Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

LT4 style starter options/considerations in 2021?

7K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  Caddylack 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,

My 15 year old LT1 style starter recently took a dump on my way home from a track day at Barber Motorsports Park.

I've always had it in the back of my mind that I'd upgrade to an LT4 style starter when this one took a dump, and curious what the best options are for brands/suppliers? Most of the old LT4 starter threads I found on here are pretty dated. I understand I may need to free up a little extra positive battery cable length to reach the shorter starter, and may need longer bolts as well?

Looks like reman'd Corvette starters are around $130 from Autozone, so I poked around a bit on Jegs and found this guy:

Anybody use anything like that? Listed for fitting '94 LTx Vette. A new unit at that pricing is attractive for sure.

#6 ·
I guess that's certainly an option if your guy has had good luck with them.
Prefer new personally. Not huge difference in prices.1996 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 5.7L V8 Starter Motor | RockAuto
Tom, which one would be your pick of the new units?
Autozone came with a lifetime warranty when I bought my Vette starter from them, plus they are nation wide. I've bought 2 from them and replaced 1 under warranty after about 6 years of daily use under an engine that didn't really hold oil toward the end.

Edit: Flipping the power cable hold down at the cross member frees up the needed slack on stock wires although it's still tight. Upgrading the battery wires with new like the ones from Innovative Wiring (Gary) they come with a little extra length just for this purpose.

-Brian
Yeah I read a few old threads with folks going the Autozone route for the lifetime nationwide warranty, but I was surprised to see it's one of most expensive options I've seen, ballpark of $130 for a reman, and like $180 for new. I'm not super duper worried about starter failure, as I can bump start the car in a pinch (T56) , but $180 isn't awful for a lifetime warranty either, especially since uhhhh, my motor may be leaking a decent amount of oil as well :oops:

Thanks for the tip on the wires. I don't think I'll be replacing them with Gary's unless I find they're damaged in some way, or the cable is too tight for my peace of mind.

#4 · (Edited)
Autozone came with a lifetime warranty when I bought my Vette starter from them, plus they are nation wide. I've bought 2 from them and replaced 1 under warranty after about 6 years of daily use under an engine that didn't really hold oil toward the end.

Edit: Flipping the power cable hold down at the cross member frees up the needed slack on stock wires although it's still tight. Upgrading the battery wires with new like the ones from Innovative Wiring (Gary) they come with a little extra length just for this purpose.

-Brian

#7 ·
One other thought - starters are dog simple. It sounds like your solenoid was sticking. My local rebuilder says that failures like this are often caused by motor oil leaks gumming up the works. If you're adventurous, just take the starter apart and clean everything real good, put just a little grease where needed, and reassemble it, and it might work fine.

#15 ·
This likely isn't untrue for my starter, haha. I'll definitely give cleaning it out a shot, and keep for a spare, but I'd like to get something smaller and lighter on there anyway, because racecar.
Fortunately you will always be able to "bump start" so there's no point in carrying a spare ,or even worrying about it. I've had one (factory starter) re-built by a local rebuilder that was perfectly fine when I decided to replace w/LT4 starter for the gobs of additional space for access ,and/or air circulation at the very least.
To some degree I'd agree IF I have an inkling that my starter may be acting up and I have the opportunity to park strategically. The car is too heavy/brake pads too warped after a track day to get up to bump start speed by myself on flat pavement.

I do think I'll opt for the Remy branded new unit to start.

Thanks for all the input guys!

#8 ·
Grew weary of AutoZone ,and their "Lifetime " garbage that needed replaced over ,and over again. Don't care if it is free. My time isn't free.The LT4 starter is much smaller ,giving much better access to plugs ,wires ,etc... Not sure which I went with, Guessing the Remy (new). Compared to re-man AZ? Not even a close call...

#9 ·
Fortunately you will always be able to "bump start" so there's no point in carrying a spare ,or even worrying about it. I've had one (factory starter) re-built by a local rebuilder that was perfectly fine when I decided to replace w/LT4 starter for the gobs of additional space for access ,and/or air circulation at the very least.

#10 ·
I picked up the Pure Energy new 6470SN starter for 96 5.7 caprice from rockauto for the 91 a few years back. Nice solid unit. Once the car is warmed up, starting is like half a revolution like the 95. Never did that with the old starter.

Just looked, is like 67 bucks

#11 ·
At the time I put the first one in my Impala it was my only car and I was a college student. The warranty was more critical back then.

-Brian

#12 ·
Back several years ago when autozone was the place to get the "Vette" starter they were new and made by Denso. What I have had since then

I just bought a Remy from RA (gear reduction) for my 67 Camaro as the new motor has higher compression than the 327 did and the stock starter was sloooow

This is a X refrence chart for part # for the gear reduction type

Attachments

#13 ·
Had no idea there were so many different ones for small block Chevrolet.

#16 ·
The Remy starter, GR, I just bought included new mounting bolts that were knurled. Bolt heads are metric though

IIRC the Denso one I bought several years ago did not include new bolts and I just re-used my stock ones on the SS

Both starters were plug & play. I did not experience and wire length issues

While booth my SBC are 29 years apart (67 & 96)...it appears they can use the same starter....although the block in my 67 Camaro is a 85 or newer GM 350 truck block that is a native 4 bolt main with forged GM crank. Its a Blueprint Engines 355

#17 ·
Personally if you have access to a local rebuilder, I'd go that route. I've been fortunate to find mom and pop rebuilders locally that do a great job, for cheaper than the cost of anywhere else. I only ever had one problem, with a solenoid stuck on, and he fixed it the same day. Never had another problem with any of my alternators or starters. In fact, the GM CS144 alternator's biggest weakness is the front and rear bearings; a local rebuilder can replace those in 30 minutes or less. BTW do NOT use chynesium bearings here, you'll be sorry.

#18 ·
Unfortunately for me what were great rebuild shops are long gone. With that said the cost difference of those shops vs buying a new starter, especially from discount places like rock auto, that price difference is not much if at all.

However a stock starter will never have the cranking power of a gear reduction type starter. Motors making more than stock compression really benefit from a GR type starters

#23 ·
True, but make sure to clarify that the stock LT1 starter IS a gear reduction starter.
...cough...the stock starter is a planetary gear reduction starter....NOT a offset gear reduction like the vette or aftermarket "mini" offset gear reduction starters.

they both function and normally last a long time but "offset" gear reduction starters offer more TQ & speed (rpm) to the flywheel and are superior in function in those terms and better for motors making higher than stock compression

now regarding rebuild vs buy....if there is a qualified service near you and the cost savings validates do a rebuild vs buying new fine. IMHO a "new" offset gear reduction starter is the way to go. I would avoid anything "remanufactured" from the chain auto part stores

#21 ·
I do not see what is to be gained by general observation and discussion. The "Vette" starter made by Denso was a good product. A gear reduction starter made by company "X" may be better or worse than the stock LT1 starter. A good new or rebuilt LT1 starter may be better or more reliable than another "Vette" starter that may not be a Denso.but will start a "Vette".

The Denso was a quality part that used less electrical power and delivered more crank power. If you do not get a Denso you need proof it has the same qualities. As the "Vette" was low production there are fewer and fewer real Denso on the market and more knock-offs.

The Denso starter and alternator on my 92 dodge truck are OEM and work after a life in the federal park service. They wore out the driver's door hinges. I have replaced the solenoid contacts (under $10 CD) due to it's high use. I doubt a knock-off could handle the high use for long.

#24 ·
Hey everybody,

My 15 year old LT1 style starter recently took a dump on my way home from a track day at Barber Motorsports Park.

I've always had it in the back of my mind that I'd upgrade to an LT4 style starter when this one took a dump, and curious what the best options are for brands/suppliers? Most of the old LT4 starter threads I found on here are pretty dated. I understand I may need to free up a little extra positive battery cable length to reach the shorter starter, and may need longer bolts as well?

Looks like reman'd Corvette starters are around $130 from Autozone, so I poked around a bit on Jegs and found this guy:

Anybody use anything like that? Listed for fitting '94 LTx Vette. A new unit at that pricing is attractive for sure.
I found a Powermaster mini starter on ebay for under 200 bucks with free shipping. This starter is smaller that an LT4 starter and spins the engine over very fast for over 2 years of service so far. No problems with battery cable length and more room for headers. Summit sells this starter too. I would recommend a heat shield for any starter, especially with headers.

#25 ·
Any chance you have a part number or a link? I did end up ordering a new Remy branded starter last week, but always curious to see what other options are out there - especially smaller and lighter ones.

I'm glad you mentioned the heat shield for the starter, definitely something I should sort out, as the headers original ceramic coating is long gone nowdays and they're just VHT rattlecan black.

#26 ·
Interesting (frustrating) development over here - finally got around to swapping that REMY starter aaaaaand it doesn’t fit. It’s exactly opposite the current starter......
Do the ‘96 Vettes this starter is listed for fitting have the starter in a different location than our LT1? Or is this the wrong starter in the box? See pictures for reference:

#28 ·
So the starter in this box is wrong for any Gen2 LTx application, correct? The main part number on the box seems to correspond to both '95 and '96 Corvettes - 99719 -

BUT

I did also notice there is a sticker on the starter that also says " REBOX " followed by some other numbers....

Before I call RockAuto and try and get something that fits, I just want to check with you guys to see if maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks!

#30 ·
Yeah they sent the wrong part in the correct box that first time. Kind of a pain having to email photos and so many details, but they made right and sent me the correct starter. Actually just finished installing it last night. First time driving it today since it crapped out on the way home from Barber in January.

#31 ·
I'm late to this, but I have a 1996 Corvette LT4 in my car and I am running the Ultima R612671A geared starter made by Nippondenso and sold by O'Reilly Auto. After 8 years it died and O'Reilly replaced it for free. FWIW I buy most of my items from RockAuto but if it's brake pads, or rotors or certain wear items, I spend a little extra (unless it's a LOT extra) and buy it from O'Reilly Auto and utilize their extended warranty. I believe that AutoZone has dropped the lifetime warranty on most of their products.

#33 ·
Reminds me of old-school Chrysler V8's....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.