Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guys its time. I have weighed the cost's involved in making my wagon the way I want it, and its time to let it go. My budget just cant handle the investment at this time. I could just garage it, and let it sit while I save up the cash to do what I want to do. But, thats not what this car deserves. It needs to be out there being enjoyed by someone. I almost guarantee you wont find one this clean. Im asking for $5000, and I am willing to entertain trades. Id be interested in a CLEAN Suzuki Samurai first of all. But, any midsize 70s-90s 4x4 SUV could be considered. My wife and I do a lot of camping and traveling on dirt/rock roads and have decided that is the route we want to go with. While I love the B-body, and want to have one that screams on any track on any day, I have to be real and recognize that I would rather go slow off-road lol. So, make me an offer guys, lets see what sticks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Just as an FYI and if you're asking that kind of Coin, you would get much better results if you at least include a list of all the Pro's and Con's of the car. GLWS.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pros and cons

Just as an FYI and if you're asking that kind of Coin, you would get much better results if you at least include a list of all the Pro's and Con's of the car. GLWS.
90k original miles. 30k on the the OE replacement 307. Only rust on the whole car I just attached pics of. Needs the headliner fabric reglued, and a dash pad. Thats it. New tires, new brakes and lines, belts, hoses, etc, all brand new. I have almost every receipt for work ever done on this car. You will not find a cleaner one unless its already been fully restored.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pros

I actually have the original owners manual, service recommendation manual, even the business card with a Smartie taped to it that was in the ashtray when the original owner took delivery. Im currently hunting down the last of the receipts for all of the work I personally had done. You wont find one in better shape, or with better documentation. I think I may even have the original window sticker, but Ill have to check on that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
GLWS - Anyone know if these vintage Chevy's have a copy of the build sheet stuffed into the rear seat cushion underneath the springs? When I was driving around 77-79 Ford LTD-II, Tbirds and Merc's I'd always find a copy of the assembly line build sheet under the rear seat. Helpful to identify the rear axle I was looking for - but never found on many a trip to the boneyard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said, make an offer.

Shoot me an offer guys, Im ASKING $5000, or a good trade for a 4x4 SUV. Lets see what we can work out. I DO have all of the receipts for everything ever done to this car. Including the changing of windshield wiper blades! The window sticker is a possibility as well, I need to get home after work and check on that. I can provide more pics, and we can talk about delivery if that would be necessary. Lets get rollin guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too high?

Guys, you could drive this thing from NY to LA and back with you and 7 other friends in comfort. The vinyl couches, i mean seats, will soothe your tired back side and every bump will feel like mere clouds and lull the passengers to sleep. There is nothing wrong mechanically with this car. And it is 95% perfect as far as looks go. Lets hear some offers! Never know what I may take...especially if its a 4x4 of some sort (even a UTV!)

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
IDK Too High?

Did you find a NADA or KBB type place to check the going rate for your setup and corroborate your asking price? Every interested potential buyer will.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nada, kbb, and carfax

Did you find a NADA or KBB type place to check the going rate for your setup and corroborate your asking price? Every interested potential buyer will.
Yes, I will even provide a printout of the NADA and the KBB and my CarFax. Problem is, those places dont take into account the fact that mechanically, this car is almost 100% brand new. If the tranny and rear end were replaced, then it WOULD be all new. They also dont take into account the service records that have been collected, that ALWAYS boost the value of any old car. As Ive said though, 5k is my ASKING price. Talk me down. Does no one remember how to haggle??? Make me a trade offer I cant refuse. Low ball me, but offer to come pick it up yourself. Lets talk, come on now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Kbb, nada....

Obviously those sites are not the real indicator of a cars value though are they? I mean, according to KBB, the recently listed 96 Impala SS with 19 miles on it is only worth $11,687 lol. But, its listed at 31,900. So, dont act like KBB is the be all end all of pricing...they are WAY off on "classics".

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
Obviously those sites are not the real indicator of a cars value though are they? I mean, according to KBB, the recently listed 96 Impala SS with 19 miles on it is only worth $11,687 lol. But, its listed at 31,900. So, dont act like KBB is the be all end all of pricing...they are WAY off on "classics".
Listen to hear, not just to reply. I'm trying to get your car sold, not just For Sale forever. I offered those type sites for your benefit in realizing that 'value' can be a long path between your asking price v. whatever someone wants to pay. Interested parties can be counted on to use any tactics possible as leverage for a lower price, especially established and industry recognized guides out there. I certainly comprehend KBB is NOT the be all end all of pricing. I was just asking the question, not impugning your intelligence.

Next, your car is not a "classic". Sure, you're personally invested in it. And it's 30 years old. And 30-year old Vettes ain't worth DS. But, the kind of collectors or museum people buying a 20-year old Chevy with 19 miles and plastic on the seats are nowhere close to the same type as who will want your car.

Next, someone's 'listing price' no matter whether 3X (or 300X) above retail market or 1/3 (or 1%) of retail market, is no more an indication of 'value' than any given buyer's guide is. But, that remains your primary competition.

IDK what numbers the guides might be showing for your rig - don't care. But instead of summarily discounting the guides out of hand as useless and invalid, it'll be alot better to find ways to counter them by researching what cars similar to yours have actually Sold for. Then you won't have to rely on our opinion. And, don't bank on those you find still for sale since they obviously do not represent agreement on 'value' between the seller and any buyer yet.

GLWS keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Also, as much as we don't want to believe those sites, insurance companies do unfortunately. And unless you pay much higher insurance premiums for an agreed to value policy, if a 30K car gets stolen or totaled, one be out about 20K if it's kbb value is only 10K. These are the factors buyers will be needing to justify.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting old(ish) wagon, relatively rust free. The 307 is not helping the sale and neither is the color. IMHO. The damaged bumper trim and bumper corners are near impossible to find...again detracting from the appeal. Everyone who would want the car are facing the same investment challenges that you claim are the reason for your wanting to sell it. 5k is your asking price and its negotiable...however I'm sure you would be insulted by a 1k offer...unfortunately all things considered it's likely not worth much more then that even to us folks who have an affinity to the GM Wagon design. Good luck with the sale, hate to be the bearer of bad news...hope you get your asking price.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vehicle Value...

Listen to hear, not just to reply. I'm trying to get your car sold, not just For Sale forever. I offered those type sites for your benefit in realizing that 'value' can be a long path between your asking price v. whatever someone wants to pay. Interested parties can be counted on to use any tactics possible as leverage for a lower price, especially established and industry recognized guides out there. I certainly comprehend KBB is NOT the be all end all of pricing. I was just asking the question, not impugning your intelligence.

Next, your car is not a "classic". Sure, you're personally invested in it. And it's 30 years old. And 30-year old Vettes ain't worth DS. But, the kind of collectors or museum people buying a 20-year old Chevy with 19 miles and plastic on the seats are nowhere close to the same type as who will want your car.

Next, someone's 'listing price' no matter whether 3X (or 300X) above retail market or 1/3 (or 1%) of retail market, is no more an indication of 'value' than any given buyer's guide is. But, that remains your primary competition.

IDK what numbers the guides might be showing for your rig - don't care. But instead of summarily discounting the guides out of hand as useless and invalid, it'll be alot better to find ways to counter them by researching what cars similar to yours have actually Sold for. Then you won't have to rely on our opinion. And, don't bank on those you find still for sale since they obviously do not represent agreement on 'value' between the seller and any buyer yet.

GLWS keep us posted.
I have found many in worse, and better, shape than mine that have sold on Ebay motors for between 4 and $7500. None of them have as extensive records as I have. When I list it on Ebay this week, I know I will get it sold. But, it will be to someone in Chicago or St. Louis that wants to lift it and put it on 26" rims. I was hoping to save this car from that horrible fate by listing it here first. I have the CarFax report for this vehicle, absolutely 100% clean. Also, as Ive said already, I have every service record for this vehicle, which shows the impeccable level of care this vehicle has always received. If someone wants a stock car to show (with VERY little work), this is it. If someone wants a driver that they can swap a hot engine and tranny into and make a sleeper(with VERY little work), this is that car. Im just hoping to sell it to a B body enthusiast, because this car deserves more than to be a "donk". Does no one here have a 4x4 they may want to trade? That is my first choice, trading for a clean 4x4. But, if that doesnt work, then its going on Ebay motors with a reserve. Im not in a hurry to sell it, I could register and insure it again tomorrow and drive to Alaska and back no worries whatsoever. And, for the record, Im really not personally invested in it. I bought it because the price was right for such a clean vehicle and I happened to have extra cash.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting old(ish) wagon, relatively rust free. The 307 is not helping the sale and neither is the color. IMHO. The damaged bumper trim and bumper corners are near impossible to find...again detracting from the appeal. Everyone who would want the car are facing the same investment challenges that you claim are the reason for your wanting to sell it. 5k is your asking price and its negotiable...however I'm sure you would be insulted by a 1k offer...unfortunately all things considered it's likely not worth much more then that even to us folks who have an affinity to the GM Wagon design. Good luck with the sale, hate to be the bearer of bad news...hope you get your asking price.
As stated earlier, check Ebay motors sold vehicles. Search for Caprices between 77, and 90. Mine is most definitely in better condition than many of them that have sold for exactly what I am asking for. They may not be worth that to YOU, but to someone wanting a sleeper...or, God forbid...a "Donk" then this car is perfect. Good luck finding one with the miles I have, and the service documentation that I have. When I say you can drive this cross-country, Im not blowing smoke. This is the most mechanically sound 88 Caprice you will find...ever...As far as the bumper trim pieces, just tuck the bumper! Guys, I dont think the spare tire has ever even been removed. Everything is there. And yeah, it has the 307...the STOCK motor. So, having a stock motor detracts from value? I think not...Come on guys, get real here. And actually no I wouldnt be insulted by a 1k offer. Id turn it down, but not be insulted lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
There's only one person in this thread that needs to "get real here"

;-)
These have all sold already...

Chevrolet Caprice LS Brougham | eBay

Chevrolet Caprice Classic LS Brougham Sedan 4 Door | eBay

Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham Sedan 4 Door | eBay

Chevrolet Caprice Brougham | eBay

Chevrolet Caprice | eBay

Chevrolet Caprice Caprice | eBay

My car is just as nice, if not nicer, than many of those. Most of them have sold for 6k. Yes, I am missing a few things, as are most of those. However, NONE of them except for the one with a 383 perhaps, are as mechanically sound as mine. Guaranteed. Also, none of them come with the documentation that mine has. Which, as we all know, is instrumental in either collecting, or in a build portfolio. Im not being unrealistic. And, Im in no hurry. I also dont care who buys it for what purpose. If someone wants it for a 3" lift, some 26" rims, and 6 15" subwoofers, I do not care. I would rather see it go to someone who wants to do a stock restoration for shows. Or even to someone who wants to make it into a hotrod. But, money talks (or a trade...). Im open to any and all trades. 4x4's, and UTVs take precedence. But, Im open to ideas.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More...

This one here still has 5 days left, bumper fill pieces cracked, headliner needs replaced...and look at those door dents! Its already at 4000 and has 5 days left...

1984 Chevrolet Caprice | eBay

And then this one, at 3750 already, and again it has 5 days left...

Chevrolet Caprice Station Wagon | eBay

So, no, I am not asking too much. Im just giving people at this forum the chance at it first before I list it on Ebay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts