Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed on the many Impala & Caprice Forums I've logged onto, when the subject of our defective Headlights is posted an immediate "bear to honey" like interest is aroused. If you took a "what do I hate the most survey" about our cars, I believe Our Headlights would rank #1. This leads me to the question: Has GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION ever reinstated the availability of a discontinued part? If so, what can this Forum do to influence GM to make available the T84 Headlights(Pt#16519237 & 16519238) again(AT A REASONABLE GOOD FAITH PRICE)? I think, if GM realized that there is the potential of selling thousands of these T84's, the 'Supply And Demand' rule would dictate a change in policy. If anyone is motivated by this, please state your ideas. +=+Larry '96 9C1

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Larry,
This is the area that the Impala SS Club of America will shine. I seriously doubt that GM will redo many parts unless they are emissions or vital mechanical parts.

You are very correct about strength in numbers and ISSCA is already having great results in influencing manufactures to produce discontinued parts. One of the most remarkable parts is the seat covers for the SS which are available now by one of our advertisers. (Year One)

If you ever needed a reason or if you are one of those that has to know "what's in it for me?", this is your answer.

Click on the ISSCA logo above and do your part to make "strength in numbers".

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harvey did you get me email I sent you a week ago to your personal email address

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Harvey you're right, this isn't a vital mechanical part. its a VITAL SAFE DRIVING PART. To hell with seat covers, I want SAFE DRIVING HEADLIGHTS!!!!!!! Anyone else? Somebody with a little more optimism. +=+Larry '96 9C1

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LarryCigar:
If you took a "what do I hate the most survey" about our cars, I believe Our Headlights would rank #1<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be surprised if it made the top 5. Lots of people don't drive at night. Lots of people drive on lighted roads at night.

IMO, windows going off track would be #1 complaint. My personal #2 complaint is the no heat mod (twice in less than 33k) but that is because I live in cold weather country.

As for your original post about the T84s, I've answered you on another thread.

KC

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you I don't drive at night KC. I would like to hear from Impala/Caprice owners who come out after the sun goes down and are really pissed with the SCARY HEADLIGHTS on these cars. Again, what can be done to convince GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION to make the T84's available again? Am I the only man left that doesn't go to sleep at 5PM??? Ideas Ideas Ideas

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now we all realize that the T84s are NOT D.O.T. approved? Gm will not make these lights to be sold in the U.S. Of course I want a set on my Wagon, but I don't work for the D.O.T. and can't change the rulings. I think we would be better off finding the manufacturer and convincing him/her to reproduce these. Just my thought, but I don't see any reason to bark at GM when they are not going to willfully break the D.O.T. laws.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I don't drive at night KC. I would like to hear from Impala/Caprice owners who come out after the sun goes down and are really pissed with the SCARY HEADLIGHTS on these cars. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I own three sets of T84s so I figured that qualified me as someone who goes out after the sun goes down. I will admit that I don't think the OEM headlights are scary.

Again, what can be done to convince GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION to make the T84's available again? Am I the only man left that doesn't go to sleep at 5PM??? Ideas Ideas Ideas<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is an idea: Buy enough GM stock so you can run the company.

I think, if GM realized that there is the potential of selling thousands of these T84's, the 'Supply And Demand' rule would dictate a change in policy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You greatly overestimate the market. Most guys aren't willing to shell out $500 for headlights (plus the cost of redoing the wiring). I own 5 B-bodies but I was only willing to spend the $ to put T84s in two of my cars. Also, don't try to tell me the lights can me done for less than $500. Others on this forum have worked with aftermarket manufacturers and the projected price was much higher.

As I stated to you in a different thread, Street Trends has already said they are getting more T84s manufactured. You have a much better chance of getting something from them vs bugging GM for more.

KC

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello ChevmdnSS. You have taken the wind out of my "Get GM to bring back T84's" sail. I was so heated up, I forgot about the lights not being D.O.T. approved. This definitely throws a big monkeywrench on my idea! Oh well, I'm still on the StreetTrends waitting list. Gives me more time to save money up for them. +=+Larry '96 9C1

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you KC. I remember your get on Street Trends watting list post, And I did, shortly afterward. I've been so unhappy with my Headlights and the cost of getting them right that I didn't think this whole thing out. I still think GM screwed up & should have redesigned this very important part of our cars. My blood pressure is back down about 150 now. Sorry for my barking. +=+Larry '96 9C1

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, Please forgive me. But what do the T84's do for our headlights ? Why are they so expensive, and is it worth it ?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigchris:
Ok, Please forgive me. But what do the T84's do for our headlights ? Why are they so expensive, and is it worth it ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This article will hopefully answer your first question:

Factory T84 Export Headlights

As for the second question, you will notice from the above article, they used to cost $350. As I recall, somewhere along the line, GM upped the cost and then ran out of stock. Currently, it is a sellers market.

As for your third question, there are many T84 threads over in Exterior where you can pick up many opinions on the subject.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks KC Clark, I appreciate it. It seems that the T84's really help.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to change things up here, but if you think OUR B-body lights are bad, then you HAVEN't driven a 93-01 Dodge Ram! They don't even hit the ground. I'd much rather drive my Wagon at night than my Dodge, BUT I'd be really PISSED if someone ran into the Wagon, so I suffer with the Dodge.

Sorry, I had to.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rewire the lights, and aim them right and they really aren't that bad. I do 90% of my driving in the dark on roads with no lights. While I'd like better lights, I don't worry about it too much. If you don't mind giving up high beams, then wire the lows and highs to be on at the same time, and aim the lights down so you don't blind other drivers, you'd be surprised how amazing the light coming out of the stock capsules can be with some decent wiring. I have mine aimed for optimal low beam coverage, and the switch setup so the lows stay on when I trip the highs, and I think the car is putting out some amazing light. Plus I have stock wattage bulbs in right now as the white light from xenon bulbs SUCKS in the rain, it doesn't reflect back to my eyes at all, the slightly yellow tint of the stock bulbs is very good for wet weather, and thats what we get most here in the winter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
copy of my previous post:

when DAL contacted General Motors, they
told him they will NOT "give" or "outsource"
or "re-license" these T84's to anyone, they
told him the molds were destroyed, remember
these are "E code" headlights, if anyone
could get these T84's molds, the man would
of been dal, Now Jason at Streettrends found
the manufactuare and they apparently copied
the molds and he is having them reproduced,
i have no clue to when they will be available, for you newbie's trust us when
we tell you, that everyone tried there damnist to get GM to keep reproducing these
headlights, now we are on the 7 year mark
were GM starts discoutinuing everything
little part and nicknack, for our B-body's
for example GM discountinued all 4 doors
outside chrome door trim,fenders,interior
panels,carpet,leather seat covers,
"original C-pillar emblem" for 95-96 impala's now you have to use the smaller 2000 wimpala emblems,etc. etc.....

the only problem i have with year one, is
they seek out what is needed they beg GM
to lincense the product to them, and they
RAPE you with the prices, everyone has the
right to make a profit but year one is making
a 200% profit, from what i remember wasn't
year one, one of the sponsors of a bill in congress, to destroy all vechicles older
than 7yrs in junk yards. HHHMMMMMM

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with the Year One comments, but doesn't Jason want $600.+ for the 'new' lights?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chevmdnss:
I agree with the Year One comments, but doesn't Jason want $600.+ for the 'new' lights?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jason at streettrends does not have the buying
power of General Motors, and they are coming
imported from taiwan, i paid $500 for
a set from sammy back in feburary 2002.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand that, and all I was getting at was that there was a thread on here about buying T84s for approx. $350. I know they are discontinued,and cannot be found anywhere in GM's system(except RH), but somewhere we went from $350 to $600+. I know GM marked the T84s way up when they went on Disc. status. I don't care what the new ones will cost, if they are as good or better than the stock setup. Even though in South Carolina they will be illegal.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
before anyone started finding out about T84's
dal was selling them for $300-$350 for the set give or take
once they found out they were being discountiued
they meaning Sammy and Dal purchased them all,
or what ever they could find in the "GM SYSTEM"
and bumped the price up to $500 a set because
they were having to "pay up front" and "store"
these headlights, on another thread in the
group purchase section HEAVYMETALSS found
T84's in England??? but they drive on the "other side of the road" which they use T85's
when he spoke to the dealer they told him they
have T84's for $350+ a set, some dealers
do not do a correct inventory and they might
show they have them on the computer but in
reality they are all gone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts