Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

MAF screen acquired...

2K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  95wagon 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I’ve already acquired a MAF screen, just can’t figure out how to remove the post.
Thank You all for your time and energy.

#2 ·
I have a few of them. Send me your zipcode to calculate shipping.

#3 ·
My zip code is; 92240
Southern California.
I'm missing the retainer ‘C’ clip as well.
If you have one of those also then my problem can all be handled in one transaction.
I would be happy to include another $10 on top of the shipping for your time and trouble...
If that’s not sufficient please let me know. I’m sure we can come to an agreement fair to us both...
Thank you very much for your response and offer.
I really appreciate it...

#4 ·
I will let you this weekend, have them buried in a box somewhere in the garage!

#5 ·
I have most of my spare parts I’ve replaced also on shelves and boxes in my garage so I understand completely.
I will be patient as I am so very thankful to get your response, and locate someone who has one they can let go of.
I appreciate your time and energy in helping me resolve this problem.
Have a great day !
I hope to hear back from you soon.
Thank you again !!!

#6 ·
Good luck with your search this weekend JZ9C1...
I want to thank you again for being willing to try and locate one of these screens for me in your spare parts.
You’re the only response I’ve gotten so far from the forum so I’m hopeful and have my ?...

Have a great day, a better weekend, and the best beyond...

#7 ·
I had decided to reinstall my screen some time back. Couldn't find wire-thing,but didn't seem to matter. Screen "glued" itself in there as before,and can't really go anywhere anyway. Good luck,on your quest.

#8 ·
Thank you 1slow96 for the advice.
I appreciate it.
Hopefully JZ9C will have some luck this weekend, and I’ll be able to put the screen back where it NEEDS to be.
Have a great weekend..

#9 ·
I found one and will let you know on price.

#10 ·
Wow ! ?. That’s great news...
I can’t thank you enough JZ9C for taking the time to locate the screen, and the effort it took !
Please let me know how much $ I need to send you for that time and effort.
I really appreciate the help with my unique situation.

#11 ·
I have a few of them so it was just a matter of time one would be uncovered!

#13 ·
Interesting product. Thank You for that link as well. I’m still interested in the stock screen, although at some point I may see if that honeycomb is a viable fit.
looks like it’s designed for LS platforms.
I suppose I should get the smallest one but I’m not sure.
Can you recommend a size and diameter that is what’s needed for the LT1 ?
Thank You for everything you’ve done to help.
I appreciate it very much !

#14 ·
Yeah, the newer 'replacement' sensors for our cars now have them too. At least some of them. These are the plastic housing ones. With conversations with Jason?, he said he can make any size one needs. Just need to measure ID. At one point, he offered a 2 pack and 3 pack version of the different ratios and cell sizes. I recall using the 1/2" or 5/8" length one in 86mm which fit perfectly in 3.5" OD aluminum tubing. Really smoothed out the readings and my idle that was just all over the place cause of the cam.

#16 ·
In looking at how the K&N CAI filter goes onto the MAF and wondering if it would have room to be installed.
The MAF has a rubber adapter that goes between the filter and MAF, it’s hard to see how it would fit in there unless it’s as thin as the original screen, and wouldn’t protrude beyond the front lip of the stock MAF.
There is room in the MAF, and since you have personal experience with it I’m inclined to take your word on the fitment.
Does your application have a K&N cold air intake on it also ?

#15 ·
Thank you for the additional information 91SS !
Is this Jason person you spoke of with saxonpc ?
The company that offers these honeycomb airflow straighteners ?
Or his he an individual that also uses these honeycomb type units and fabricates them to fit the 96 Impala’s specific application ?

I’m still interested in the stock screen though JZ1C, so I have a MAF with all the components in place that it was designed to have.
Please let me know when you’ve calculated the shipping cost, and whatever fair compensation you request for your time.

I’m wanting to start doing some tuning here shortly and the first step is to make sure all the sensors, mechanicals, and electricals are operating properly.
Thank you all, for your time and effort in disseminating your advice and information on this topic...

#17 ·
Hello JZ9C.
I’ve sent you a couple PMs that includes my address so you can calculate.the shipping.
I’m not sure if you’ve checked your Messages or not.
I’ll be waiting to hear back from you as I’m still very interested in having the stock screen back in.
Thank you JZ9C...

#19 ·
Here's a pic of my set up. The honeycomb is at the engine side in the aluminum tubing (just under the radiator hose bend) the filter attaches to. So it's around 6" from the MAF sensor element (right at the oil filler cap). That's a slot sensor if you haven't seen one. Nice thing about them is that they can be inserted into any straight tubing and you output curve is based on the diameter of that tube.

#20 ·
I can see from the pic you’ve included, that you do have some room between your filter and the slot MAF (I’ve only read about and researched online) you have installed.
My filter attaches almost directly to my MAF using a rubber adapter, so there’s not much room for a lengthy screen, but there is about an inch and a half of clearance from the wire sensors to the front lip of the MAF, which is plenty of room for a 1/2” thick honeycomb screen.
I’ve often considered relocating my MAF closer to the throttle body, and further from the filter, halfway in between would probably work best to isolate it from both the filter and throttle body’s induced turbulence.

See what I mean...
The MAF is right next to my Filter in the box in front of the windshield washer fluid tank.

#21 ·
I wonder if I could go with a slot sensor like you have done, placed in the center of the hard K&N Air Tube with a honeycomb screen in-line right before it...
Do you know if they make a slot sensor for the 96 Impala that I would be able to use ?
Thank you 91ss for your time and the helpful advice.
I appreciate it very much !

#22 ·
The honeycomb extending into the couple would give you a longer straighter tract. Does the coupler go over the filter snout or into it? You could possible target one for there just taking care to not over tighten.

#23 ·
The adapter goes over the OF of the MAF, so internally there no interference with placing one there, and the filter goes over the adapter, so there’s no interference there either.
It’s more of an issue of the available room between the two.

#24 ·
The adapter goes over the OD of the MAF, so internally there no interference with placing one there, and the filter goes over the adapter, so there’s no interference there either.
It’s more of an issue of the available space between the two.

#25 ·
You probably could use a slot too like you're thinking. There are mounting flanges that you can epoxy to the tube. You might even get slick about it and do it unseen from underneath and use a dummy hollowed out stock one for appearances ;) It be just calculating the new flow curve in that size tube.

#26 ·
Excellent suggestions, I’ll look into them and see what I can come up with.
I’ll run it by you first before I do anything on my own regarding this potential upgrade.
Especially IF there is a problem with the new MAF and California’s state smog requirements.
This would address both...
Thank you again !!!

#27 ·

Attachments

#30 ·
I have seen a couple other sites offering these honeycomb style screens for the MAF.
My impression is the deeper the screen, the better it will affect the straightening of the airflow going through the MAF.
With that in mind, using a 2 or 3 inch deep screen should produce the best results as long as the openings are large enough to not restrict the flow...
Thank you 95Wagon for the response and advice.

#28 ·
Hard to tell in the picture, but the screens are all about length vs diameter or L:d

The Treadstone has larger "pores", but it looks longer than the stock one. Guessing that if you measure the diameter of the pores and divide by the length of them (thickness), they'll be similar. So assuming you have the room for the additional length, and the L:d is similar or greater than the stock one, you should be fine.

#29 ·
And no I didn't read it all :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.