Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I recently bought a 96 roady with only 20k miles. It's a garaged Florida car and I'd like to leave the motor stock on this one, lol.

The problem is, the opti is misfiring a bit in the high-voltage section, and I have a spare LTCC here.

Has anyone attempted an LTCC with the stock manifolds? The coil wires cannot simply drop down between the header primaries. And mocking it up, the plug wires going up and over the manifold looks like melt-city.

I'm thinking I may have to mount the coils with the towers facing onboard, toward the intake manifold, and then run the wires down the front of the engine, which is going to be an awfully long route!

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Opticals are good to go on my o-scope. But I have a new delphi opti on standby, just in case.

The main problem is finding a clean method of routing the wires around the stock manifolds. I'm not even sure anyone's tried it, LOL.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Then why don't you install that Delphi unit?

There is nothing to gain with the LTCC for that application... why would you want to make some brackets for the coils and re-wire the ignition for absolutely no gain?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally feel there's as much gain in a stock application as a modified one. There is the noticeable improvement in throttle response and idle quality over a stock opti, but the biggest improvement is durability/reliability, particularly since I commute about 160mi daily.

I've killed 7 or 8 optis, but only one from optical sensor failure, which may not have occured had an LTCC been on that car.

The OEMs clearly feel there is a benefit to solid-state multi-coil ignitions, even in stock applications.

The LTCC was a nice improvement on my 845-cam car, but it didn't run any faster. Plus it's just sitting here, lol. I already have a set of cut to fit taylors as well.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
If you mount the coils near/under the cowl, you can route the wires from behind the engine, along the side of the block. It will require a universal set to be custom made.

When I installed my LTCC, I mounted the coils on the rad fan bracket and ran the wires forward.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That layout would deff shorten the wire-runs, are the pass-side wires routed under the belt tensioner?

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
That layout would deff shorten the wire-runs, are the pass-side wires routed under the belt tensioner?
I don't have the car anymore but I believe so.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah that could work, and it's a lot simpler than what I was considering.

Another possibility would be an adaptation of your front-layout, with a bracket that mounts flush with the waterpump plate, sharing its bolts, and suspending 4 coils on each side of the waterpump. The coils would have their towers pointing down, so the wire routing should be similar to the stock opti's.

I'm gonna have to regroup on this. I was hoping someone had attempted an LTCC with the stock manifolds, but it looks like I'm in unknown waters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.