Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so one of my projects on my SS coming up is to put in some 91-92 Caprice taillights (modified a little) with some Eurolite LED lamps and Blink-blinks.

At any rate, I've got the NON-LTZ taillights coming (those are the ones I am familiar with), but.....

What the heck is the difference(s) on the LTZ taillights? Every junkyard I contacted, first question from them was "Is it an LTZ or a non-LTZ?".

In other words, anyone out there have some pics of 91-92 Caprice LTZ taillights?

------------------

Ed Runnion -- Santa Clara CA -- 96 BBB, Many Mods
[email protected]
www.runnion.net
ROD, HAIL, SoCalSS, ISSCA, NAISSO

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The std. Caprice & the LTZ have the same tail lights, they may be confusing the LTZ with the SS, the '92 vs '93 & up lights or -and i'm reaching here, the std.vs the european/overseas tail lights which I believe have an amber portion for the turn signal that's mandated over there, but there's no way they'd have one of those.

------------------
Pete M. '96 DCM SS, '96 B4U Caprice, '91 9C1, '69 Impala spt cpe.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, makes sense. My guess is that it SOMEHOW got in a database that the LTZ has "different" taillights.....even though they are really the same. Since most of these places are pulling from similar databases.....well, there's your answer!

Thanks!

Ed

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does'nt the LTZ have a higher grade bliker fluid?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your want to make your 91/92 lights "different", remove (like I did)or paint the chrome bar black or body color, you'd be surprised what it does to freshen up the rear end - just a suggestion.

------------------
Pete M. '96 DCM SS, '96 B4U Caprice, '91 9C1, '69 Impala spt cpe.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
definitely. i removed the chrome strip - that was deifinitely ugly.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, if its going anywhere near you SS it is not allowed to have chrome, I ban you from putting chrome on your tailights
I wanna see a pic though, when you get them on there with the export style amber lenses. I know what the 91-92 lights look like, I've seen a million of the, but I haven't seen the amber export ones.

------------------

95 9C1 BBB, stock so far underhood, Impala Cloned on the outside.
2000 Z28 M6, also black, also still stock.
1993 454SS, also black, way beyond stock, but still street legal.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so you caught me
..... yes, blacking out the chrome strip is definitely one of the mods I'm doing on the taillights.

Still debating what else

Ed

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.....

Much to my surprise, when I FINALLY got home from work tonight (11PM) I found the second taillight on my doorstep! Sweet! I was honestly not expecting to get to see it till next week....unfortunately after the San Diego show this weekend.

So, since I am WIDE awake at midnight tonight
, I went ahead and installed them.

I used some 3M gloss-black pinstriping tape to cover up the chrome strip (took all of 5 minutes to install, and matches the BBB of the car pretty well!). Also had to "hog out" the hole on the center light for the dual filament light I use (blink blinks). AND, since my old lights had POS sockets that are EPOXYED into the buckets for those center lights (long story!), I had to install new sockets for the center lights (and solder it all into the blink blinks).

All of the above took about 1 hour.

The lights came out SWEET! The red and black really goes well with the rest of the "theme" of my car (BBB, with red accents). And the 91-92 buckets definitely work GREAT with the LEDs and blink-blinks. The lights are more "distinct" from one another than on the 93-96 buckets (where they sorta run together). And finally, those Eurolite LEDs definitely look better than the APC ones I had before!

All in all, two thumbs up on this mod!

Only thing I might try (and sorta hesitant to do it, but....) is a LITTLE bit of Nightshades on the lenses. But definitely afraid of going TOO far on that one and making the taillights too hard to see!

------------------

Ed Runnion -- Santa Clara CA -- 96 BBB, Many Mods
[email protected]
www.runnion.net
ROD, HAIL, SoCalSS, ISSCA, NAISSO

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ed, do the night shades, but after it dries, sand it with some 1200 and then shoot some clear coat on the lenses looks real clean and glossy, it is bad *** !! And if you ever go too dark you can just sand the night shades real thin and shoot some clear coat, ive been thru this before, trust me. I think you'll like it, ive seen a 92 with nightshaded taillights, it looks SWEET!!

------------------
Shane Cobb
1996 DGGM SLP true ram air hood and airbox,S-10 torque converter, 3.73 gearset,LT4 ESC Module,Hypertech,Flowmaster catback,Moog Idler arm and centerlink,Buick Brace,Chromed stock rims,Cadillac Fleetwood carpet,GM Ventvisors,275-40 eagle GSC's.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AdioSS : pictures don't take too well in the DARK at 1AM

Seriously, I'll try and get a few pics of them among the MANY pictures I'll be taking at the San Diego Qualcomm ISSCA show on Sunday. Just REALLY hoping that it doesn't rain on us....

Ed

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed, I saw your LTZ tail light mod @ Qualcomm in San Diego last weekend, and definitely agree with the 2 thumbs up you gave it, (yes, I made the 3 hour trip from Simi Valley to see my fellow brothers, but did not include my 95 BBB in the show, because I did not want to accept the most door-dinged/scrached from a fender bender/missing paint on bumpers trophy). After seeing it, I am definitely going to try and do that mod myself in the near future, (as long as I can find a pair), would Dal be able to order up a set of these for us? But I just wanted to ease your fear on going to far with the nightshades on your tail light lenses, incase you decide to add the nightshades to them. I was also worried about spraying too much myself, when I did the nightshades mod.....I did a couple coats, because I did want a dark look, but did not want to go too far. But I don't think you can go too far with this product, because before I knew it....after I was going back and fourth spraying both lens to even out the look, I found out that I ended up using the whole can of nightshades. And I don't think that the lenses are too dark at all, I can easily see the light through the lenses very good, day or night, and I don't even have the LED lights, like you have. So I would say to not worry about going too far. The only thing I do want to give you a heads up on is that, towards the very end of the can of nightshades running out……the paint started to not come out of the can as evenly when the can was full. It started to spit out tiny/bigger spots of paint……nothing really noticable to anyone else, but you will see this yourself, if take the can to the very end, which I doubt you would do anyways. So I would recommend calling it quits when you feel a good coat is on, and the can starts to almost feel empty. But I have not sanded them, and have not done the clear coat like Shane mentioned, so that might fix things all together.......thx
-Tony
[email protected]

------------------

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks really good, Ed (and SSmokeyBear, too)! I just may have to copy-cat you on that one.

------------------
Jay - HOTSS
93 DGGM Caprice "SS"

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the compliments!

I've seen these lights on Bill Harper's 96 DGGM and Gene Bennett's 96 DGGM as well. In both cases, they painted the "chrome" strip DGGM to match the car. The effect of the lights is not quite as striking on a DGGM (IMHO), but still looks good.

As for the nightshades : biggest issue there is that the LED lights are NOT as bright as stock lamps. Thus, I'd be worried about going too dark. In other words, an amount of nightshades that is fine with stock bulbs would be too much for the LEDs. After seeing what a little polishing time will do to the lenses on Tom's car, I'll probably go that route instead.

BTW, there are now links to all of the show pictures at :

www.RegionOfDoom.com/HTML/gallery.htm

On another note : discovered that there are some slight (emphasis on SLIGHT) leaks in the gasket between the lenses and buckets on these lights (i.e. got a little condensation in there during the heavy rains to/from SoCal last weekend). Little silicone outta cure that
. Also, one of the two "chrome" strips had delaminated slightly from the bucket....Epoxy will fix that one right up

Ed

[This message has been edited by AutocroSSer (edited February 16, 2001).]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts