Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been dealing with strong gas odor from the charcaol canister. Today I swapped out the little 3 pronged black piece at the canister. The old one, the diafram in it didn't seem to move like the one that I put on it, I could here it moving inside when I put pressure on it (mouth).
I ALSO noticed that the MAF was not plugged in. I thought if that was undone the car would not run!?!?!?!?!? It's been some time since I have been on that area of car so who knows how long it has been that way. If has always ran fine.
WTF???
Could the strong gas odors from the canister be related to the maf being as it was?????
When I did pull the little 3 outlet black thing it did have a little gas in it. This week end I am goign to replace the canister.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
could be from the mass. no accurate reading of air makes it run rich
no maf no go....if the car even starts, you will just get a CEL and amotor that will rev / blog down and you wont be able to do anything other then idle.

·
Registered
576 Posts
no maf no go....if the car even starts, you will just get a CEL and amotor that will rev / blog down and you wont be able to do anything other then idle.
It'll run pretty good with the MAF disconnected actually.

The MAF would have nothing to do do with the pressure inside your fuel tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its been off for sometime I think. it was OFF, not just on my a thread so to speak. My MPG seemed down.
I still seem to get a lot of pressure back out the gas cap when I take it off.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If the car has been tuned well, then it will run, but set a cell.
My stock engine would start without the MAF just run like crap until I tuned it.
It all has to do with injector size and VE tables being correct to get the BLM's close to 128.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
car will run with maf unplugged. Will go to SD mode, and run like crap but will run.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The FSM doesn't specify exactly but it wouldn't surprise me if the ecm doesn't vent the canister while it's in open loop mode (as it would be without MAF). This explains your drop in MPG as well.

I'd see if the situation improves with the MAF working (and no check engine light) before throwing more parts at it. The canister vent solenoid should throw a code if there is an electrical problem with it.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
my 96 was not drivable with the maf unplugged.

ask babyblue it sounded like the motor was going to break...reving it would just fall on its face would not go anywhere

maybe its something with odb1 vs odb2

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's been MONTHS since I messed with the Air Box so it's been undone that long. It always ran well, maybe a little roughness at idle at a light which seems to have gone away now. Would explain my not so good MPG on the HWY. Then with all this heat in Cincy (95 degree for days and days now) maybe the car was running rich and the heat and the richness the car was running was over loading the canister???? I smell nothing now when the other day almost when I started it, it STANK.
I guess with OBII it will run with no MAF connected? I know my 94 9C1 would not.
And I can not tell about CEL's cause it's been on for the Canister system issues and now smog pump deleted but no PCM update for it. I have put used electrical parts in the canister system so I am going on that those fixed any issue there, sure it was used but chances of those being shot also, slim. Just ot be safe, i will grab more next time I am in the junk yard, they are like a buck a piece.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love my local Pull and Pay. Not to be rude but they have chicks running the registers and they have NO CLUE what they are looking at sometimes and way undercharge for parts. Ha ha ha. I know I walked out with the two front inner wheel wells for like 9 bucks a pc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
maf might be bad. or pcm.

I did a tune up on my car due to lack of power and poor mpg. spark plugs, cap and rotor. both old plugs and cap and rotor looked pretty good. so i figured i would do the timing chain and sprockets too. the chain was really loose. new water pump too. took it for a test drive and had more power than before. 2 days later it would barely start and run like crap. very delayed throttle. stalling. checked fuel presure, 20 psi. changed fuel pump. now just over 40 psi. srarted right up, ran like crap. new tps, ran like crap. from running this way plugs were all black. cleaned them all. unplugged maf. wont start. runs like crap with it plugged in. also, when i jump the 2 wires aldl. nothing happens. no code 12 like haynes book says. cel just sits there. but my fan and air pump come on with wires jumped.I sure would appriciate any advice. Oh. I tested the maf according to manual. I got around 4 V at idle it should be around .5 to 1 i think. thanks.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Do not jump terminals on aldl. Get a scan tool before you fry pcm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts