Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I am trying to install the center caps onto my RMS. I've tried the Astro Van lug nuts but the lug nut covers are too large for the new lugnuts. Any ideas?

Pic of my caps below...

·
Registered
576 Posts
I used the same center caps and also got the wrong lug nuts for the black caps so I drilled 3 holes like on the factory correct metal caps then used chrome lug nuts.

You'll need the correct lug nuts, whatever they are??

eBay should be a good source.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the same center caps and also got the wrong lug nuts for the black caps so I drilled 3 holes like on the factory correct metal caps then used chrome lug nuts.

You'll need the correct lug nuts, whatever they are??

eBay should be a good source.
They blend in pretty nice, I might even go with five screws per cap. How did you get around the bracing on the backside of the cap?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Turn the cap over ~ you'll see 5 "support pegs" with caps on the ends. I cut them all out then drilled from the back and through the front on the 3 necessary. They line up perfectly [of course I checked first] with the 3 tapped center cap holes on the wheels. The rally wheels should have the same 3 tapped holes as the factory caps were held on this way. I used 3 stainless steel hex hed bolts about 1 1/4" long [cut off the length of about 3 threads each].

You don't want to crank down on those 3 bolts but they are plenty strong even if abs/plastic.

I would have just found and used the correct lug nuts but I had a set of the chrome lug nuts and I love to make a project :) It turned out that I like the all chrome look better IMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have lug nuts. Problem is that the truck lug nut cover is too big for the outside thread lug nut for the car. The truck lug nuts are 22mm hex while the car ones are 19mm hex.

I'll probably go with Garrison's idea on my caps as well, since it'll still offer a clean look

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turn the cap over ~ you'll see 5 "support pegs" with caps on the ends. I cut them all out then drilled from the back and through the front on the 3 necessary. They line up perfectly [of course I checked first] with the 3 tapped center cap holes on the wheels. The rally wheels should have the same 3 tapped holes as the factory caps were held on this way. I used 3 stainless steel hex hed bolts about 1 1/4" long [cut off the length of about 3 threads each].

You don't want to crank down on those 3 bolts but they are plenty strong even if abs/plastic.

I would have just found and used the correct lug nuts but I had a set of the chrome lug nuts and I love to make a project :) It turned out that I like the all chrome look better IMO.
Your 9C1's have just 3 holes? Makes sense because of the caps, but my truck rallies have 5.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I already have lug nuts. Problem is that the truck lug nut cover is too big for the outside thread lug nut for the car. The truck lug nuts are 22mm hex while the car ones are 19mm hex.

I'll probably go with Garrison's idea on my caps as well, since it'll still offer a clean look
I originally ordered the wrong chrome lug nuts [7/16-20 if anyone needs a set] for the alloy wheels I installed so I had to get the correct 12mm X 1.5's then I got the wrong type lug nuts for the black lug caps so I decided to just do it my way :)

I guess the truck Rally wheels have 5 tapped cap holes [1 between each lug hole] so the cap can be mounted with 3 cap bolts no matter how you position it. The 9c1's only have 3 so you must line up those 3 holes to install. 5 cap bolts would be a little overkill IMO.

I'm working on a retainer to fasten to the lug nuts on a 9c1 rim that will accept an old school Corvette/Camaro Rally wheel flush center cap.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like I may have found a solution!! The 2000-04 C5 Vettes used a 19mm cover with a 1.5" flange. Pic below....

The 22mm covers for those centers also use a 1.5" flange.

I'll keep everyone posted and will post pics when installed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oops, you're right!

These would be the correct ones;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12mm...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

wytltng ~ Yeah, NAPA and Advance have the Dorman lug nuts locally but they want $2.99 each so the eBay bulk is much cheaper, which was my point.
Quick question- I just bought a set of those 12mm outside thread lugnuts you linked via eBay before re-reading this thread (I want to run a center cap on the civilian steel wheels for my '93 Caprice, these wheels aren't drilled for the other rally wheel or 9c1 caps), so now I'm confused. Will those lug nuts work with the 92-98 Chevy 2wd truck caps and lug nut covers, or do I need to get Astro van center caps with what I presume are smaller inner diameter lug covers?

TIA

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Awesome! Just what I wanted to know.

So the Astro van caps use the same black lug nut caps as the 2wd GM truck caps (the ones that are the wrong size for our cars?)

Thanks a million, I didn't want it to look like I was cramping your style, lol. I do prefer the chrome caps and I'll be getting a set regardless. I'm also running the 2wd truck caps, I like them better than the Astro ones.

I love how your wheels came out, I regret selling the 15x8s I had like that on my last Impala.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not a problem. I'm happy everyone likes the look considering nobody's ever tried it. I've had nothing but compliments on how the wheels turned out. Also, I'm very happy with the handling that the 15x8's provide.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Part of why I am doing this is so I can reuse this cap set up for truck/van rallys down the road. cwm1

1 - 20 of 36 Posts