Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently had my check engine light come on in my car for the past two weeks firgured it was an O2 sensor sense that's what code came up when I took it to Auto Zone, but over the weekend she just sat in the garage and monday morning when I started her up it was fluttering pretty rough at idle so i threw it into drive and tried driving down the block and it would start getting really bad anytime I accelerated. I didn't think that the O2 would cause all of that to happen and I remembered when I took my car to get my A/C repaired my mechanic told me that he thought that there might be a problem with my plugs bc of the way it felt pulling off. Thing is I just paid for a tune up last summer new plugs, wires and a water pump so I'm confused? Also the guy at Auto Zone said that I pulled a code for my MAF? I guess my question is what do you guys think this may be? How easy is it for a newbie to change spark plugs? HELP!!

Thanks in Advance!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've recently had my check engine light come on in my car for the past two weeks firgured it was an O2 sensor sense that's what code came up when I took it to Auto Zone, but over the weekend she just sat in the garage and monday morning when I started her up it was fluttering pretty rough at idle so i threw it into drive and tried driving down the block and it would start getting really bad anytime I accelerated. I didn't think that the O2 would cause all of that to happen and I remembered when I took my car to get my A/C repaired my mechanic told me that he thought that there might be a problem with my plugs bc of the way it felt pulling off. Thing is I just paid for a tune up last summer new plugs, wires and a water pump so I'm confused? Also the guy at Auto Zone said that I pulled a code for my MAF? I guess my question is what do you guys think this may be? How easy is it for a newbie to change spark plugs? HELP!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Since you know it has codes, you should correct them first before anything else.

First, try this for the MAF code: disconnect the MAF from the engine harness and crank the car and see if it will run any different. If it runs better, the MAF is bad.
Also check all the clamps on the intake track to make sure there's no air leaks after the MAF.

Second, check the O2 sensor by disconnecting the suspect one from the engine harness, tie the pigtails up out of the way of anything hot, and take it for a test drive. If the car runs w/o a miss like this, the O2 is bad (a malf. O2 can cause a miss).

If the plugs and wires have been changed within a year as you state, they should be fine.
Give them a good visual inspection during the daytime, and later after dark, crank the car and raise the hood just enough to see around the engine (don't raise it far enough for the hood light to come on), and watch for blue arcing/flashing. If you see anything, one or more of the wires are compromised.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Also check the back two spark plug wires (#7 & 8) if they weren't routed right when the wires were changed, they may have gotten crispy from the exhaust....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried the disconnecting the MAF this morning. Everything seemed to be okay it had a little dirt on it but nothing major but when I disconnected it the car shut off? Not sure if I did what exactly what you asked but that's whut happened when I unpluged it, so after that I hooked it back up and just let the car run like that but was getting the same fluttering feeling from the engine. I wiggled all of the wires just to make sure it wasn't anything like that but no change. Also check the engine with the light off and couldn't see anything but I'll give it another check later. Today when I get off I'll check the O2 sensors.

By the way about how much does O2s cost anyway I think I'm going to change those out anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
You can get the Delco O2 sensors from RMS for about 50 a piece they have them in stock. http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=AFS75 , the dealer will charge 87.03 out the door, ask me how I know :) I just got done working on a car that had a pretty good off idle stumble, a GM dealer had replaced the plugs and wires for a meer 810 bucks for the owner(f'ing ripoff) , anyway I wanted to change the plugs and check the wires anyway and I found the #8 spark plug, passenger side cylinder closest to the firewall, was cross threaded and only held in by about 3 threads, something to check on yours I guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have a MAF and O2 codes, I wouldn't do anything with the O2's yet. Fix the MAF code first and then see how the car runs. If the MAF is dirty, clean it and see if it makes a difference. Check for vacuum leaks. The MAF code means you have unmetered air getting into the motor somehow, just have to figure out where. When was the last time the PCV was changed?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Disconnect the MAF electrical connector and then start and drive the car. If it runs much better, you are most likely leaking air after the MAF, the MAF is dirty, or the MAF is bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts