Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

I'm not making any moves yet, but can you tell me which parts of our car are serialized and unique to each car? I'm pretty sure the block and transmission bell housing, but what else? Heads? Any other weird things? Thanks, I would like to do a 383/396 in the future, but want my car to keep everything that is uniquely "hers".

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Good Afternoon,

I'm not making any moves yet, but can you tell me which parts of our car are serialized and unique to each car? I'm pretty sure the block and transmission bell housing, but what else? Heads? Any other weird things? Thanks, I would like to do a 383/396 in the future, but want my car to keep everything that is uniquely "hers".

As far as I know, the frame, engine, and body are it.

If I was going to do what you're looking at doing, I'd pull the engine and transmission, and crate it in the back of the garage.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.....I'm not making any moves yet, but can you tell me which parts of our car are serialized and unique to each car.....I would like to do a 383/396 in the future......
Just mod the engine and transmission that you already have on the car. The serialized numbers (if there are any) will remain the same.

In any case......I think you're barking up a tree on this one. Just consider......that every single one or the 70,000 (or so) Impala SS sold recieved the same engine/heads/transmission/rear-end.

Then consider that a couple hundred thousand Caprices have the same engine/heads/transmission/(and in the case of 9C1's) rear ends.....the net result is that a numbers matching Impala SS will have zero value over a non-numbers matching Impala SS.

IMHO. of course....

KW

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
In 1980 a 60's GTO was just another old car. Junk it, swap motors, do anything because, hell, "They ain't worth nuthin". Same with a Charger or Eldo or boattail Riv...pick your poison...

In 1988 I sold a complete but rough and disassembled '56 Bel Air coupe for $75 because it really wasn't worth the effort, and I waned a new Trans Am and needed the garage space...

Matching numbers and original color and options will bring a premium to future collectors with these cars as well. Just a question of when and how much. If someone really thinks they'll have it that long then putting the original engine and trans in the back of the shop, especially considering how easy and cheap others can be had right now, is a smart idea.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I'll have to go with KW on this one. Matching numbers is a big deal if you have a car with an optional, higher performance engine. No one gets all squishy about a '69 Camaro with a numbers matching inline 6. A 427 is a different story, however. Since all Impalas had the same engine, transmission and rear gear ratio, I'd say it won't make a huge difference in collector value.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
I can buy in to the premise that numbers matching equates to little on any 'million built same as the other' model run, - in fact just like my son's '88 Monte SS. I stuck a stout stroker in it but still have the original 5.0 longblock tucked under the workbench. Don't ask me why. Old farts do stupid stuff that has a bad habit of turning out not so dumb in the long haul eh. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
*shrug* They built how many Tri-5 Chevys? When they were 15 years old they were just old, worthless cars, too. There's not a one now that isn't worth money and not a one that isn't worth more because it's numbers matching, whatever drivetrain it had originally, than one that's cobbled together except for relatively few and exceptional customs.

There's nothing to do about it if you chuck a rod or something, but if you're pulling a good motor anyway there's certainly nothing to lose by hedging your bets.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just mod the engine and transmission that you already have on the car. The serialized numbers (if there are any) will remain the same.

In any case......I think you're barking up a tree on this one. Just consider......that every single one or the 70,000 (or so) Impala SS sold recieved the same engine/heads/transmission/rear-end.

Then consider that a couple hundred thousand Caprices have the same engine/heads/transmission/(and in the case of 9C1's) rear ends.....the net result is that a numbers matching Impala SS will have zero value over a non-numbers matching Impala SS.

IMHO. of course....

KW

i sure wish the current prices reflected this. dont know if this has anything to do with the value of them in the future, but i've never seen an all original low mileage 96 caprice with all the same options as a impala ss go for anything in the mid teens to low to mid 20s like a pristine impala ss. not my honest opinion, just a fact. im gonna hold on my original window sticker as proof thats my car is not a clone. i may be barking up the wrong tree, but in my opinion, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't mention anything about value for a reason. I'm a strange man and would just like her to keep what she came with for my own happiness. **** I already had to change the passenger door and radiator support thanks to my wife, so she is no collector item. Just a car I want to keep whole and love and put more TQ and horses in :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts