Always liked the Denso solenoid contact set up .

"Sounds like a Vette " or a Toyota, or a Caravan :)

I had a GM bought Corvette Starter with the LT1, not an option with the LS7 and its headers.
( used an over priced MSD Hitachi style. )

Attachments

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
True, but make sure to clarify that the stock LT1 starter IS a gear reduction starter.
...cough...the stock starter is a planetary gear reduction starter....NOT a offset gear reduction like the vette or aftermarket "mini" offset gear reduction starters.

they both function and normally last a long time but "offset" gear reduction starters offer more TQ & speed (rpm) to the flywheel and are superior in function in those terms and better for motors making higher than stock compression

now regarding rebuild vs buy....if there is a qualified service near you and the cost savings validates do a rebuild vs buying new fine. IMHO a "new" offset gear reduction starter is the way to go. I would avoid anything "remanufactured" from the chain auto part stores

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey everybody,

My 15 year old LT1 style starter recently took a dump on my way home from a track day at Barber Motorsports Park.

I've always had it in the back of my mind that I'd upgrade to an LT4 style starter when this one took a dump, and curious what the best options are for brands/suppliers? Most of the old LT4 starter threads I found on here are pretty dated. I understand I may need to free up a little extra positive battery cable length to reach the shorter starter, and may need longer bolts as well?

Looks like reman'd Corvette starters are around $130 from Autozone, so I poked around a bit on Jegs and found this guy:

Anybody use anything like that? Listed for fitting '94 LTx Vette. A new unit at that pricing is attractive for sure.
I found a Powermaster mini starter on ebay for under 200 bucks with free shipping. This starter is smaller that an LT4 starter and spins the engine over very fast for over 2 years of service so far. No problems with battery cable length and more room for headers. Summit sells this starter too. I would recommend a heat shield for any starter, especially with headers.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I found a Powermaster mini starter on ebay for under 200 bucks with free shipping. This starter is smaller that an LT4 starter and spins the engine over very fast for over 2 years of service so far. No problems with battery cable length and more room for headers. Summit sells this starter too. I would recommend a heat shield for any starter, especially with headers.
Any chance you have a part number or a link? I did end up ordering a new Remy branded starter last week, but always curious to see what other options are out there - especially smaller and lighter ones.

I'm glad you mentioned the heat shield for the starter, definitely something I should sort out, as the headers original ceramic coating is long gone nowdays and they're just VHT rattlecan black.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts