Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going this route and looking to be a bit creative. I haven't seen too many of these setups in person and have been searching online for some time now. I would like to see more B-Body setups as most that I've seen were F-Body.

If there are other options for Fuel Rail covers please share those as well. I might be looking to fabricate my own and sell the DCM vette covers I have now.

Thanks in advance!

hil was here...

UPDATE: Info I've Acquired

LTCC Website: http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
Quoted from site -

"This is the LTCC (LT1-to-LS1 coil conversion) designed and manufactured by Bob Bailey of Bailey Engineering, the same outfit that designed and produced the popular Scanmaster MAF translator and Translator plus for Turbo Buicks and LT1s

Benefits of the system are: extended opti life much stronger ignition at high RPM/boost built in adjustable rev limiter / two-step built in adjustable N2O / boost retard. It's just plain cool.

The price is $399 for the box and harness. It still uses the optical module in the Optispark, but no high voltage is passed through it, removing the source of damaging ozone that eventually leads to Optispark failure.

This is not totally a bolt-on deal but will require some individual creativity on mounting the coils (making a bracket to hold the coils, etc) and getting the plug wires from the coils to the plugs, see the pictures below. The harness is plug and play, no splicing required. It uses 8 LS1 coil packs which you would also have to purchase along with some other parts."

P.S. - You also eliminate the use of the ICM as the harness plugs in there original ICM harness.

PARTS REQUIRED:

8-#12558948 coil [other coils acceptable: 12573910; 12558693] PICTURES FOUND ON PAGE 2
Stock coil pack harness (the new LTCC harness design plugs into harness; 1 plug per side)
Taylor Spiro-pro cut to fit wires or equivalent (NOT ultra-low resistance type).
1-LTCC Module/Harness
Coil mounting provisions

BRACKETS:

There are several bracket options, of which many have improvised by creating their own.
If you are interested in the MBA styled Billet Fuel Rail with coil pack bracket design please contact Robert aka Bob at [email protected].

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
tuck a saurus!

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmmm...Very interesting! Never thought about that route. Does it block the fans from cooling the block? Any interference issues? Any more pics or info on what gauge sheet metal that is?

Was thinking of maybe going 16 gauge...and making my own interpretation of this:

Unless BK wants to sell me his...hint hint...wink wink.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
the goal was to get the coils on the car in a manner that was easy to remove for service
yet did not need to be removed for most tasks despite their ease of removal

Fans work great still.
Wont matter much with my new big boy FSR radiator.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the goal was to get the coils on the car in a manner that was easy to remove for service
yet did not need to be removed for most tasks despite their ease of removal

Fans work great still.
Wont matter much with my new big boy FSR radiator.
I can dig it!

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess not many have gone this route. Well...I'll stick with the F-Body representation I've seen and the few pics floating around out there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Going this route and looking to be a bit creative. I haven't seen too many of these setups in person and have been searching online for some time now. I would like to see more B-Body setups as most that I've seen were F-Body.

If there are other options for Fuel Rail covers please share those as well. I might be looking to fabricate my own and sell the DCM vette covers I have now.

Thanks in advance!

hil was here...
Here's the set up i'm Aiming for...

Phils Car

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,206 Posts
Unless BK wants to sell me his...hint hint...wink wink.
If I can find that POS you can HAVE it! I haven't thought about that thing since about 2001! I have no clue where it is or if I still have it.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
tuck a saurus!

Hil,

One of the guys in our club has a setup sort of like this, I will find a pic and post it.

Here's the set up i'm Aiming for...

Phils Car
Luis (from San Diego) has his coils in this location too. Again, I will find a pic and post it for you.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all the responses!!!

BK, I appreicate you even thinking of locating such an item. You are the one who kind of sold me by swearing by the throttle response and the thought that I would be relying on only the spark from the opti. (Seeing as how my opti crapped on me spark wise)

Bad Imp, I appreciate you searching for the pics.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Mine are just on top of the valve covers. I did not want long spark plug wires. I just put studs in place of the middle (2) valve cover bolts and use nuts. Comes on and off quick.
It has worked for me so far.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine are just on top of the valve covers. I did not want long spark plug wires. I just put studs in place of the middle (2) valve cover bolts and use nuts. Comes on and off quick.
It has worked for me so far.
PICS PLEASE!!!! I'm in talks with a CNC shop now but wanted to see what was out there.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
I think Noel has a setup with the coils mounted on/around the radiator shroud. I could be thinking of something else, though.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Here is my set-up.. I went with the brackets sold by the guys at EFIconnection for $550 they included 8 new LS2 coils, the bracket and the coil harnesses - pretty much everything you need other than the plug wires to make the LTCC system work. I did have to flip the rear passenger coil upside-down to clear the wiper motor. But other than that no issues.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting, I talked to Bob Bailey and he mentioned that the LS2 coil packs wouldn't work. I have a set of LS2 Truck coil packs (D585 with heat sinks) with longer dwell and he said that they would not work so I went with some LS1 Truck Coil packs. LSX guys are claiming to get about 9hp with the D585 packs so I thought they would help...now I'm just selling them.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts