Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope some of you can help me with this.

Installed a generic Cold Air System with a Cone Filter intaking from the driver side fender. An SES light came on a few miles after I drove the car. I tried to find a code or condition with the climate control method and all looked fine. Car is breaking up on the low end too.

Took it over to O'Reilly and they said "Mass Air Flow Control Circuit" and would not reset the SES light.

Installed CAI Kit properly, Mass Air Flow Meter is secured properly.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can comment about this?

TIA,

Jeff
96 RMS

More info: I did the tap on the MAF, no change. Tested first two pins on MAF Sensor Plug with the Engine Running and the voltage was 4.97 at idle. The lady (girl) at the parts store would not tell me the code reference or reset the code

·
Registered
887 Posts
Did you install an oiled filter such as a K&N? If so try cleaning off the mass air flow sensor by spraying it with some MAF cleaner. My K&N came with what seemed like way too much oil when I first got it and would gunk the sensor up all the time.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
In addition to Scuba Steve's advice, you'd be surprised how often some people accidentally replace the MAF sensor facing the wrong way. I did, then I wondered why the MAF was throwing codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the replies! I tried disconnecting the battery for 15 mins. to clear code(s) and did not. The MAF is installed with the arrows facing the motor and it is not a pre-oiled filter.

Thanks again,

Jeff
96 RMS

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Did you get/need a MAF extension harness for the CAI setup you installed?

I ask because the RAISS was the first mod I did when I got my 9C1 back in 12/2003. I didn't realize it when I installed the MAF extension harness as it allowed me to install the harness 180' out.

The car started the after the install and ran fine. When I went into AutoZone to get some other stuff, and returned to my car I could not get the car to start, and the CEL was lit.

I came to find out that the extension harness that was shipped with the RAISS used cheapie connectors, and they weren't keyed and I installed the harness 180' out of phase.

Try looking at that if you have an extension harness installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get/need a MAF extension harness for the CAI setup you installed?

I ask because the RAISS was the first mod I did when I got my 9C1 back in 12/2003. I didn't realize it when I installed the MAF extension harness as it allowed me to install the harness 180' out.

The car started the after the install and ran fine. When I went into AutoZone to get some other stuff, and returned to my car I could not get the car to start, and the CEL was lit.

I came to find out that the extension harness that was shipped with the RAISS used cheapie connectors, and they weren't keyed and I installed the harness 180' out of phase.

Try looking at that if you have an extension harness installed.
Thanks for your reply. With the CAI setup I installed, I did not get the RAISS and did not need to extend the MAF harness plug.

Thanks again!

Jeff
96 RMS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts